Internet Network Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, finally lost connectivity. Notables:

Trouble-Shooting
1) NIC lights are normal - solid orange (speed) and flashing yellow (activity).
2) Modem lights are all normal.
3) Did a "ipconfig" command, and it shows the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway (screenshot below).
4) All ping test of various internet sites shows normal ping results (screen shot below).

Actions
5) I disabled Bitdefender and the NIC.
6) Rebooted computer - didn't reboot modem.
7) After Windows came back up, I enabled the NIC card with connection via Cat5 cable.
8) Left Bitdefender disabled.
9) Have an internet connection.

Will run in this configuration and see if I lose the internet again. Probably is Bitdefender ... time to dump it. I have Window Defender built into Windows 7, so might try that instead if this test shows no more lose of internet. If it still does, then I'll uninstall Bitdefender.

IP Config when Locked Up.JPG

Ping Tests when Locked Up.JPG

Dump Bitdefender and dump Windows 7 and upgrade both.
Yes, Windows Defender is now an upgrade to Bitdefender. Slowly but surely Microsoft/Windows is beginning to find ways to compromise 2nd/3rd party antivirus companies, thru interference technology . Our Window computers run better and faster using Windows Defender these days.

Understand that a tradeoff will occur using Windows Defender. You won't have the greatest of protection anymore, but your computer will run better and faster using Windows Defender.

Also, Windows 7 can't handle all the Networking technology of today. You need to upgrade to Windows 10 to "play catchup" with technology.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Yes, Windows Defender is now an upgrade to Bitdefender. Slowly but surely Microsoft/Windows is beginning to find ways to compromise 2nd/3rd party antivirus companies, thru interference technology . Our Window computers run better and faster using Windows Defender these days.

Understand that a tradeoff will occur using Windows Defender. You won't have the greatest of protection anymore, but your computer will run better and faster using Windows Defender.

Also, Windows 7 can't handle all the Networking technology of today. You need to upgrade to Windows 10 to "play catchup" with technology.

What networking technology do you feel that Windows 7 "can't handle"? Windows 7 is still wildly popular in the Enterprise and still supported due to the moving target approach Microsoft has taken with 10. The numerous threads on this board alone about how the major releases break things are a prime example of how problematic this can be.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Ok, finally lost connectivity. Notables:

Trouble-Shooting
1) NIC lights are normal - solid orange (speed) and flashing yellow (activity).
2) Modem lights are all normal.
3) Did a "ipconfig" command, and it shows the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway (screenshot below).
4) All ping test of various internet sites shows normal ping results (screen shot below).

Actions
5) I disabled Bitdefender and the NIC.
6) Rebooted computer - didn't reboot modem.
7) After Windows came back up, I enabled the NIC card with connection via Cat5 cable.
8) Left Bitdefender disabled.
9) Have an internet connection.

Will run in this configuration and see if I lose the internet again. Probably is Bitdefender ... time to dump it. I have Window Defender built into Windows 7, so might try that instead if this test shows no more lose of internet. If it still does, then I'll uninstall Bitdefender.

thumbsup2.gif

So yes, you've confirmed your NIC/drivers are fine. I would have liked to have seen you ping a domain name as I noted earlier like google.ca or microsoft.com just to confirm you can resolve DNS. This is definitely progress.

Personally, as I've suggested before, I'd dump Bitdefender and see if you can score a deal on ESET NOD32 on Amazon and run that. I've never had these sorts of problems with it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
if you can score a deal on ESET NOD32 on Amazon and run that.

What is considered a good deal on it for a single machine?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

My goal is to keep this Windows 7 machine running until Win7 is no longer supported. My computer works fine when things like this aren't popping up. Yeah, Bitdefender seems to becoming a "bad player" over the last 8 months or so.

I'm also running Malwarebytes Premium (full real time version) which seems very stable. So I'll most likely dump Bitdefender and enable Windows Defender for now. Or just run only Malwarebytes Premium. Not sure if Malwarebytes gives me total protection from all threats. I've been running both Malwarebytes and Bitdefender together for 2+ years and never had conflict issues.

Maybe I can pick up something like what OVERKILL suggested (ESET NOD32) over the Holidays for a good price.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
if you can score a deal on ESET NOD32 on Amazon and run that.

What is considered a good deal on it for a single machine?

$9.99 I believe Rand has got it for several times.

ZeeOSix, you can always get the 30-day trial of NOD32 and see how you like it. I generally don't mix RTP products, but I doubt there would be an issue running MWBP with NOD32.

thumbsup2.gif

So yes, you've confirmed your NIC/drivers are fine. I would have liked to have seen you ping a domain name as I noted earlier like google.ca or microsoft.com just to confirm you can resolve DNS. This is definitely progress.

I pinged 172.217.14.227 which is Google.ca (see ping screenshot above). Plus, isn't 8.8.8.8 a DNS IP? I pinged 3 IPs in my screenshot.

The new Ethernet card showed up this morning, but I won't try it until needed. Guess I have spare parts now, it's not worth returning a $16 purchase from Amazon.

Will post findings of connectivity stability from my current configuration of disabling Bitdefender

LOL, yes, you pinged the IP, but I wanted you to ping the actual hostname, which tests the ability to resolve google.ca to 172.217.14.227
wink.gif
It just confirms that DNS is working when the issue is present.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with that NIC, since we've confirmed yours is fine.

LOL, yes, you pinged the IP, but I wanted you to ping the actual hostname, which tests the ability to resolve google.ca to 172.217.14.227
wink.gif
It just confirms that DNS is working when the issue is present.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with that NIC, since we've confirmed yours is fine.

Not sure how to ping a hostname, I'm a network noob.
grin2.gif

Well, I'm locked up right now. Let me know how to ping a hostname.

Edit - didn't see your response above.

Just pinged 'google.ca' and ping looks good. I pinged 'microsoft.com' and it timed out.

Also, I saw this after coming out of sleep mode. The "Hub" in the modem was showing as a question mark. I disabled the NIC and re-enabled it, and the Hub showed back up. But I still don't have internet.

15448988432381644979093.jpg

Last edited:
See above, just execute the command ping google.ca

See post above, was editing.

Perfect, so try and ping another host, like microsoft.com just to confirm, if it comes back good then we know it is just your web browsing being blocked, as name resolution is taking place and traffic is being passed. At that juncture i would suggest uninstalling Bitdefender and see if that eliminates the issue.

Perfect, so try and ping another host, like microsoft.com just to confirm, if it comes back good then we know it is just your web browsing being blocked, as name resolution is taking place and traffic is being passed. At that juncture i would suggest uninstalling Bitdefender and see if that eliminates the issue.

I was editing previous post adding more info. Sucks doing this on my phone.

I pinged 'microsoft.com' multible times and all the pings timed out every attempt. The ping info showed microsoft as 104.215.148.63.

But pinging 'google.ca' works fine. Also pinged 'bobistheoilguy.com' and worked fine. Pinged 'yahoo.com' and all looks fine. Why would microsoft,com time out?

I believe I tried pinging 104.215.148.63 (microsoft) when I DID have internet, and the pings also timed out.

Yeah, they may be blocking ICMP. The fact that you can resolve DNS and ping externally should be good enough for us to conclude that this issue is related to web traffic being blocked on your PC. Uninstall Bitdefender at this juncture and see if the problem goes away.

Flushing Bitdefender using Revo Uninstaller.

Yeah, they may be blocking ICMP. The fact that you can resolve DNS and ping externally should be good enough for us to conclude that this issue is related to web traffic being blocked on your PC. Uninstall Bitdefender at this juncture and see if the problem goes away.

Discovered that you have to use 'www.microsoft.com' when doing a ping test ... then it will come back with a good ping.

If you just do 'microsoft.com' it will time out in the ping test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back