Insulin Resistance - ready to learn something?

Here is a site, I used it recently for a PSA test, month 3 of the in-between the 6 month period my doctor was doing it
If you want to pay you can order a whole host of blood workups yourself and bring them with you to the next dr appointment or just for your own curiosity. I gave him my PSA and they entered it into the system with theirs.

Here is the site, use the drop down for Cardio, Diabetes, Inflammation, PSA, etc

Also if you click on "Order Tests" then "Weekly Promotions" There are hundreds of tests and you dont have to order a whole panel if you just want a specific test.

Last edited:
So I had my first appointment with a functional medicine doctor (actually a nurse practitioner? She is on same page as me with respect to Dr Mark Harman. The appointment lasted so lose to 60 min.

Her goal is to get me insulin sensitive and get me off most of the drugs I take. YES!!!

She ordered an ESR and NMR blood test for me. Both new tests for me. I have to read more about the ESR.

But the NMR will tell about size of LDL particles. Small (not so good) or large (not a problem). Most likely a mix.

Why do most Dr just measure LDL and not go further with an NMR. If I know about a NMR blood test and I am a computer guy, then my cardiologist should know and understand the benefits of an NMR test.

My medical advice, find a functional medicine doctor. May or may not replace primary. Cannot say yet (for me). I know functional medicine is somewhat new.

Look at the Functional medicine program Cleveland Clinic has. It's huge.

"ESR and NMR blood tests"

What are these acronyms? What are these tests??
You can actually order them on your own from that link I posted above. If you put those symbols in the search box on that link it goes in detail and it will tell you what they are.
As Donald remarked, one is LDL size and the INFLAMMATION which I know you are aware a big subject in that book that I think you both recommended. "Why we get sick"

@Donald Are you involved with the Cleveland Clinic? That would be awesome. Sounds like you REALLY have someone at the top of their game ordering those tests. Wow...
I get their monthly "Heart Advisor" in the mail, also just ordered literally order form went in the mailbox yesterday a new boob Cleveland Clinic Coronary Artery Disease.

This is a great thread, love listening to what you guys are doing.

Last edited:
You can actually order them on your own from that link I posted above. If you put those symbols in the search box on that link it goes in detail and it will tell you what they are.
As Donald remarked, one is LDL size and the INFLAMMATION which I know you are aware a big subject in that book that I think you both recommended. "Why we get sick"

@Donald Are you involved with the Cleveland Clinic? That would be awesome. Sounds like you REALLY have someone at the top of their game ordering those tests. Wow...
I get their monthly "Heart Advisor" in the mail, also just ordered literally order form went in the mailbox yesterday a new boob Cleveland Clinic Coronary Artery Disease.

This is a great thread, love listening to what you guys are doing.
I am not involved in the Functional Medicine program at Cleveland Clinic. I think Dr Mark Harman was part of that program. I will see how things progress with the functional medicine Dr I just started working with. But if I could benefit from the program at Cleveland Clinic then I might pursue that.

I am not involved in the Functional Medicine program at Cleveland Clinic. I think Dr Mark Harman was part of that program. I will see how things progress with the functional medicine Dr I just started working with. But if I could benefit from the program at Cleveland Clinic then I might pursue that.
He seems to be on his game by the test he ordered. If you remember my previous post regarding the Lipo protein A. In our new home and new area I have a new cardiologist. that’s the first time a cardiologist looked at my family history and ordered two blood tests that no cardiologist ever did. And like your experience he was taking his time and we were having a normal conversation and he was explaining why. It was pretty cool.
I commented how impressed I was with him.

Are you ready?
Even though I previously posted, my new cardiologist interned at the Cleveland clinic
I was already impressed by that because I’ve been reading the publications for a fair amount of years already.

Would love to hear how you make out with any follow ups and tests. I said it before, but this is a great thread.
I’m already taking steps with regard to insulin resistance before I end up with full-blown diabetes. According to that book, I definitely have all the criteria for insulin resistance.
I know Pablo was big on that and maybe between you or him is the first time I heard about resistance

IR is a battle.............I had hit yet another plateau. This one seems to be slowly breaking down in an interesting and good way.

First of all my BG rarely spikes, my manual meter and phone app show an A1C closer 5.8 than any time ever, when I would be really happy with 6.0! I am unsure if I can go much lower, but I will continue.

The really good news, I must be getting a bit closer to keto, because the weight drop meter FINALLY moved again. I've been stuck at 168 pounds for a long time, need to be below 165. Here we go. It makes it psychologically easier when I see progress, not just feel progress 🤪 😻

Not sure if this will help anyone but I think it applies here. Not necessarily those posting in here but those that read and dont post.
I ran across something I just sent to one of my kids. Being both diabetes and heart disease are rampant in our family tree and some on the other side of the family too.
You chose a location and if you meet the criteria they will test you at no charge. I just sent it to them/my son because I know if he has to pay he wont do it *LOL*, doesn't seem to be any gotcha's but I haven't gone through the question process, though I encouraged them to.
As posted the test is free, includes A1C, Lipo A and eGFR if anyone interested, scroll down and click "Find A Location" to see if one hear you.
Again, I know nothing about this offer except it seems legit and we are going to see a huge increase in Lipo A testing in the future once a way to control it is developed which is in trials right now. I signed up for a trial and waiting if they will ever get to me. They have replied but none in my area YET.

So check this out, yesterday I ate a medium large banana.

My BG went absolutely NUTS. I don't really like bananas that much and frankly I always feel lousy after eating them. I had not had a banana in maybe a year or so.

I've been doing really good BG wise, and even when I eat a little pasta or strawberries or sugar or date sugar in my coffee - I might get a 140 rise, max and then right back down.

So this banana - BG went 194 and two hours later 187...........and super early this AM BG 180.........HOLY MOTHER OF SPIKES went and played vigor pickleball, fasting..........9:00AM BG 142

Ate protein and veggie lunch BG 144, then 3:15PM BG 125.

Ate dinner, some pasta BG now 104!

"It's just fruit"

Hmmmm................banana

Pabs get on a Keto diet for a month, meat and non starchy vegetables and report the BG levels. Carbs and [fruit] sugars kick up the insulin . I never have been a big sweet food eater but these days I hate the way sweet stuff tastes.

Pabs get on a Keto diet for a month, meat and non starchy vegetables and report the BG levels. Carbs and [fruit] sugars kick up the insulin . I never have been a big sweet food eater but these days I hate the way sweet stuff tastes.
Read my previous posts

I have been very strict

So check this out, yesterday I ate a medium large banana.

My BG went absolutely NUTS. I don't really like bananas that much and frankly I always feel lousy after eating them. I had not had a banana in maybe a year or so.

Hmmmm................banana
Yes, I was surprised to see Bananas (among others) on page 212 of "Why We Get Sick" "avoid when possible"

Yes seriously. Not a great food source. Will they kill you? Not immediately
It's ironic because until this book everyday at noonish I would have a banana, vitamin and shredded wheat. Sometimes no shredded wheat. Thinking I was being healthy. I dont eat breakfast.

Ok, BUT anyway, for the heck of it I took my blood glucose (as you know so far only male in my family without diabetes but I do watch it time to time and it has been going up and why I am on this new aggressive thing.

How much if anything would 20oz of coffee and an ounce (two at most) skim milk have on my BG? I didnt eat anything today and was surprised to see it at 106, kind of upset with myself at the moment.

I have been a little more careless the last year moving to a new state but still better than by far the majority and getting back on my goals, (that book was a helpful motivator and next will be to re-read a book by a famous cardiologist.

Edit, I just looked up caffeine and BG, can have an effect but either way, I got to get with the program and more serious.

Last edited:
It's ironic because until this book everyday at noonish I would have a banana, vitamin and shredded wheat. Sometimes no shredded wheat. Thinking I was being healthy. I dont eat breakfast.

Ok, BUT anyway, for the heck of it I took my blood glucose (as you know so far only male in my family without diabetes but I do watch it time to time and it has been going up and why I am on this new aggressive thing.

How much if anything would 20oz of coffee and an ounce (two at most) skim milk have on my BG? I didnt eat anything today and was surprised to see it at 106, kind of upset with myself at the moment.

I have been a little more careless the last year moving to a new state but still better than by far the majority and getting back on my goals, (that book was a helpful motivator and next will be to re-read a book by a famous cardiologist.

Edit, I just looked up caffeine and BG, can have an effect but either way, I got to get with the program and more serious.
Yes, I had the same question. Coffee is a good test of insulin resistance without doing harm. Used to bump me 10-15 pts. Now maybe 5. But I was kinda surprised and my naturopath said the same, last year I was like "I'm fasting, I just had some coffee..........."

I know for you, it super tough. Skim milk WILL definitely bump your BG. Best is cream, but for you watching all fats, especially animal. What about coconut cream?

EDIT: 106 is NOTHING to worry about. I THINK you are over 50.

I too am the only person in my family to have diabetes. I was NEVER ever a total junk eater. Decent shape, 165 pounds. Very active. I was doing manual labor outside all morning so far. Pickleball 3 times a week. It gets frustrating - something like a banana!

Back