InTech 5.4 32V engine- low oil light came on at high speed, think a bearing may have spun?

Good luck with the drive home. Will hope it's something simple.

Maybe you can get Autozone to pull codes for you? Maybe you'll luck out at the Ford dealer, let's hope for that.
Thanks. I have another car to bring to Seattle, a 2014 Acura RDX (Wife's car). The Acura is in Columbia, SC. If the Navigator was able to drive without issues from Fayetteville, NC to Columbia, SC, I was going to get a uhaul car hauler and put the Acura on the car hauler and have the Navigator tow the Acura. If the Ford dealer does not find something workable in the next diagnoses, I will find a way to get to Columbia, and then drive the Acura to Seattle.....

At the Ford dealer right now. Vehicle is seeing misfires right from the start up. Low compression on cylinders 7 and 8 (computer diagnosed- not manual compression test). Engine is running lean.

Ford tech asked for another one-hour approval. He is going to manually check compression on cylinders 7 and 8. I went over the work the prior mechanic did, wondering if timing may be off.

The mechanic that installed the motor was supposed to install all new DENSO COPs.

Our 2003 Navigator had the timing chains and guides replaced under waranty and the day I was supposed to pick it up the Service manager called me and said they needed another day to diagnose a rich error code. Turns out one of the exhaust cams was installed 1 tooth out of time.

Ford dealer not able to lock down the issue. Tech states engine runs ok at higher RPMs. He is think maybe fuel injector issues. I bring up that the timing chains were replaced, and to please look at the timing. Ford shop can't do any more until next week. I am trying to get a Uber from Lumberton, SC to COlumbia, SC with no success. Tried a uber to Fayetteville, NC airport, again no success. Called a taxi to Fayetteville, NC airport, he said he is on his way, but 30 minutes and no sign. Asked the Ford dealer about getting to the Fayetteville, airport.... they said they couldn't recommend anything......

At least the Ford dealer has public wifi....

Ford dealer not able to lock down the issue. Tech states engine runs ok at higher RPMs. He is think maybe fuel injector issues. I bring up that the timing chains were replaced, and to please look at the timing. Ford shop can't do any more until next week. I am trying to get a Uber from Lumberton, SC to COlumbia, SC with no success. Tried a uber to Fayetteville, NC airport, again no success. Called a taxi to Fayetteville, NC airport, he said he is on his way, but 30 minutes and no sign. Asked the Ford dealer about getting to the Fayetteville, airport.... they said they couldn't recommend anything......

Holy crap, this is a gong show.

I’m hoping this all works out for you. Unlike most people I think if the body is good then why not put a bit of money into a vehicle that’s a bit older. A monthly car payment for something new of this size is going to be easily $800 if not more a month. Multiply that over 4 years You’ve spent $38,400!!!! and you will be lucky if that’s done anything other than cover the depreciation of said vehicle.

I would not however put money into a vehicle that had a rusty body that’s just pointless.
Yea-but you get a warranty and can drive it for 15 years if you so chose. You can even get a warranty out to 100,000 miles if you want to pay extra.

Well I think @GON is handling this all with aplomb. I appreciate his level-headed honesty, ability to shrug off criticism, and regular updates.

I'm fearing another long gap in updates as he once again prepares to leave the vehicle....it's like waiting for a new season of whatever you've been binging on Netflix. In fact, I'm thinking maybe GON should just sleep in the dealer lobby.....what was that movie with Hanks in the airport....Terminal maybe??

I can almost guarantee you if the engine came out of a junk yard the injectors have serious issue. I see this all the time, guy wants his injector cleaned but doesnt want to put the car out of commission for a few days so he comes up with the perfect answer, a set from the bone yard to get cleaned so he can just swap them out.
The outcome is sometimes less than spectacular, not a very good option. Replace them with a tested and balanced good set or new.

He took a gamble. He was willing to take the losses going into this.
I agree. If you enter into an agreement or deal knowing full well you might have your posterior handed to you, it's not exactly foolish. Fools expect wonderful outcomes and are shocked when life doesn't work out that way every time.

I would have made different choices from GON for a huge variety of reasons, but that doesn't make his choices foolish.

It's been an interesting journey, but at this point I'd just send the title to the dealer and ask them to dispose of it.

Back