Internet Service Problem or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
You should be able to run speedtest.net in Opera. It ran fine for me on the CD.

I tried running speedtest.net in Opera when I tried Puppy Linux a few days ago. Speedtest.net said I needed Adobe Flash. Somehow, you must have Adobe Flash available for use when running off the CD (?). I'll try it again, but pretty sure it wouldn't run in Puppy Linux that I booted up from. Maybe it will work in Precise Puppy? I'll test it out and see.

It works in precise puppy. Whatever it needed (adobe flash I guess is what you said) in the other one is included in the precise CD.

Ok, good to know. I notice the default browser in Precise Puppy is SeaMonkey. Do you know off hand how to close down SeaMonkey and load Opera instead? I fished around for awhile and didn't see how to do that.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I would pick up a cheap D-Link ADSL modem and try that.

Is there something special about that modem, or just a suggestion to buy cheap? I went on-line (Amazon) and the cheapest D-Link ADSL modem was still around $48~$50.

This is the one I've read up on that will work with CenturyLink's service, and is also wireless which I may need for wireless laptop users that visit sometimes. It's $70.

Actiontec GT784WN-01

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
This is the one I've read up on that will work with CenturyLink's service, and is also wireless which I may need for wireless laptop users that visit sometimes. It's $70.

Actiontec GT784WN-01

I just found the one above new on Amazon for $60 to the door. Got pretty good reviews on both Best Buy and Amazon from buyers - and many said it works with CenturyLink service - just need to set it up correctly. Just placed the order. Saved a little cash, should be here in about a week.

When you boot it off the CD, you should have a red O for Opera icon near the "browse" icon. Just open it up and use it then.

In Precise Puppy 5.7.1, I don't see a red O anywhere on the desktop, or in the "Menu" > "Internet" path. I only see SeaMonkey as the only avaialble browser.

So I had a major network lock-up tonight. Tried refeshing Firefox tabs, nothing. Tried shutting down and restarting Firefox, nothing. Power cycled the modem, and it came back for 5 min then slowly the network traffic died again and tabs where churning.

Then left the modem alone and booted off the Precise Puppy CD and the internet seems to be working normally. This is strange because of what I concluded last night it looked like the modem. Maybe the modem gets reset somehow when I boot-up from Precise Puppy and SeaMonkey ... ???. Maybe it's the ethernet drivers that get messed up and the drivers in Precise Puppy snap it back to life (?).

I'm just going to let the new modem show up and go from there I guess. Don't know what else I can do for trying to pin-point the real cause.
21.gif

When you boot it off the CD, you should have a red O for Opera icon near the "browse" icon. Just open it up and use it then.

In Precise Puppy 5.7.1, I don't see a red O anywhere on the desktop, or in the "Menu" > "Internet" path. I only see SeaMonkey as the only avaialble browser.

That is weird, mine has it in both places. Hmmm.

So I had a major network lock-up tonight. Tried refeshing Firefox tabs, nothing. Tried shutting down and restarting Firefox, nothing. Power cycled the modem, and it came back for 5 min then slowly the network traffic died again and tabs where churning.

Then left the modem alone and booted off the Precise Puppy CD and the internet seems to be working normally. This is strange because of what I concluded last night it looked like the modem. Maybe the modem gets reset somehow when I boot-up from Precise Puppy and SeaMonkey ... ???. Maybe it's the ethernet drivers that get messed up and the drivers in Precise Puppy snap it back to life (?).

I'm just going to let the new modem show up and go from there I guess. Don't know what else I can do for trying to pin-point the real cause.
21.gif

The modem does not get reset on an OS boot.

It could very well be a network driver causing your issue, though.

This is the exact thing I suggested doing many pages back and it tells me your equipment is fine, the problem is Windows.

Wouldn't hurt to try the new modem anyway, though, since you already bought it.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
The modem does not get reset on an OS boot.

It could very well be a network driver causing your issue, though.

This is the exact thing I suggested doing many pages back and it tells me your equipment is fine, the problem is Windows.

Wouldn't hurt to try the new modem anyway, though, since you already bought it.

If you go back and read my trouble-shooting notes and results from last night, it was clear to me that when the network totally locked up in Windows while using Firefox, I had shut the modem off for 30 minutes to let it cool down, then powered it back up and everything worked fine again. I didn't reload Firefox or restart Window. I only powered off the modem to cool down then fired it back up, and didn't change or touch anything else.

To me that seemed pretty clear that the modem was locking up if nothing else was touched except the modem being reset by a reboot.

One more trouble-shooting round, which points to the modem again IMO.

Got 4 tabs open in Firefox, refreshed them all and they all hang/churn. Network traffic is basically dead in Task Manager.

Left Firefox churning, then launched Google Chrome and opened 2 tabs there. They also hung/churned and never loaded, and network traffic is still dead in Task Manager. Let them both up and running in their hung/churning state.

Shut off the modem for 5 minutes, then booted it back up.

Went back to Firefox and Google Chrome, and refresh the tabs in each - and all tabs loaded up. Network traffic is seen in Task Manager.

Did some speedtest.net runs, and got:
1) 0.94M down, 0.47M up w/163 ms ping
2) 0.57M down, 0.13M up w/823 ms ping 3) 0.74M down, 0.53M up w/120 ms ping
4) 1.01M down, 0.53M up w/120 ms ping

All are substantially down from normal which is around 1.20M down and 0.70M up.

The modem I have right now was bought outright by me quite a few years ago. I talked to my ISP (CenturyLink, formally Qwest) and it would be cheaper for me to just go buy another new DSL modem for $70 then to rent one or buy one from my ISP.

That is a pretty good deal. Up here, at least in this province, the ISPs follow the telephone companies' service models from the 1950s.
wink.gif

Another spitballing idea is the NIC. I'm not a hardware expert in the least, but perhaps our gurus here know what symptoms one would see from a dying NIC - as opposed to mine that died completely, which was pretty bleeding obvious, even to me.

I've never seen a NIC die in the way the OP is describing. To me it sounds like a cheap junk modem or an OS issue. He seemed to have narrowed it down to an OS issue but there is now that wildcard he posted so...
21.gif

Wait until the new modem arrives I guess and see if that fixes it.

I've never seen a NIC die like that, but I have seen a driver cause it.

Another thing to try is unplug the NIC when everything is locked up without rebooting the modem, and then plug it back in and see if things start moving again.

In my opinion everything seems to be pointing to an OS issue, not a modem problem, but now that the modem is on it's way, let us know if that fixes it.

I'm running Bitdefender Free and Malwarebytes PRO (both real time runners) ... that's it.

Looking through some of the earlier posts.... Try removing Bitdefender free, that could be your whole problem. I've seen Bitdefender give people weird problems like this before. Try something like Avast free and you might solve your problem. Worth a try anyway.

One more trouble-shooting round, which points to the modem again IMO.

Got 4 tabs open in Firefox, refreshed them all and they all hang/churn. Network traffic is basically dead in Task Manager.

Left Firefox churning, then launched Google Chrome and opened 2 tabs there. They also hung/churned and never loaded, and network traffic is still dead in Task Manager. Let them both up and running in their hung/churning state.

During this state, it might be helpful to open Task Manager, click Process tab, sort by cpu, take a screen shot and post here.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I've never seen a NIC die like that, but I have seen a driver cause it.

Another thing to try is unplug the NIC when everything is locked up without rebooting the modem, and then plug it back in and see if things start moving again.

I'll go locate the NIC box on the outside of the house and take a look inside and check connections, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back