Internet freedom in peril

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/21/proposed-heavy-restrictions-internet-freedoms/
Quote:
The days of an open, largely unregulated Internet may soon come to an end.

A bill making its way through Congress proposes to give the U.S. government authority over all networks considered part of the nation's critical infrastructure. Under the proposed Cybersecurity Act of 2009, the president would have the authority to shut down Internet traffic to protect national security.

The government also would have access to digital data from a vast array of industries including banking, telecommunications and energy. A second bill, meanwhile, would create a national cybersecurity adviser -- commonly referred to as the cybersecurity czar -- within the White House to coordinate strategy with a wide range of federal agencies involved.

Quote:
The bill would allow the government to create a detailed set of standards for cybersecurity, as well as take over the process of certifying IT technicians. But many in the technology sector say the government is simply ill-equipped to get involved at the technical level, said Franck Journoud, a policy analyst with the Business Software Alliance.

Not good.

The Constitution's protections mean little now a days.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
would this step over freedom of speech?

In America today there is only freedom of speech if the speech is politically correct. Most people assumed that tyranny would come from the right but we have a tyranny from the left in America right now.

Possibly not. You would still be able to publish/speak/express anything you want. Just no one would be able to read it. I would think it would be the same for all modalities of communication.

Tempest. If the ACLU (an unlikely friend, if you know what I mean) or the Electronic Frontier Foundation fail in efforts to limit this bill's scope, I'd recommend a Ham/SW radio network be instituted in the militia. When the time comes, it may be the only form of communication available.

Leave it to Fow News to make a crackpot conclusion. The title has nothing to do with the body of the text. I'm sure even the body of the text is far from the text of whatever provoked them to write this.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Leave it to Fow News to make a crackpot conclusion. The title has nothing to do with the body of the text. I'm sure even the body of the text is far from the text of whatever provoked them to write this.

It's either them of Commy News Network. They're worse.

Originally Posted By: pbm

In America today there is only freedom of speech if the speech is politically correct. Most people assumed that tyranny would come from the right but we have a tyranny from the left in America right now.

Uh oh.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Possibly not. You would still be able to publish/speak/express anything you want. Just no one would be able to read it. I would think it would be the same for all modalities of communication.

Tempest. If the ACLU (an unlikely friend, if you know what I mean) or the Electronic Frontier Foundation fail in efforts to limit this bill's scope, I'd recommend a Ham/SW radio network be instituted in the militia. When the time comes, it may be the only form of communication available.

I'd doubt even Ham/SW frequencies would be safe what with the governments enhansed ability to jam any frequency they wish to, when they want to. We seem to risk the loss of our freedoms in increments...over time. Already, I feel a little less free with Democrats running virtually the entire government. Not that the Republicans were all that either! Anyone remember Newt-The-First? LOL.

Quote:
Obama, meanwhile, is considering his own strategy on cybersecurity. On Friday, the White House completed a lengthy review of the nation's computer networks and their vulnerability to attack. An announcement is expected as early as this week.

"I kind of view [the Rockefeller bill] as an opening shot. The concept is cybersecurity. There's this 60-day review underway, and some people wanted to get in there and make their mark on the White House policy development, " Lee Tien (of Electronic Frontier Foundation)

I see this as another "mil-spec" standard that companies have to follow to do business with the government, and every product and staff must meet the spec.

They can't just put a master switch on the Internet, it was designed to survive a nuclear strike and traffic would just go through alternative route. Even China, with 30k Internet cops, nation owned Great Firewall, and holding ISP liable for customers' blog, still can't prevent political blogs from reaching civilians.

You see, P2P pirates are good for something. If MPAA and RIAA can't stop music and movie downloads, the government can't stop Internet traffic.

Yes, this thread will be locked soon. The information that is freely available is too [censored] for the majority to see. Big brother wants to try to curb this ease of information.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
take over the process of certifying IT technicians

I read this and immediately checked the link to see if it said theonion.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back