Interesting Response from AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schism - VW may TRY that. But it is illegal. The contract does NOT say you SHALL use only oils on our list. They don't even say that in their brochure with the Amsoil bottle pictured! http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/engoil_gas.pdf
dunno.gif

Yes I get it. I had been thinking about a TDI. But VW turns me off.

Yes - truth Craig.

As I had brought up yesterday, I believe VW would look for anything possible to avoid a warranty claim,especially regarding a large claim. The AMSOIL products are good,it may just be how much trouble do you want to go through to get an item fixed after they(VW) denies the claim.All of you have brought up some very good points that have made me do some critical thinking toward this subject.I believe I will use the 5w40 Amsoil after the warranty period has expired on the car.
(2001 2.0 Jetta)

Thing is, Schism, Craig, and Pablo are all right ... but being right has nothing to do with it. Auto manufacturers are paying dealer service departments less and less and less hours for warranty repairs these days. Why do we think a dealer wants to deny a claim? If the factory will pay them X hours for a particular covered item but a customer will pay them 2X for the same repair then a service department has every incentive, irregardless of "what is right". I do not agree with this policy but that is the way it is. In my opinion, it is the mechanic that gets screwed in the end. I don't know how a young mechanic can make it these days ... having to pay for their own tools and then having to fight for hours on repairs.

Anyhow, there are many factors to why it is a much safer bet to just use an oil on VAG's "list". With me following a 3k OCI it won't matter if I am using Synthetic Crisco ... if it is on the list. I will continue to use AMSOIL on my other car and when my Gti is out of warranty I will begin using it then too. As I mentioned in the initial post, this was not a bash AMSOIL vent ... but rather a situational vent. I like and use AMSOIL products and wanted to use them for this car. I wanted to get a "real" answer from the horse's mouth but feel I got deflection. Because of that, I have nothing definitive to base my decision on. Without something from AMSOIL, in writing, about the 502 spec I cannot use their oil in the Gti.

James

quote:

While I am not sure what the actual issue was with the above
Passat engine I would be suprised if it was sludging because of
the oil he was using and the interval he changed it.
I will try to find out actually what was the problem with it.
Craig

The VAG mounted the 1.8 in that car longitudinally verses horizontally and one of the cross members was in the way. The method the engineers chose to get around was to reduce the capacity of the oil pan to under 4 quarts ... 3.7 or so I believe. Not enough oil for the turbo. The oil cooked like fried chicken in those engines. The VAG FINALLY admitted there was a problem and extended the warranties to 8 years or so on the ****-ant, sorry and one of the Auti A4's with the same design. They also issues a TSB to dealers requiring using a bigger filter and only synthetic oil. Big mess.

Legality has very little to do with it if your car's at the dealer with a denied claim. Huge hassle. I would use only recommended oils under warranty and then move to Amsoil after. Amsoil is probably a better product but every oil on the VW list will still give VG results and peace of mind.

The manual for my 05 Passat 1.8T says an oil of 5W-40 flavor that meets the VW 502.01 spec is recommonded at 5k intervals. It goes on to say that a list of 502.01 oils available in the U.S. is included on page nn of the manual. Nowhere does it say that you must use an oil on the list. I think they include the list of 502.01 oils available in the U.S. for the morons that are too lazy to rotate the quart of oil and read the writing on the back.

I used GC in my last 1.8T and I'll do the same with this one. It's a 502.01 oil so where's the problem?

g2bruiser, ummm yeah, that's exactly what I said. Of course viscosity matters. 5w40 is a recommendation, not a requirement. The manual recommends a grade of 5w40 or an equivalent grade for your (my) climate. It goes on to say that 5w40 is usable under most climate conditions and is therefore recommended.

My manual recommends a grade of 5w40 and gives me a list of suggested oils available in the U.S. It requires that I change my oil every 5k miles.

I need to climb up on my soapbox for a brief moment. Why is everyone making such a big deal about this? I'm sure someone knows somebody who heard from someone that their freinds brother's cousin had his claim denied by VOA because they used a 30wt oil, oh the horror of it all. Come on, follow the OCI requirements and use a 502.01 oil that performs well in your climate. It's not rocket science.

From dictionary.com

Recommended: To give advice or counsel: “recommended against signing an international agreement”

Required: Needed; essential: missing several required parts

Thanks for the information AND eng-grish lesson PH.
bowdown.gif

I understand it is not rocket science, but there is a method to the madness. Having spoken to the service writers at the dealer I purchased the car, I got nervous; plain and simple. Let me give you an English lesson:

Peace
Freedom from quarrels and disagreement; harmonious relations.
Inner contentment; serenity: peace of mind.

Among others.

I like to know exactly what I am dealing with, the pitfalls, etc. These traits are what make me good at what I do; building software. I'm the guy who can tell you where things are going to break in a system. Subsequently, I like to rule out any surprises where I can (one of those being my cars). I like to find out what other people think. This discussion is doing just that; giving me the opinion of others:

Proverves 11:14
Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.

So PH, you do not have to understand why I presented this discussion. However, I have benefited from it greatly and I thank all of you for your opinions.

Regards,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back