Installed tranny cooler, but leaks @ input line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "aviation" clamp in the picture looks a little large. Clamps that are too large for the application sometimes don't allow you to take up enough on them. Accordingly, they don't squeeze the hose uniformly and they allow it to leak. Try a smaller clamp and let us know if that does the trick.

If that is not the problem, then I would suspect there might be a crack where the inlet tube goes into the cooler. It might be just weeping. I've repaired lower radiator nipples because of this problem, even on new cars. I'd throughly clean the connections between the nipple and the radiator, wrap several turns of heavy copper wire around the nipple to create a "beefy fillet," apply acid flux, and solder with a torch. If this is the problem, I would try and return the cooler for a new one.

I have always been apprehensive of auxiliary coolers because of the possibility of leaks developing at an inopportune time. That's the way life is. Instead, I use synthetic ATF. Synthetics have a higher coefficient of heat, allow bearings to run cooler, and obviate the need for an auxiliary cooler in many cases. I realize there are many situations where coolers are required, but heat becomes much less of an issue with transmissions using synthetic ATF.

[ July 18, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: TxGreaseMonkey ]

ooh that might be a possiblity. Or mayber I'll just take out this cooler. Seems like it might give me more headache.

Is synthetic ATF enough to avoid overheating?

quote:

Originally posted by 626LX2.0LATX1998:
I installed a tranny cooler, in series after the radiator. However the new hose I connected from the radiator(out) to the aux cooler (in) leaks tranny fluid @ the junction. I tighten the clamps as much as possible but leak still comes out. Not a lot but enough to create a stain on my condenser where the aux tranny cooler is mounted.

Hose size is 3/8", I'll post a pic in a minute.

I also think you put that on upside down. I installed the cooler on my 04 Mazda6S with the hoses on the bottom and have not had any problems with leaks. I also use Redline D4 syn.fluid with good results.
cheers.gif

I installed a tranny cooler, in series after the radiator. However the new hose I connected from the radiator(out) to the aux cooler (in) leaks tranny fluid @ the junction. I tighten the clamps as much as possible but leak still comes out. Not a lot but enough to create a stain on my condenser where the aux tranny cooler is mounted.

Hose size is 3/8", I'll post a pic in a minute.

if that pic is exactly how it looks, I put my transmission cooler in differently. I had it where the hose was running from the bottom of the cooler not the top like you have. It may have something to do with it, but then again I've only put one cooler on before but had no leaks. have you tried running the car and watch where the leak is coming from? hose, cooler, etc?

I would put the cooler before the rad.
I would have it turned 90 degrees so it filled from the bottom end exited from the top.
I would invest in quality hose clamps the right size.
Make sure to retighten the clamps after heated up.

quote:

Originally posted by TxGreaseMonkey:
It appears, to me, that the cooler is before the radiator.

It is physically mounted on the front, but he said it is installed "... in series after the radiator."

I think that is what is questioned, however cooler manufacturers are clear that it should be installed after the radiator, as he has done, so the transmission gets the most-cooled fluid.

People want to place the radiator after the cooler to "warm" the cooled fluid in colder weather.

626LX2,
I have noticed another potential problem with your installation: The hose must be bent at a wider angle. If you leave it like that you may have a ruptured hose just above the joint.
If you want to know if your hose is tight enough try to rotate it at the connection. If it rotates you must use a smaller size clamp and tighten it carefully, as it was suggested.

Another thing is the hose itself. It looks like (please correct me if I am wrong)standard 3/8" 'fuel line', rather than the 'transmission' line, which is much more durable. 3/8 'fuel line' is much more prone to leaking when used with oil. It also will not withstand those higher temps as well. If it is, contact your local autohouse and ask them for transmission line hoes. You will see a marked difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back