installed Linux,then problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
i tried booting and after the logo,it went blank thenBSOD. I then rebooted,went to the repair option and I also got a BSOD. So from gParted ,which one from the pic is the Windows os, so that I can delete it? Thanks

Don't over think it, just delete all the partitions and set the whole drive up as Linux.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I know this sounds like a monumental PITA, but can you get a functional copy of WIndows on it temporarily to do the BIOS flash? Do you have another computer you could connect the SSD to in order to see if there is a firmware update for it?
I took the hdd off of a Acer extensa 5230e that a friend gave that doesn't turn on. Can I use that on this laptop in order to update bios, or does it have to be the SSD on another laptop?

If Windows doesn't boot, you can just install Linux on that drive and save the SSD for another machine.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
If Windows doesn't boot, you can just install Linux on that drive and save the SSD for another machine.

He's already got another drive (the original one) that he could do that with, we are trying to update the BIOS at this juncture.

He's already got another drive (the original one) that he could do that with, we are trying to update the BIOS at this juncture.

I thought that drive was bad so he was trying to update the BIOS to use the replacement SSD.

no luck, with the Acer hdd, it just keeps going to the Dell logo in a continuous loop

no luck, with the Acer hdd, it just keeps going to the Dell logo in a continuous loop

Boot loop. Yeah. And you don't have any windows install CD's or flash sticks eh?

Put freeDOS and the Dell BIOS upgrade program on a USB. You can boot to DOS then run the exe file.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Put freeDOS and the Dell BIOS upgrade program on a USB. You can boot to DOS then run the exe file.

That may be beyond the scope of the OP's comfort zone. He's also working from a Linux bootable flash at this juncture, so stuff that would be relatively easy for him in Windows won't be here.

Originally Posted By: mk378

That may be beyond the scope of the OP's comfort zone. He's also working from a Linux bootable flash at this juncture, so stuff that would be relatively easy for him in Windows won't be here.
Yup,WAAAAY beyond. LOL . Btw, I found this, apparently SSD's have a problem seating correctly and not getting found. this is what 1 person wrote on a site; RE: Inspiron 1525 will not recognize Samsung 840 SSD

to get the ssd to appear, you need to get something to fill the void left from the older mechanical drive as it was bigger than the ssd

the problem is that you may think it is going into the slot, but in reality the ssd does not go in cause it just slides right under the sata port.

you can get a bracket (most new ssd's now come with one) and just attach it with the ssd and insert it" I'll see if i can seat it better somehow.

Boot loop. Yeah. And you don't have any windows install CD's or flash sticks eh?
noinstall CD's or sticks

?

Normally, the hard drive sits in a carrier that properly fits in the OEM slot. You would remove that carrier from the OEM drive and fit the SSD to it so that it seats properly.

I just checked to see if it seats properly and it looks like it does.

Is there a carrier that you moved from the old drive to the new one?

I just checked to see if it seats properly and it looks like it does.

Is there a carrier that you moved from the old drive to the new one?
Yes, the little tray that the SSD screws onto.

Try the SSD in another computer to confirm that it works.

Most SSDs are 7 mm thickness now, the older mechanical drives are 9 mm. There should have been a 2 mm spacer provided to stick on the top of the drive to make it fit snugly in the holder. This may not be necessary if the drive screws into place from the bottom.

Last edited:
What I ended up doing is using the original laptop hdd ,erasing everything in the partition with Gpart and then attempted once again to load Linux onto this hdd. It seems to finally take. I had to take off, so I left it loading. I’ll try the ssd on the Acer laptop,once I figure out why it doesn’t turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back