Investing Strategies. What is your move?

Interesting that so many commodities have already cooled off. That report is early June weighted. See what the asinine Fed does.

The chatter seems to be centered around the timing of the peak of the inflation cycle. The experts say it has peaked but their estimates that it peaked in May were obviously incorrect. Now they are saying that June is the peak.

I’m no expert of course but trying to call a peak here is a folly. The Fed is still too far behind the curve at this point.

The chatter seems to be centered around the timing of the peak of the inflation cycle. The experts say it has peaked but their estimates that it peaked in May were obviously incorrect. Now they are saying that June is the peak.

I’m no expert of course but trying to call a peak here is a folly. The Fed is still too far behind the curve at this point.
Yeah what ANY of the HEADS words NOW are just BUTT covering.

Demand destruction - how they will reign in the current inflation (maybe).

We are seeing the beginnings of that but it is in specific sectors. Housing started to slow a couple of months back and is now accelerating. On the other hand people are traveling post lockdown.

I am watching the shipping sector especially trucking and railroad.

Bottom line is, there is nothing pretty about the Consumer Price Index number. Gas has dropped somewhat but not enough. Groceries are through the roof.
Interest rate increases will slow the economy but will cost more in the immeadiate term.

Bottom line is, there is nothing pretty about the Consumer Price Index number. Gas has dropped somewhat but not enough. Groceries are through the roof.
Interest rate increases will slow the economy but will cost more in the immeadiate term.
The only good thing is its backwards looking, not present or forward looking.
At present all commodities prices have come way down from may june july. Will they stay down? That's the $50 question.
If china quits locking down their cities oil will go UP again.

I think it’s important to view trends rather than a month to month outlook like the Fed and DC are pushing. I’m not trying to get political here but inevitably politics and the economy tend to blend together.

I would look at a six month trend in regards to the CPI and PPI. The July number might go down but that will be just a one month snapshot.

Housing will be a huge factor going forward.

Wowza, that sucks! It doesn't take long and your worth half as much as you were before.

Just for a reference and comparison, note the inflation rate of March, 1980 as stated in this paragraph from todays commentary on ShadowStats.

“The ShadowStats Alternate CPI Annual Inflation Index level (1980 Base) broadly has been confirmed by the general movements of, and increases in the Price of Gold since President Nixon closed the Gold Window in 1971. That is reviewed and will be detailed anew in pending No. 1461. Designed to reverse the inflation-reduction methodological gimmicks of the early 1980s, and after, the headline ShadowStats Alternate Inflation Index in June 2022 jumped to 17.3% year-to-year, from 16.5% in April and 16.8% in March 2022, on top of the underlying headline CPI-U rebound, up from 16.0% in February, 15.6% in January, 15.1% in December 2021 and 14.9% in November, again, with the headline June 2022 inflation at its strongest reading since 17.6% in the traditional CPI reporting of June of 1947, topping an interim peak of 14.8% in March of 1980, when the headline CPI of the time still was the same series that would become the ShadowStats Alternate Inflation Series, after January 1982.”

I think it’s important to view trends rather than a month to month outlook like the Fed and DC are pushing. I’m not trying to get political here but inevitably politics and the economy tend to blend together.

I would look at a six month trend in regards to the CPI and PPI. The July number might go down but that will be just a one month snapshot.

Housing will be a huge factor going forward.
Agreed. This is true of just about everything economic. Especially cause and effect. Short term is simply a result of longer term factors; reaction results take time to emerge.
Not to mention regional, country and world wide economic conditions.

6 months is nothing in Economics. Economic recovery takes at least twice as long as decline. Often times years.

Just for a reference and comparison, note the inflation rate of March, 1980 as stated in this paragraph from todays commentary on ShadowStats.

“The ShadowStats Alternate CPI Annual Inflation Index level (1980 Base) broadly has been confirmed by the general movements of, and increases in the Price of Gold since President Nixon closed the Gold Window in 1971. That is reviewed and will be detailed anew in pending No. 1461. Designed to reverse the inflation-reduction methodological gimmicks of the early 1980s, and after, the headline ShadowStats Alternate Inflation Index in June 2022 jumped to 17.3% year-to-year, from 16.5% in April and 16.8% in March 2022, on top of the underlying headline CPI-U rebound, up from 16.0% in February, 15.6% in January, 15.1% in December 2021 and 14.9% in November, again, with the headline June 2022 inflation at its strongest reading since 17.6% in the traditional CPI reporting of June of 1947, topping an interim peak of 14.8% in March of 1980, when the headline CPI of the time still was the same series that would become the ShadowStats Alternate Inflation Series, after January 1982.”
Federal Chairman "big balls" Paul Volcker in the early 80s came in and fixed the 15% inflation problem by raising the fed rate to 20%. By 1983 inflation was down to 3%.

Back