Internet Network Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That's amusing. Will be interesting to see if the uninstalling of Bitdefender eliminates the issue.

Yep ... will report findings. Should have dumped Bitdefender a long time ago since it's given me other problems too over the last 8 months or so.

Thanks for all the help OVERKILL ...
cheers3.gif

That's amusing.

Just for reference, some sites don't return pings. I can't ping microsoft.com, either; I get a timeout, too. I believe we discussed it somewhere here before. Back in the day, particularly when dialup was king, if you wanted to find open proxies and that sort of thing, you started by pinging blocks to find active IPs. Then you'd do port scans. So, some places disabled pinging and some still do.

Don't uninstall just Bitdefender, uninstall the whole OS, if you ask me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
That's amusing.

Just for reference, some sites don't return pings. I can't ping microsoft.com, either; I get a timeout, too. I believe we discussed it somewhere here before. Back in the day, particularly when dialup was king, if you wanted to find open proxies and that sort of thing, you started by pinging blocks to find active IPs. Then you'd do port scans. So, some places disabled pinging and some still do.

Don't uninstall just Bitdefender, uninstall the whole OS, if you ask me.
wink.gif

But he can ping www.microsoft.com
wink.gif

Yes, ICMP responses were a primitive way to locate targetable hosts. At this point in time it is nothing more than annoying, LOL
grin.gif
Attacks are now targeted and thus don't take ICMP response into consideration.

Yes, I can successfully ping the www server, too. Of course, blocking ping is mostly a legacy thing, but old habits are hard to break. Besides, if I wasn't filled up with legacy knowledge, I wouldn't have knowledge at all.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
if you can score a deal on ESET NOD32 on Amazon and run that.

What is considered a good deal on it for a single machine?

$9.99 I believe Rand has got it for several times.

ZeeOSix, you can always get the 30-day trial of NOD32 and see how you like it. I generally don't mix RTP products, but I doubt there would be an issue running MWBP with NOD32.

I ended up ditching BDAV Free last night and installed NOD32. Haven't noticed any speed improvement on my dated laptop, but memory footprint seems to be lower with ESET.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

I ended up ditching BDAV Free last night and installed NOD32. Haven't noticed any speed improvement on my dated laptop, but memory footprint seems to be lower with ESET.

thumbsup2.gif

I've been using it for years (we have an Enterprise site license) and been extremely pleased with its performance.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by shanneba
You may just need to turn on IPV6 in the modem.

It looks like your modem has Gig ethernet ports.

You may just need to turn on IPV6 in the modem.
http://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/actiontec-c1000a/ipv6-turn-on.html

https://www.toppctech.com/best-dsl-modems-for-centurylink/

I would try a "Speed & Duplex" set to: 100MB full duplex or specify GB
(I wonder if your install of the updated driver may have defaulted to "Auto Negotiation")

Would it hurt to enable IPv6 in the modem? IPv6 is enabled on the network card, but not in the modem (I checked as shown in your links, thanks).

My computer can also connect wireless to my modem. I disabled the LAN (kills Cat5 connection) and connected wireless to see what happens. Have PC connectivity at this time.

Yes, the modem lights all look to be in normal status. It's a CenturyLink DSL modem, Actiontec model C1000A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back