Interesting Aircraft you have used, accidently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a boy I got to fly in a TWA Connie just before they retired them in lieu of the Boeing 707.

The little old lady in the seat next to me said: "I thought my false teeth were going to fall out from all the rattling."
grin.gif

The aircraft I've flown on are boring but I've worked on or been around some interesting aircraft / engines in the USAF.
The most interesting were
SR-71
GE F-110 powered F-15, wasn't adopted by the USAF but is used by a couple other countries.
F-15 ACTIVE with 360 degree thrust vectoring.

My GA experience has been limited to Cessnas and none of the really neat ones.
I envy you for having flown on a Comet.
Dan Air had a large fleet of them which they basically used up and then scrapped when the airframe or engines reached some expensive maintenance limit.
I also envy Mola for having had a commercial flight on a Connie. A truly gorgeous aircraft. You can see echos of the four engine Douglas transports in current transports. You see no echos in any of any Lockheed Constellation model.
I got to fly on a Ford Tri-Motor from one of the Lake Erie Islands to the mainland about forty years ago on Island airlines.
I flew on lots of 707s, 727s and 737-200s back in the day where they were in service everywhere, as well as the inevitable DC-9s.
Never got a 720 or DC-8, which tells you that I never flew much on United.
The only other unusual commercial flights I've had involved a CV 440, a Do 328 and even a Do 328 Jet.
The 328 was a neat and fast little turboprop and the jet had fan engines rather than the turboprops. An expensive to operate airplane that saw only limited sales.
Has anyone here flown on either a CV 880/990, a Caravelle or a VC-10?

Civilian: sad to say, but the most non-mainstream civvy aircraft I've flown is a Fokker F28.

Military: flew from Missaua, Japan, to Tokyo on a C-141 Starlifter.

Convair 340 w/ turboprob conversion, on a hunting trip to northern Quebec

BAC-111, going to see a girlfriend (now Wife) in the Midwest, probably one of the last ones flying in the US at the time

Both trips are memorable to a hobby pilot, for many good reasons

I had to check this one with my older sisters, as I was not sure if I actually flew on it (I must have been 3 or 4 years old)
Bristol 170 (Out of Lydd Airport in Kent)

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/silver_city.htm

I doubt our family car was transported (I imagine that would have been quite expensive)

Fun Fact on the DeHavaland Comet. The first models were equipped to take Hydrogen Peroxide booster rockets to assist at take off from airports in hot or high altitude areas.
That would have been fun!

Quote:
I got to fly on a Ford Tri-Motor from one of the Lake Erie Islands to the mainland about forty years ago on Island airlines

Now that is one aircraft I want to fly on before before the old beaker falls apart.

I got to go up in the EAA's Ford Tri-motor when I was a kid. It was an awesome experience that I'll never forget. I was inline for a young eagles flight and they were falling behind so they decided to take some up in their Tri-Motor. They called out all the names and the last kid didn't show. They called out a few more names which none of them showed either. Then they called out my name!

Probably one of my favorite airplanes I went up in was a factory built Falco F.8L. It was one of only two original factory built Falco's in the US and the only one not in the experimental category.

I've also been in a Cessna 150 flying at near stall speed next to a trike. The whole time the stall warning was going off.

Currently I am taking lessons in a 1940s Piper J-3 Cub. Once I get my license I can't wait to fly my Kolb Firestar! It is N-numbered and qualifies as light sport. It has no electrical system but I do have a radio. I hear the Kolbs are really responsive to the controls and are fun to fly.

I flew on a BAC 1-11 once.
I planned the flight around getting this type.
The operator was still known as Alegheny at the time, I believe, although Braniff and American had them in this country as well.
Braniff is long gone and little Alegheny became US Air, which has recently "merged" with (acquired out of bankruptcy) American.

Lear 20, 25. Falcon 20, 900. Westwind II. G 3,4,5,550. 727 full sim at flight safety @cvg. In the left seat. I had no business in that seat but it was a great time. Worked for a company that bought and sold. The best was a DC3. From key west to miami. What a ride!
Joe

Back about 1971 rode in a Navy R6D from NAS Millington to Travis AFB. Took a long time to get there. I remember the Airman driving the bus that picked us up stating he didn't know anybody flew those anymore.

As a young Plane Captain I got to fly back seat in an EA-6B quite a bit. NAS Whidbey to NAS Pensacola is a long way to sit on an ejection seat. A cat shot and trap on USS Constellation would be the high point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back