Intermittent Stalling Issue

2014 Forester 2.5, 125K. Driver complains of an intermittent stalling issue - it happens about once every other month. The stall occurs at idle. I have never been able to duplicate the concern.

Fuel trims are normal (+/- 5%), oil level is correct and there are no stores fault codes that are relevant to the concern. No obvious issues were found during the visual inspection.

My only abnormal finding was the throttle body- it is abnormally dirty:

IMG_9110.jpeg

So, I cleaned the throttle body and performed the idle relearn procedure. We’ll see if the issue returns, but I wonder if this was the issue.

My only abnormal finding was the throttle body- it is abnormally dirty:

That was my first observation as well. Does this engine have an EGR valve? What about an EGR cooler?

My logic is that oil vapors, unburned fuel, and water vapors are making their way into the intake. Combined with the inert gases from the EGR, this can cause significant dirt buildup. Short trips will exacerbate the problem.

kudos to cleaning the throttle body. I recommend cleaning the egr valve as well. I've noticed several FB engines stumble at idle especially during warmup solved by cleaning the egr valve.

We just traded our ‘15CRV. It’s had a chronic stumble/hesitation with occasional hard stall for a while, mostly minor but in recent months increased in frequency. ATF change reduced a rattling sound, which then got loud again. New plugs changed the feel of the hesitation, but then continued increasing. No codes. I started wondering if they weren’t all related to the CVT. We bought it used with an unknown history. Read the writing on the wall and traded it in. All that to say, don’t overlook the transmission.

Back