Investing Strategies. What is your move?

I must have been skipping my Economics class the day my professor was talking about the benefits of draining from our Strategic Reserves and sending it overseas to reduce fuel prices in the USA.

:unsure:

With all the regulations and headaches, nobody would build a new refinery even if they were allowed to.
Yep, hence my theory that at least some of these price hikes, even a small portion, maybe $.50, could be the oil companies giving extra pressure to get back at a very anti oil administration. Funny to see begging for increased production now. Possible good side effect is getting a lot of people mad ironically which can result in future pro oil policies.

I must have been skipping my Economics class the day my professor was talking about the benefits of draining from our Strategic Reserves and sending it overseas to reduce fuel prices in the USA.

With all the regulations and headaches, nobody would build a new refinery even if they were allowed to.
Not true Dave.
In America, the newest is Targa Resources Corporation, in Channelview, Texas. Refineries are constantly being expanded.

My point is, oil companies are in the business of making money. Increased production is not the only way to do so, as shown by their current profits.

Not true Dave.
In America, the newest is Targa Resources Corporation, in Channelview, Texas. Refineries are constantly being expanded.

My point is, oil companies are in the business of making money. Increased production is not the only way to do so, as shown by their current profits.
But why don't oil companies just always use all the tactics at their disposal to keep profits at 200%, regardless of any supply crunch, war, or concern for the consumer?

But why don't oil companies just always use all the tactics at their disposal to keep profits at 200%, regardless of any supply crunch, war, or concern for the consumer?
I'm sure they are trying to do so. That's the responsibility of a for-profit company.
Companies try to balance R&D, which is not a profit center, stock and investment stategies and production for long term success.
This is the responsibility of the company Executive branch. Where do you put your money?

Not true Dave.

Some refineries have closed or are scheduled to close soon. One small one in Yorktown, Virginia, that provided fuel for the mid–Atlantic area shut down 10 years ago, and no one saw that coming.

And the markets respond in knee jerk fashion. The big surge up followed by the downdraft. It will be interesting to see the reactions to the Fed Meeting minutes which will drive the markets one way or the other.

Refiney Decline.jpg

greenies are cuttin everyones throat :(

They don't have to build new just reopen any or more of the five they closed for covid. They won't because big oil had lost 76 billion in 2020 now their making up the difference.

We need to start the planning to build nuclear power plants in this country and start the transition to electric cars. We need to end the flow of money to regimes like Russia and the countries in the Middle East. People also can do their part, driving around a bro truck while complaining about high gas prices is quite ironic.

It looks like we are giving yesterdays rally back this morning. Market opened 2% down. The Nazzy is almost down 3%.

Gents - is this thread about investing?

or is it just bickering about the same old tired topics: greedy oil companies, alternative energy, government policy, left vs. right blame?

Because, with a lot of posts in the latter set of categories, it’s going to get shut down.

Back