Insulin Resistance - ready to learn something?

I have read Dr. Bikman's book, "Why we get sick". It's a great read full of facts and research. It may change the way you think about eating. I challenge you to read the book. You might be surprised how many things besides carbs contribute to insulin resistance. These are well researched facts not Dr. Bikman's hunch or feelings. He offers no quick fixes, but does give a roadmap to insulin sensitivity.

Last edited:
I have read Dr. Bikman's book, "Why we get sick". It's a great read full of facts and research. It may change the way you think about eating. I challenge you to read the book. You might be surprised how many things besides carbs contribute to insulin resistance. These are well researched facts not Dr. Bikman's hunch or feelings. He offers no quick fixes, but does give a roadmap to insulin sensitivity.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just ordered the book on AMZN, looking forward to receiving the book tomorrow.

With carbs one needs to look at the carb vs fiber for a given food. Red raspberries for example (good carb) 14.7 grams of carb and 8 grams of fiber. White rice (not so good carb) 53.4 grams of carb and 0.6 grams of fiber.
SOME truth to this. BUT if you are IR that does NOT mean you can eat as much fruit as you want. It's great to know the values, but don't use it to justify. I'm just as guilty, just be careful.

I have heard of your guy. I will check him out, further. My main guy is Dr Ekberg. But I somewhat like Dr. Berry and Dr Berg. They all do this for income, I'm sure. But that does not make them wrong. The message is right and it is STRONG.

What we all need to watch out for are the BS studies in the pop news. Most recent is the total fake poppycock "study" that red meat causes ((IR) and) diabetes. So much garbage out there starting with the food pyramid.

The real truth is diabetes is a killer. Direct links to all kinds of symptoms that some industries make a killing on after the food industry makes the killing causing. Sick, very sick cycle. People need to wake up.

I am battling and winning.

Side ironic note. Check the calibration of your BGM!! Mine was giving me false highs for over 15 days from bad strips. I went into a little stress (doesn't help!!) but doubled down on my efforts. When I got the new strips, phew!! Wow. Shows that I can win. My BG levels are lowest since I started this journey. I get my official A1c in February. PLUS: I REALLY REALLY need a CBGM - Continuous Blood Glucose Monitor. This will really give a MUCH better picture. Pretty sure I need an Rx for one. Dexcom or the like.

EDIT: Fixed sleepy typos, added CBGM.

Last edited:
SOME truth to this. BUT if you are IR that does NOT mean you can eat as much fruit as you want. It's to know the values, but don't use it to justify. I'm just as guilty, just be careful.

I have heard of your guy. I will check him out, further. My main guy is Dr Ekberg. But I somewhat like Dr. Berry and Dr Berg. They all do this for income, I'm sure. But that does not make them wrong. The message is right and it is STRONG.

What we all need to watch out for are the BS studies in the pop news. Most recent is the total fake poppycock "study" that red meat causes ((IR) and) diabetes. So much garbage out there starting with the food pyramid.

The real truth is diabetes is a killer. Direct links to all kinds of symptoms that some industries make a killing on after the food industry makes the killing causing. Sick, very sick cycle. People need to wake up.

I am battling and winning.

Side ironic note. Check the calibration of you BGM!! Mine was giving me false highs for over 15 days from bad strips. I went into a little stress (doesn't help!!) but doubled down on my efforts. When I got the new strips, phew!! Wow. Shows that I can win. My BG levels are lowest since I started this journey. I get my official A1c in February.
It’s really cool to see people take this seriously. I hate repeating, but so far I’m the only male in my family who has avoided diabetes.
Whether or not lucky, all I can say is, I’m the only male in my family that eats the opposite of the others to what they think is an extreme, and I consider a hobby and just eating what we are supposed too.
To check on on myself I even had my advantage C plan pay for a blood glucose monitor just out of curiosity no different than the oil in your car on how I’m doing even though I don’t have diabetes at this time.
This is only to see how my blood sugar reacts between sleep and daytime and fasting. I’ve only done this one time it’s not every day or every month thing just maybe every once in a while.

I thought I would give you this link only because I discovered recently you can have your blood tested as long as you want to pay for it you can have it done on your own in any national lab.
You can monitor your progress until your next official test with your doctor.

Anyway, a lot of times they run specials in for 20 bucks you can get a A1c or PSA or a complete series of tests. I’m not sure exactly what type of specials on the website but now that I signed up and had my first test done by them, I get emails all the time with special pricing.

I say this because for the first time I just had my own PSA done just to monitor my progress until my next test with my doctor in two months.

For the record and those that don’t know me I’m not some crazy person who doesn’t enjoy life and worry about everything I eat, and everything I do.
I’m just someone who like a hobby as a human being with faults tries to take care of this body just like all of us try to take care of our cars and make sure it gets the proper oil.
It’s really no different, take care of yourself because replacement parts are hard to find, very expensive and in many cases once things start breaking down, it can be a downward spiral, unless you take immediate corrective action seriously.

Last edited:
Thinking about what you eat and why was a good one for me. The three square meals a day day is another thing I threw out with the food pyramid. Generally have a snack in the morning, fruit at noon and my meal with meat at 4 pm or so. Nothing after 6 pm.

Thinking about what you eat and why was a good one for me. The three square meals a day day is another thing I threw out with the food pyramid. Generally have a snack in the morning, fruit at noon and my meal with meat at 4 pm or so. Nothing after 6 pm.
Yeah, that’s the key for me. I call it grazing after dinner the key is dinner is the last meal of the day and whenever I fall off the wagon on that one, my weight starts to go up even though I eat healthy calories are calories and carbs ate carbs whether it’s fruit or yogurt, even though it’s better than junk food it’s still isn’t good if you eat too much of it

Snacking is killer.

Some so called healthy foods are not that great. I will just give two examples.

Beans - OK OK I know. But beans ARE mostly carbs. Go easy or skip. Certainly watch the bean sauces (BBQ, baked, etc with sugar). But even plain beans. Eat a healthy amount and check your blood. Not in one hour, but closer 2-3 hours. If you are IR it will spike. A later spike is still a spike!

Nuts - no they won't cause a quick blood spike, BUT if you are anything like me, it's super easy to eat more than a qtr cup. Heck I could power a cup. BUT the caloric count is ridiculous and yes there will be a delayed (but not so nasty) spike from most nuts. Use nuts as a topping or in a dish, snacking be careful.

Snacking sucks. Better to just not do it and NEVER do it after 5-6 PM. If you must in between your two meals, celery or any greens, a salad with only lemon/vinegar and olive oil. Heck even FULL FAT cottage cheese.

Yeah, that’s the key for me. I call it grazing after dinner the key is dinner is the last meal of the day and whenever I fall off the wagon on that one, my weight starts to go up even though I eat healthy calories are calories and carbs ate carbs whether it’s fruit or yogurt, even though it’s better than junk food it’s still isn’t good if you eat too much of it
Non-fat sweetened fruit yogurt is an evil trick on fat people. Doesn't even satisfy. Drives BG through the roof. Terrible really for anyone.

Full fat, no sweetener yogurt is OK in moderation.

Just compare the carbs in each. That one is easy.

Back