Internet Network Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the above pic the IP address of my virtual machine is 10.10.10.8, the address of my router is 10.10.10.1 on that VLAN. That's the address i would ping to confirm I could pass traffic, or another peer on the network. Though in your case since everything is in one housing (I had thought you had a separate switch based on the diagram posted earlier) it complicates that somewhat.

It is possible that the switch portion of that unit is locking up while the access point function, and thus the WiFi, continues to work. So I wouldn't necessarily blame the NIC yet, they are not an item that commonly fails.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
OK, I think you are not seeing what you need to see in IPConfig. This is what you are looking for. If you run it right now, while you have a connection, you should see something similar. Notice that it does NOT say "media disconnected" under "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection":

[Linked Image]

OK, got what you're saying now.

Yes, I saw similar information in the Local Area Network section ... even when I did a 'ipconfig' command when my connectivity was gone.

OK, the next time it happens, grab a screen cap of what comes up like I just did using the snipping tool.

So, under default gateway for you, right now, you have 192.168.0.2?

OK, the next time it happens, grab a screen cap of what comes up like I just did using the snipping tool.

So, under default gateway for you, right now, you have 192.168.0.2?

I'm running via Cat5 between my NIC and modem right now.

Right now, it's IPv4 Address of 192.168.0.2 and Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1.

OK, then the one you need to be pinging is 192.168.0.1, you will always be able to ping your own IP if it thinks it has a link, as the traffic doesn't leave the NIC.

Also, you can't be logging into your modem at 192.168.0.2 if that's your computer's IP address, it would be 192.168.0.1.

OK, then the one you need to be pinging is 192.168.0.1, you will always be able to ping your own IP if it thinks it has a link, as the traffic doesn't leave the NIC.

Ok, I'll try that ping test if it locks up again.

In previous posts I did mention I could ping various internet sites (ie, 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2) successfully when I was locked up.

Also, you can't be logging into your modem at 192.168.0.2 if that's your computer's IP address, it would be 192.168.0.1.

Yep ... I can only log into my modem via 192.168.0.1.

But when I'm locked up I can not log into my modem. I can ping it, but can't log in to it.

Just to clarify, you are getting the same TTL messages (not timed out) when you can't browse when you ping 192.168.0.1?

Again, I'd suggest taking a screen shot using the snipping tool to show me exactly what you are seeing from your pings when this issue is occurring.

If you can ping your router, and past your router, then the issue is not your NIC, and it probably isn't your router, if you can reach external IP's.

Just to clarify, you are getting the same TTL messages (not timed out) when you can't browse when you ping 192.168.0.1?

Again, I'd suggest taking a screen shot using the snipping tool to show me exactly what you are seeing from your pings when this issue is occurring.

If you can ping your router, and past your router, then the issue is not your NIC, and it probably isn't your router, if you can reach external IP's.

I know I pinged outside IP addresses (8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2) when I was locked up and the ping results looked normal (no time outs, 0% loss), ... same as if I wasn't locked up.

If it's not my NIC or modem ... then could it actually be my internet provider having some intermittant issue? Like I mentioned before, my smart phone and smart TVs all steam and work fine through the wireless side of the modem.

Are you still running Bitdefender on this computer?

If it is proxying your web browsing, you'll be able to ping but not browse if it buggers up.

If it is proxying your web browsing, you'll be able to ping but not browse if it buggers up.

Yes, still running Bitdefender Free. I think I even tried disabling Bitdefender when I was locked up but that didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I need to disable Bitdefender as soon as possible after the computer boots up. Or disable my NIC ... reboot and disable Bitdefender, then enable the NIC.

As mentioned, the only thing that seems to bring back connectivity is a computer reboot. And even with a computer reboot it sometimes doesn't come back, and when it does it can crash in 5 minutes or crash 12 hours later ... very random.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yes, still running Bitdefender Free. I think I even tried disabling Bitdefender when I was locked up but that didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I need to disable Bitdefender as soon as possible after the computer boots up. Or disable my NIC ... reboot and disable Bitdefender, then enable the NIC.

As mentioned, the only thing that seems to bring back connectivity is a computer reboot. And even with a computer reboot it sometimes doesn't come back, and when it does it can crash in 5 minutes or crash 12 hours later ... very random.

Disabling Bitdefender isn't going to help if it uses a driver that interfaces with your TCP/IP traffic.

So, when the issue occurs, try pinging 208.67.222.222 and maybe a website like google.ca or something, see if it can resolve DNS. If both come back positive, but you can't get to a site, I'd uninstall Bitdefender and see if that resolves it.

Disabling Bitdefender isn't going to help if it uses a driver that interfaces with your TCP/IP traffic.

So, when the issue occurs, try pinging 208.67.222.222 and maybe a website like google.ca or something, see if it can resolve DNS. If both come back positive, but you can't get to a site, I'd uninstall Bitdefender and see if that resolves it.

Ok, will do. Is there any IP address I can ping when I'm not locked up to verify Bitdefender might be causing this network issue?

Isn't Google IP 8.8.8.8 a DNS? I recall I could ping that successfully when I was locked up.

If it is Bitdefender, maybe one of the Bitdefender updates in the last couple days caused something (?). I've ran Bitdefender for 2+ years and haven't had issues with it, except for it's causing a Blue Screen crash when I tried logging into my bank's super secure website. I excluded that website in Bitdefender and it never Blue Screen crashed again.

I should just get rid of Bitdefender and use some other free anti-virus program.

Last edited:
Negative. You need to confirm that you can pass traffic when the issue occurs. If you can, then your NIC is definitely not the culprit and if you can resolve DNS and ping external sites, your router is likely not the culprit either, which means something is blocking web traffic on your computer and it's a safe bet that is likely Bitdefender.

Negative. You need to confirm that you can pass traffic when the issue occurs. If you can, then your NIC is definitely not the culprit and if you can resolve DNS and ping external sites, your router is likely not the culprit either, which means something is blocking web traffic on your computer and it's a safe bet that is likely Bitdefender.

I added info in my last post in case you didn't see it.

I think I recall being able to ping outside IPs such as 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 and others when I was locked up.

^^^ Ok, just need a lock-up event now. Probably won't lock up for weeks now ...
lol.gif

I think I'll be able to ping anything successfully when it's locked up based on my past pinging tests of 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2. If it is Bitdefender I'll definately uninstall it and probably won't need the new NIC card, but it's on its way ... it was only $16 so no big loss. Can't hurt to have it for spare parts if not needed right now.

Thanks for all the help OVERKILL.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back