Interdynamics R134 Manifold Gauge Valve Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Interdynamics R134a Manifold Gauge set is about 20 yrs old. It has served me well over the years w/ only a few uses per year. I recently used it and noticed the high side hose end shut-off valve was completely blocked (whether open or closed valve position). After disassembling the top-entry valve I found a small rubber tube piece blocking one port. After removal the valve would not seal in any position.

What was left of the rubber tube looked like the seals that are used in the end of the hose couplers, however I tried a replacement seal I had and it was slightly too large. I found some spare rubber vacuum tubing and cut a short (5-6mm) piece. The tube piece slips over the end of the valve gate end (round barb tip to capture and hold the seal). I was not sure this was how the gate sealed, but seemed reasonable. I tried the gauges out w/ air pressure and seal held. I hooked up to high side of one of my cars and it worked fine.

The cut-off valves do not depend on seating force and seal by advancing the gate end (w/ seal cover) to block the outlet.

I also replaced my low side hose cut-off valve seal also. It was also leaking.

I thought others might run into this problem also, as the Interdynamics gauges are sold at many parts outlets. They don't have the best reputation, but mine have been reliable. I think I only paid about $50 for them.

regards

Look for a HVAC supply house, such as a Johnstone supply, they will have what you need, bring the pieces with you when you go.

If you have trouble finding a place let me know, and i will get you the address of the local johnstone or other supply house that might be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back