Interesting story about not changing your oil.

"We were not given an owner’s manual. We were told everything was on an onboard computer and to access it that way," said Fosuo.
i smell bs. is that responsible adult, or just a child ?
i had to sign lots of papers, service book, and that i was informed about service intervals
and you can download manuals from mfg website, i believe this is valid for every mfg.

"We were not given an owner’s manual. We were told everything was on an onboard computer and to access it that way," said Fosuo.

That sounds like something a Salesmen would tell a customer.
A car salesman attitude towards vehicles is, "when it breaks, you buy another".

There is no substitute for opening the hood and checking.

There must be more to this story than that news article. If the engine seized, it was probably out of oil. That means letting the oil run dry without replenishing it, which means he never checked the dipstick and ignored at least 2 check engine lights.
Sounds too strange to be true, but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.
PS someone once said it's hard to make machines idiot proof, because idiots are so clever.
For many people the jiffy lube 3,000 mile oil change thing is a good thing because that is the only time the fluids get checked.

Based on several comments from members this thread, piqued my interest about engine in topic. Googled 'Ram 1500 EcoDiesel engine troubles'. Just read first entry and 4 comment replies to that entry article. Not going to link, if interested can do same google.

Without excusing what the owner did or didn't do or should have done here, I do believe there is more to this story.
All the more reason to follow the recommended OCIs.

Scott

All the more reason to follow the recommended OCIs...
I did mention, "without excusing what the owner did or didn't do or should have done here".....

However, since broached again...Wonder if all 3 commenters in the noted google entry article with a similar result to topic also missed the "recommended OCIs".

Last edited:
I did mention, "without excusing what the owner did or didn't do or should have done here".....

However, since broached again...Wonder if all 3 commenters in the noted google entry article with a similar result to topic also missed the "recommended OCIs".
All I was saying is if the engine has a sketchy history, all the more reason to follow the proper OCIs.

Scott

All I was saying is if the engine has a sketchy history, all the more reason to follow the proper OCIs......
Correct. And all I was saying was there was more to the story, that being the specific engine involved.

As mentioned at the top by the OP, obviously the owner is not a bitog member or type. If he can't/doesn't pay attention to the oci recs or olm, even more doubtful he's knows diddley about the engine and/or its reputation. 'I' wouldn't expect the latter, given the former.

Last edited:
Back