Interesting about electric mowers, saws etc.

I agree with her take on corded electrical tools vs. all the lithium battery powered stuff. If people are that gung ho on electrical power, a large part of this whole crazy daisy chain can be eliminated by using corded equipment... Albeit with some inconvenience.

And as far as the whole EV issue? That is going to sort itself out regardless of what the government mandates, or whomever is pushing it as "better"..... Which thus far is mostly based on wishful thinking.

My only question is at 1:35 in the video, where she states that Zimbabwe is "banning" 100% of their Lithium from export. Which I take it to basically mean they're keeping it all within their own borders. So, what are they going to do with it?

Zimbabwe isn't exactly what one would call a manufacturing mecca. If they're banning the export of all the Lithium they mine, they must have some type of, "Plan B". Perhaps they're going to stockpile it hoping for an off the chart price increase so they can clean up????

Zimbabwe isn't exactly what one would call a manufacturing mecca. If they're banning the export of all the Lithium they mine, they must have some type of, "Plan B". Perhaps they're going to stockpile it hoping for an off the chart price increase so they can clean up????

There's no Plan B. It's all part of Plan A.

Zimbabwe has significant ties with China, to the point that China has pretty much hand-picked and installed government officials that keep their relationship advancing.

Here's a BBC article from 2017, indicating how far their relationship goes back. There are many, many more recent articles about their arrangement: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42012629

Zimbabwe is banning "raw" lithium exports. A couple Chinese companies set up shop processing the lithium in-country and 100% of Zimbabwe's now-processed lithium exports go into Chinese batteries.

China gets a constant supply of lithium and Zimbabwe has a guarantied customer.

Zimbabwe only produces a small fraction of worldwide production of lithium ore. Looks like the Chinese are moving in to control it.

I'm not so sure this particular situation is going to cause battery prices to skyrocket. 98% of the lithium is sourced elsewhere. However I don't believe battery prices are going to plummet as previously predicted, as has been the case with other mature technologies. Insufficiently abundant resources is the likely cause. I expect batteries to increase in price over time.

A quick check of top quality cell prices really drives that fact home. They are more expensive than ever.

Last edited:
I was and kind of still am a corded tool kinda guy. I love my Ridgid plug-in drill for instance, and still use it more often than its battery-powered counterpart. However, I made the mistake of buying a “starter” pack of Ridgid 18V tools and I’ve spoiled myself. I now choose to use the battery-powered inflator and shop vac over the corded almost always, for instance. I had some pneumatic tools, like an impact wrench/compressor, but don’t use them ever. The Ridgid is perfect for tire rotations and such.

I do have gas-powered OPE and don’t plan on switching to battery any time soon.

With that said, I’m still only a few years into the battery thing. If these things don’t last at least 7 or so years (the goalpost is subject to change), I’ll consider replacing with corded going forward.

I think corded vs battery compares to ICE vs. EV.

Battery certainly has advantages, I own many battery tools. The corded is useful if you have a job where you just need more juice for a longer period of time, just like an ICE. It has always been this way, different tools for different jobs/use cases, just some of the technology has improved. I remember as a kid some of my older relatives had those Toro electric powershovels/snowthrowers. They were perfect for people who had small areas to clear snow and didn't want to mess with gas, just like battery equipment fills that void today.

There's no Plan B. It's all part of Plan A.

Zimbabwe has significant ties with China, to the point that China has pretty much hand-picked and installed government officials

The U.S.A. has significant ties with China, to the point that China has pretty much hand-picked and installed government officials that keep their relationship advancing. Lets us not forget.

The U.S.A. has significant ties with China, to the point that China has pretty much hand-picked and installed government officials that keep their relationship advancing. Lets us not forget.

When you see the tax returns of a former government official and they have significant savings, income, and are paying more in taxes in China than in the US, I guess you could say that.

Battery, I don't mind a non Lithium Ion battery tool. The lithium ion batterys have been proven to be huge fire hazards, yeah they aren't going off all the time, but the potential is there, it is a roll of the dice so to say. I'd like to see more nickle metal hydride batterys come back, much safer and they last a long time as well.

The materials in some batterys are not very friendly, even a lead acid battery is a cleaner battery elements wise than a Li ion is.
Just can't beat good ole clean mineral oil from the earth in the form of crude oil.

When you see the tax returns of a former government official and they have significant savings, income, and are paying more in taxes in China than in the US, I guess you could say that.
when you see former govt officials that got rich in office and others that lost money while in office, i guess you could say that.

Back