Interesting story about not changing your oil.

I had a couple sales guys that would do that in our fleet of F150’s. Both had 25k-30k on the oil, with one of those being a factory fill.

Poor guy. I mean yeah he was supposedly missing some basic vehicle knowledge but Dodge/Stelantis, Three-headed dog guardian of hell or whatever they call themselves these days could have made it a bit more obvious. I do feel for the ignorant. They don't have a chance in this new world.

The story did mention no manual,(came with the truck) but there's always the internet.
I know a few people who chose to NOT read the owner's manual. They all paid a lot for their vehicles.

The story did mention no manual,(came with the truck) but there's always the internet.
I know a few people who chose to NOT read the owner's manual. They all paid a lot for their vehicles.
The Manual for my 2021 Ford Escape shows to change the oil every 5,000 miles 'if' the OLM is not working.
People need to read the Manual and use common sense.

Poor guy. I mean yeah he was supposedly missing some basic vehicle knowledge but Dodge/Stelantis, Three-headed dog guardian of hell or whatever they call themselves these days could have made it a bit more obvious. I do feel for the ignorant. They don't have a chance in this new world.
I mean, there's an OLM, it tells you when to change the oil. The alerts are VERY obvious. There's no way to formulate an excuse that works that out of the picture here.

From reading the article, he had an independent shop (instant oil change place?) tell him he could go 24,000km on the oil. If that's true, and he has evidence of that, that's who should be footing the bill for the engine replacement. It isn't FCA/Stellantis's problem that somebody got hoodwinked by some fly by night operation employing a crack team of rapscallions peddling mad mythos about oil drain intervals for vehicles under warranty, the terms of which this clearly violates.

I mean, there's an OLM, it tells you when to change the oil. The alerts are VERY obvious. There's no way to formulate an excuse that works that out of the picture here.

From reading the article, he had an independent shop (instant oil change place?) tell him he could go 24,000km on the oil. If that's true, and he has evidence of that, that's who should be footing the bill for the engine replacement. It isn't FCA/Stellantis's problem that somebody got hoodwinked by some fly by night operation employing a crack team of rapscallions peddling mad mythos about oil drain intervals for vehicles under warranty, the terms of which this clearly violates.
Seriously any oil would have been OK.........it's a diesel and holds a LOT of oil. So the engine seized due to LOW oil? What about that light?

Something IS fishy, but yeah the guy is a clown. He ignored more than one idiot light. Idiot.

I imagine the computer tracks every time it has the olm reset or not and how many miles it went after and the dealer can just pull a log with their scanners to see if the olm was reset or not and use that against the customer. Besides 10k mile oci's in the manual are pretty generous and long enough especially on one of these cardboard diesel engines. no need to push longer than that.

But i wonder why he bought the ecodiesel even with a short 62k mile warranty. It's a 2018 and the ecodiesel had existed long enough at the time for any person to do some research online to see that it's less reliable than the pentastar or hemi and the most expensive to repair when it does fail past the warranty.

Last edited:
Seriously any oil would have been OK.........it's a diesel and holds a LOT of oil. So the engine seized due to LOW oil? What about that light?

Something IS fishy, but yeah the guy is a clown. He ignored more than one idiot light. Idiot.
He said the oil light came on (1:22 in the video "The oil light came on and I didn't do an oil change right away")

I watched the story last night on my local news.
The question I had is, why does the news carry this as a newsworthy story.
Owner didn't change the oil according to manufacturer schedule, and an expensive engine died.
Yet its a "news story".
Another piece of evidence to show how really messed up a lot of folks are?
I don't need that reinforcement.

Yes, I expect this is the 24K intervals from "Shop Shady" coupled with him not checking the oil. But who knows what that shop put in the truck too.

I watched the story last night on my local news.
The question I had is, why does the news carry this as a newsworthy story.
Owner didn't change the oil according to manufacturer schedule, and an expensive engine died.
Yet its a "news story".
Another piece of evidence to show how really messed up a lot of folks are?
I don't need that reinforcement.
Consider it a Public Service Announcement.

If Dodge/Stelantis had a three-headed dog guardian of hell car (I like it), it'd sell.
Cerberus I think it was... I don't care, I just remember thinking wow, what 7 year old D&D playing kid came up with that LOL.. then the "Pentastar" name heh... pentagram... they were on some sort of devil kick.

Back