InTech 5.4 32V engine- low oil light came on at high speed, think a bearing may have spun?

Well I think @GON is handling this all with aplomb. I appreciate his level-headed honesty, ability to shrug off criticism, and regular updates.

I'm fearing another long gap in updates as he once again prepares to leave the vehicle....it's like waiting for a new season of whatever you've been binging on Netflix. In fact, I'm thinking maybe GON should just sleep in the dealer lobby.....what was that movie with Hanks in the airport....Terminal maybe??
Took a crazy 160 mile uber ride from Fayetteville NC to Columbia. Picked up in a Uber that did not meet minimum standards. Beat uber Buick Lucerne, from bumper was missing and front end hog tied to keep together. A mature woman was the driver, she said" only reason I didn't cancel the ride was I wanted someone to talk to and you are a captive audience". She never drove above 55 mph, ride took an extra hour than it should have. She was a nice woman who had a tough life, I tipped her well.

I made it to Columbia, SC and picked up my Wife's Acura RDX. Drove 450 miles and spent the night at a Fairfield Inn outside of Lexington, KY, enroute to Seattle.

I can almost guarantee you if the engine came out of a junk yard the injectors have serious issue. I see this all the time, guy wants his injector cleaned but doesnt want to put the car out of commission for a few days so he comes up with the perfect answer, a set from the bone yard to get cleaned so he can just swap them out.
The outcome is sometimes less than spectacular, not a very good option. Replace them with a tested and balanced good set or new.
Wonder if the Ford dealer will let me supply my own injectors for their tech to install?

The service writer said their shop did not have an automated fuel injector tester, like some other Ford dealers.

@GON, what an ordeal this has been for you - I hope it works out somehow.
Number 35. It has been a lots of lows, a few highs.

The situation and challenges have kept me on my toes. Guess I could have spent the money elsewhere, but this is more than a money pit, it is also a learning opportunity, something I enjoy as I near 60 years of age. I hope I keep learning for the rest of my life. Watching Regis and Kathy until I die is not in the cards for me (I know it is now Kelly and some radio guy).

If it happens to work out and the engine was refreshed properly (less the current issue) I will have a six passenger three row rust free SUV with air suspension and independent rear suspension in above average shape for about 10k, that is set up for heavier towing including a factory brake controller.

What were the codes that were flashing when you brought it into the dealer?
EH,

I was unable to pull them. Dealer said P300, P307, P308, and a handful of others I wish I took a picture of. I wanted to be first in line at the dealer, so i didn't have time to buy a code reader.

Took a crazy 160 mile uber ride from Fayetteville NC to Columbia. Picked up in a Uber that did not meet minimum standards. Beat uber Buick Lucerne, from bumper was missing and front end hog tied to keep together. A mature woman was the driver, she said" only reason I didn't cancel the ride was I wanted someone to talk to and you are a captive audience". She never drove above 55 mph, ride took an extra hour than it should have. She was a nice woman who had a tough life, I tipped her well.

I made it to Columbia, SC and picked up my Wife's Acura RDX. Drove 450 miles and spent the night at a Fairfield Inn outside of Lexington, KY, enroute to Seattle.
Ya know....at least ya didn't wake up in a bath tub full of ice missing a kidney with a cell phone taped to your hand and a note to call 911.....

so, all in all, a good day!

Ford dealer called yesterday. Stated fuel injectors at cylinders 7 and 8 are bad. $1200 to replace the two, or $1900 to replace all the injectors.

I don't have a feasible alternative then to have the dealer replace the injectors. I asked the service writer to have the servicing mechanic drive the Navigator home for a few days after he replaces the injectors.......

Ford dealer called yesterday. Stated fuel injectors at cylinders 7 and 8 are bad. $1200 to replace the two, or $1900 to replace all the injectors.

I don't have a feasible alternative then to have the dealer replace the injectors. I asked the service writer to have the servicing mechanic drive the Navigator home for a few days after he replaces the injectors.......
Really really hoping this is it! If so, you will have that big towing vehicle in good shape for a reasonable price.

Good luck, and thanks for keeping us up to date.

$1900 for injectors is highway robbery. A set of injectors is $250-350 and it's only about an hour of labor.
Dealer said the intake has to be removed to replace the injectors. I have no idea. I am sure I am paying full retail for the parts, service writer said book time is four hours labor.

$1900 for injectors is highway robbery. A set of injectors is $250-350 and it's only about an hour of labor.
The Dealer says 4 hours for Labor. Maybe some others can chime in. Who's more accurate with labor-you or the dealer? Seems to be a big disconnect in time.

@GON - If it makes you feel any better I paid $1377 to replace one (1) injector a year ago on my wife’s former Denali Yukon XL. GM did give me a check for $137 after the fact since I complained enough. If I had lived in a different state, the injector would’ve been under warranty. Good luck!

Reactions: GON
Back