Installed my transmission bypass filter.(pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I compeleted the upgrade/conversion on my first fleet vehicle. This involves Amsoil synthetic in the engine/trans/PS, DR bypass filters on the engine,a BE90 bypass filter on the trans and a B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler with thermostatic fan. I already equipped a couple other vehicles with the DR's but this is the first one to get the full treatment. Here are the pics, I left them hyper-linked because they are kinda large.

pic #1

Here it is with the bumper off(took 15 minutes), there's tons of room behind it so I mounted everything in there. The B&M is mounted low so it's in the airstream from the lower spoiler ducts. The bypass is mounted to the frame rail on the drivers isde.

pic #2

The B&M trans cooler with thermostatic fan(175F on, 150F off) I mounted it with some brackets I made out of flat iron and it's very solid.

The ATF enters on the left and exits on the right via 90 degree barbed hose fittings. The "T" for the bypass filter is spliced into the return line.

pic #3

The BP80A asnd BE90. Again 90 degree barbed hose fittings were used and the cleaned oil returns to the tranny via a fitting I welded into the dipstick tube. The restricter in the mount is very small. I measured only 1oz per minute flow @2000RPM. So I opened up the orifice with a 7/64 drill bit and now it flows 12oz per minute. That'll clean the entire capacity of the trans every 30 minutes.

pic #4

The BMK-13 with SDF15 and BE90 nestled in the engine bay between the radiator and trans.

pic #5

Filters from underneath.

pic #6

Spin on adapter with 90 degree fittings.

Here's hoping for 300,000 miles on the original engine and tranny!
cheers.gif

[ June 16, 2004, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: olympic ]

awesome.

You do nice work, too bad you are so far away, I could send you some work!!! LOL

I'd love to find someone mechanically inclined as you to do installs for all of my by-pass filter clients.
cheers.gif

Nice work..how long do you think it will take each time to change out the tranny filter? Will you have to pull the bumper?

Nope, the filter is accessible from underneath, so it'll be a 5 minute job to replace it. I had to remove the bumper beacuse there just wasn't enough room to get in there with a drill.

quote:

How long are the lines to the DR and do you see a change in how fast you get oil pressure.

Not very long, maybe 18" max. My cars only have idiot lights so it's hard to tell how fast the pressure comes up. But the light goes out right away and there's no unusual start-up noise. I had the oil pressure tested after the install and it was normal. My UOA's have shown very good wear numbers so I don't think there's anyting to worry about.

One thing I wouldn't do is install a DR setup on an engine with really high oil flow rates. I own a Taurus SHO and it pumps something like 13gpm at high RPM. I think the 1/2" ID lines for the bypass would be a restriction. Installing a T fitting in the block and bleeding off oil from there to feed the bypass would be a better idea on an engine like that.

[ August 11, 2004, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: olympic ]

nice work. in the future, always be sure to blow out the fittings, cooler, and rubber lines before you hook them up to the tranny. just because they are brand new does not mean they are perfectly clean. use some r134-a refrigerant and blow them clean first. better safe than sorry. the dealer would void your warranty in a heartbeat if you had any kind of tranny problems with that aftermarket setup.

I'm nearing 2 years and 1,000,000 miles with bypasss filters and synthetic ATF in all my transmissions....zero failures! I used to do 2-3 rebuilds per year.

Your right about the warranty issue, it's something each person has to decide for themselves if they have a newer car. For me the factory warranty is gone in less than a year so I don't worry about it. Plus now that I don't have to finance my cars, I've been buying 3 year old used cars/vans. They're 1/3 the price of new but still have 80% of their life left in them.

Good advice on flushing the hoses, I forgot to mention that.

Have you ever monitored transmission temps? How effective is that setup with the seperate fan? Do you notice the fan coming on often?

I've always meant to install a temp guage but never got around to it. I've never noticed the fan coming on but it's pretty much impossible to hear it or see it because of its location. The thermostat turns the fan on at 170F and off at 160F so I'm sure the ATF gets hot enough during stop and go traffic for the fan to kick on. It's an awesome cooler with 1/2"NPT ports which is hard to find. If you do heavy towing, racing, etc, I'd highly recommend it.

Sweet. I need something just liek that, because I want to make sure that my transmission cooler receives proper cooling even at low speeds where thermal load can be the greatest, due to traffic.

Link to Summit Racing

I got the smaller one. Not cheap but it's built like a tank. Mine already survived a frontal impact that nearly totalled the car!
cool.gif
It doesn't come with fittings or hoses since applications will vary so much, but you can get brass NPT fittings anywhere. Or you can even go with AN fittings and braided stainless steel hoses for a bulletproof system.

I'm bumping this older thread to keep it within search range. Olympic bought about 15 BP80a units for his taxi fleet in Canada. He went to the trouble of welding a return tube on to the dipstick. This was before I developed my "across the cooler circuit" method of plumbing them. I don't know if I truly pioneered the practice ..but I never heard anyone else doing it
21.gif

This installation, iirc, reduced his trans failure rate from relatively high to virtually no-existent (again iirc).

THanks for bringing this back to life Gary! What are your thoughts on opening up the orfice? I had no idea that it flowed so little. Its got me thinkin!
grin2.gif

I dunno
54.gif
Olympic sure seemed intent on doing it and was thoroughly convinced that it was wise. It would probably lower the efficiency of the filter slightly ..but who knows?

I decided to leave well enough alone. I am confident that amsoil knew what they were doing when they came up with an orfice size for this particular mount.

SO far everything has been great on both of my vehilces that are utilizing this setup! I hope to drain a little fluid out of the camry as it is approaching 15K from original install. I plan to send off a sample for particle count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back