Interior wrap anyone try it??

I am working on a Hummer H2 and the interior is a tad rough. Has anyone redone the interior hard parts with vinyl wrap. Tips tricks and what products to use. I was going to try the brushed look.

Maybe consider "hydro dipping" the parts. YT should be full of videos of car interior trim parts getting that treatment.

I wrapped all the trim on my 911 with Vvivid. Clean the trim well, use an adhesion promoter on any concave surfaces, and wrap the edges. I like to use a few drops of super glue on the back to hold the edges down.

A heat gun helps.

I would not recommend this project if you are easily frustrated.

IMG_20190127_112226.jpg

There are companies online that sell vinyl dash trim kits that come with all of the vinyl pieces pre-cut. They are typically offered in numerous different colors/patterns. You just carefully apply the vinyl pieces and you are all set.

Plasti-dip it!

Yuck. Sorry but I've seen so many bad plasti-dip jobs that I'll never stop seeing that product as a lazy man's version of proper sanding/prep/paint with real paint.

A proper 3-step repaint of interior trim pieces can look better than factory new, can have a durable clearcoat applied, can be wet-sanded and polished to be glass smooth, and will last the life of the car.

There are companies online that sell vinyl dash trim kits that come with all of the vinyl pieces pre-cut. They are typically offered in numerous different colors/patterns. You just carefully apply the vinyl pieces and you are all set.
Most of those kits are clearly stick-on and look terrible, with the added benefit of being impossible to remove.

Yuck. Sorry but I've seen so many bad plasti-dip jobs that I'll never stop seeing that product as a lazy man's version of proper sanding/prep/paint with real paint.

A proper 3-step repaint of interior trim pieces can look better than factory new, can have a durable clearcoat applied, can be wet-sanded and polished to be glass smooth, and will last the life of the car.
Vinyl wrapping is a great way to add a new texture or pattern to your existing trim and is a sight easier that properly painting a panel.

Most of those kits are clearly stick-on and look terrible, with the added benefit of being impossible to remove.

Vinyl wrapping is a great way to add a new texture or pattern to your existing trim and is a sight easier that properly painting a panel.

This kit is non-permanent vinyl, pre-cut.

This kit is non-permanent vinyl, pre-cut.

It looks terrible in the photos on the website. Bubbles and misalignment, un-wrapped edges.

It looks terrible in the photos on the website. Bubbles and misalignment, un-wrapped edges.

It's just a matter of taking time and care when installing it, and is a relatively simple and inexpensive solution for someone that just wants to change things up or refresh an interior that is beat without having to remove/cover/reinstall trim pieces.

It isn't an ideal solution for a perfectionist or someone with OCD, but for most people it would be a reasonable solution.

A somewhat ghetto way I've repainted some interior trim pieces in the past that actually held up really well was using a normal Kilz or Coverstain *oil* primer in a rattlecan on the plastic pieces (or presumably you could use a rattlecan automotive primer, even a filler primer) letting it fully dry, then repainting the pieces with latex paint. I found Valspar Signature sample cans from Lowes held up well, Behr probably would, too. Just applied with a brush or roller. The advantage of the latex is you can get somewhere near a complete color match by bringing in a sample piece of the car like a fuse box cover, vs rattlecans where you're stuck with a few dozen stock colors and of course spraying inside of a car and all the masking it takes. I wouldn't use the latex paint on any parts like a handle/etc you'd touch, but I used it on a glove box with cracks and scratches and it looked way better.

Back