Investing Strategies. What is your move?

tellya all what I think,right now if you dont know where to put your money the 7 day yield on most brokerage MMA's is about 4.7 to 4.9%..

Or a 3,4,5 year CD ladder. Lock in higher rates while they’re available.

Or a 3,4,5 year CD ladder. Lock in higher rates while they’re available.
yeah, you can lock em in or miss out on higher rates, .. and by locking into CD's you also miss the opprtunity to swtch over to bond funds when the interest rate is falling.. that is the play. One thing I know for sure is if I had a crystal ball, I would own the street named Wall. :)

That's a good dollar cost averaging mechanism, do you have any plan on when to sell them eventually?

Thinking about it last night after seeing your question, once this 12 month period is up I may sell all the shares I purchase this year and put the money into an index fund such as FTSE100. And then start the process again of buying small quantities of stocks each month. Hopefully in January I can increase my monthly spend on stocks to £150 or £200 a month.

My thought process is I'm 'saving' up a small lump of money over a 12 month period and then putting it into something more secure for the long-term. During that 12 month period hopefully I turn the small lump I save into something a little bit better, albeit I understand it carries a higher risk. That said, by building up a portfolio of lots of small stocks over 12 months the risk is minimised.

I'm currently 30, we have savings but don't get a great deal from the bank for them. I see trying this method as being a bit more exciting with a better potential and also it's nice to do it for yourself.

Something else I have to consider is I'm currently doing this through eToro. I picked this as I liked the user interface and I saw a few good reviews about it when I did a bit of research online. Is there a better value alternative?

I dont think there is any issue with banks. I think it's typical cycle part of slowing the economy. Banks fail all the time but now the media will be making each one sound like the end of the world.
All I know is my wife and I got lucky once again. Just like we bought a new home in 2006 and a short while later values in our area went through the roof the same is happening right now on the house we closed on 6 weeks ago. Area has taken off, builder cutting back on included options, prices going up, they cant build them fast enough.
This is based on my micro environment = the Carolinas

Nationally homes sales taking off but this area, never stopped and is now insane.

I dont think there is any issue with banks. I think it's typical cycle part of slowing the economy. Banks fail all the time but now the media will be making each one sound like the end of the world.
All I know is my wife and I got lucky once again. Just like we bought a new home in 2006 and a short while later values in our area went through the roof the same is happening right now on the house we closed on 6 weeks ago. Area has taken off, builder cutting back on included options, prices going up, they cant build them fast enough.
This is based on my micro environment = the Carolinas

Nationally homes sales taking off but this area, never stopped and is now insane.

There is that old saying, when your neighbor loses his job it’s a recession. When you lose your job then it’s a depression.

The same could be said about banks.

A number of banks are now under pressure. Some news that broke this morning was that TD Bank (Toronto Dominion) pulled the plug on their planned acquisition of First Horizon Bank. TD is no slouch. They got spooked.

The banking problem is a management issue. Management's decisions could not withstand the old fashioned bank run, even though they were solvent.

In a way, yes as the current managers had no idea of historical consequences.

It started with extremely high increases in spending out of DC which led to inflation which affected fixed income instruments. The banks didn’t adapt because of lack of knowledge and more importantly that all this happened in a short period of time.

The commercial real estate sector is starting to show its vulnerability.

All this tells me that we should be vigilant. Those who prepare now for difficult times ahead will be better off than those who say it’s different this time.

The banking problem is a management issue. Management's decisions could not withstand the old fashioned bank run, even though they were solvent.
Many small banks are just not able to withstand bank run no matter how well they are managed. SVB for example have a bank run with VCs telling their startups to move money out of SVB in short notice, and FRB had a business model of attracting high net worth clients (only 30-40% FDIC insured deposit) and therefore low default rate and high profit per labor cost (each loan is bigger, no credit card to deal with, and chances to sell them investment products), but they run fast when in fear of collapse which leads to collapse. Then there are banks who were holding onto a lot of worthless debt after interest rate rising too fast, but they cannot hold them to maturity, and they are not too big to fail.

In a way, yes as the current managers had no idea of historical consequences.

It started with extremely high increases in spending out of DC which led to inflation which affected fixed income instruments. The banks didn’t adapt because of lack of knowledge and more importantly that all this happened in a short period of time.

The commercial real estate sector is starting to show its vulnerability.

All this tells me that we should be vigilant. Those who prepare now for difficult times ahead will be better off than those who say it’s different this time.
Oh they knew... Management chose their liquidity; the regulators were handcuffed and were lax at the same time.

Many small banks are just not able to withstand bank run no matter how well they are managed. SVB for example have a bank run with VCs telling their startups to move money out of SVB in short notice, and FRB had a business model of attracting high net worth clients (only 30-40% FDIC insured deposit) and therefore low default rate and high profit per labor cost (each loan is bigger, no credit card to deal with, and chances to sell them investment products), but they run fast when in fear of collapse which leads to collapse. Then there are banks who were holding onto a lot of worthless debt after interest rate rising too fast, but they cannot hold them to maturity, and they are not too big to fail.
Disagree. They overextended themselves because they made more money by selling more loans with respect to cash reserves. In a way they were forced to, with low interest rates. But that's the business they are in.

First Horizon Bank - FHN is down 30% today. TD Bank had been trying to buy them at $25 a share. Regulators weren't going to let that happen. Everything I read is TD still wanted them.

There trading around $10.

I wish I had a better understanding of how to research banks. I know enough to know I don't know enough so I stay out.

Disagree. They overextended themselves because they made more money by selling more loans with respect to cash reserves. In a way they were forced to, with low interest rates. But that's the business they are in.
Not what I read (no expert). They doubled their book in a short period due to all the money pouring into silicon valley. How they got that money was inconsequential to their failure. They needed to invest their money into something, so they chose long term treasuries and MBS's. When Interest rates starting rising, those investments lost a ton of money - which any person with a 3rd grade education and a walmart calculator can figure out.

They should have been liquidating those positions as soon as interest rates started going up. It would have been at a loss, but they may have remained solvent. Instead they waited to long and tried to fire sale a bunch in mass. This caused them to drop 50% in value, which made them insolvent not just illiquid. Some tech VC's caught wind of this and told their clients to get out if they could. It was a bank run but on an insolvent bank.

Regulators should have seen this coming, apparently they don't own a calculator or posses 3rd grade math skills either.

The official narrative from the fed basically says exactly this. https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/svb-review-20230428.pdf

As an aside, I can't keep but thinking the social security trust fund is 100% invested in treasuries.

Back