Installing hitch & refinishing paint/corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am installing a trailer hitch on two sedans. I have seen these hitches rust quite a bit, so I would like to offer some protection to the mating surface on the underside of the vehicles where the hitch bolts up.
I was thinking of some kind of sealant to slow corrosion and keep out moisture (and we have salty road winters). Found this 3M 5200 marine sealant with a little research. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000AY6AC...=A297FB27E4KSS3

What do you think about that sealant? Not sure I need a full cartridge, but the next size down is 3 ounce and not sure thats enough.

Also, one of the cars has a little bit of corrosion started where the hitch will bolt up. I would like to refinish that surface before bolting up the hitch. I have an angle grinder to strip the paint, but how should I repaint it?

Thanks

Ps. Heres a picture of the hitch and how it mounts up:
I6xPNZp.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Jeep Cherokee. They are known for being super rust buckets and having the "frame" rust apart.

I apply grease between the mating surface of the hitch and the "frame". I also have done the same with my Ford Focus. In the fall, I will apply a thin coat of grease to everything on the hitch to keep it from rusting up.

I'd suggest some grease, and FluidFilm. Sealants seem to end up with some opening and then trapping what you were trying to keep out.

FWIW - Curt hitches (and others) are powder coated. Good prices at etrailer or Amazon. I understand you are concerned about the attachment point also, but just saying about the hitch.

I use Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti-Rust for things like this and it holds up very well. Have some on my 04 Camry that was applied ten years ago. It sprays on very thin and penetrates very small clearances. I believe it still comes in several colors. Spread newspapers around if you want to avoid a mess.

Use S-100 Corrosion Protectant. I use it on all metal parts in the engine compartment and undercarriage including hitches. Absolutely stops rust (or corrosion on aluminum parts) that is there and will prevent rust without fail. Dries clear. I just traded a 2001 Ram and the hitch looked like it had just been installed.

http://www.s100.com/s100_cp.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back