installed Linux,then problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a low-level problem that the SSD drive is not being recognized. Pull the USB drive out and boot to the BIOS setup. Make sure the disk controller is enabled and the SSD is recognized. You should see the model number and capacity on one of the status screens under the first tab. If the BIOS never identifies the drive, it seems to be a hardware failure.

Teamviewer cannot do this.

Last edited:
It's weird situations like these that usually turn people away from installing Linux.

You're doing well, OP. Patience will be rewarded

Originally Posted By: mk378
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
\My guess is you are looking at the wrong drive. Gparted is looking at your flash drive. You need to point it toward your SSD.

Yes, on the right side of the window, there is a pull down list: see if there is a sdb.

If the only drive you see is the USB flash drive, it is possible the SSD is not working at all. In that case boot to the BIOS setup and see if any SATA drives are listed.

So does this mean that there is a hdd recognized, or it just lists all of these, even if they're not there?

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
It's weird situations like these that usually turn people away from installing Linux.

You're doing well, OP. Patience will be rewarded
Thanks, I'm trying.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
So does this mean that there is a hdd recognized, or it just lists all of these, even if they're not there?

That's just the sequence. If a HDD was recognized, it should have been listed below the HDD line (I think). See here:

https://appuals.com/how-to-check-if-your-hard-disk-has-failed-or-failing/

Also, isn't there a "Device Info" section in your BIOS? That should also show some details about your HDD/SSD, if it was detected.

That's just the sequence. If a HDD was recognized, it should have been listed below the HDD line (I think). See here:

https://appuals.com/how-to-check-if-your-hard-disk-has-failed-or-failing/

Also, isn't there a "Device Info" section in your BIOS? That should also show some details about your HDD/SSD, if it was detected.

This. Also make sure controller mode is set to AHCI.

OVERKILL, I put back the original HDD and ran Linux off the flashdrive and it booted up, I checked GParted and got this. So this means that the HDD was never messed up only the OS? Also, if it's good, how do i delete everything but Linux?

No, that does not mean that drive isn't failing. It does however mean that the computer isn't detecting the SSD.

Did you ensure that the controller mode in the BIOS is set to AHCI?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
No, that does not mean that drive isn't failing. It does however mean that the computer isn't detecting the SSD.

Yes, I just checked it right now and it's been set to AHCI

Yes, I just checked it right now and it's been set to AHCI
Just to be clear, That gParted pic is with the original HDD, not the SSD that is not being recognized. I checked AHCI with original HDD still in laptop.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
You’re almost there but I’ll let Overkill OK my suggestion before you proceed. I know enough to be dangerous but it’s not my field of profession.

The current drive you’re seeing in GParted is your spinning drive as denoted by the “a” suffix (sda). The usb drive is not presented here. It would have a different drive letter assigned, i.e. sdb.

The procedure now would be to click on “device” from the GParted menu then select “create new” (or something similar to that). That action will delete all partitions and create a new unassigned space; just what you want. Choose MBR or MSDOS as your partition table.

Close GParted then click on install from the start screen.

Note: as Overkill stated you still might have a drive problem given it didn’t work the first time. However, not having a clean drive might also have been the issue.

As far as your SSD. Maybe there’s a compatibility firmware issue given your onboard sata controller is ver.1

Doing a quick google search, I see some people having to update their BIOS before the 1525 can recognize certain SSDs. In other cases, just reseating it solved the problem.

What brand SSD is it?

Doing a quick google search, I see some people having to update their BIOS before the 1525 can recognize certain SSDs. In other cases, just reseating it solved the problem.

What brand SSD is it?

Yes, I mentioned to him that updating the BIOS may be necessary in a PM. SSD's can be finicky. The computer is obviously not seeing the device, so getting it to is goal #1 here before anything else can be done.

Ubuntu, and every one of it's Linux brothers, sisters, or even second cousins does not need any extra drivers for generic hardware.
Mint is an excellent OS, and you should have zero issues.
Once you get the SSD sorted, boot from the thumbdrive, and follow the bouncing ball. Mint will run first from the USB, then once up, you have an option to install to the hard drive. You'll get an opportunity to partition or use the whole drive at that point.
My most recent favorite Linux load is deepin. Bulletproof, fast, slick GUI.

Last edited:

What brand SSD is it?
sanDisk Model SSDA 2.5' SSDA-240G.

What brand SSD is it?

Yes, I mentioned to him that updating the BIOS may be necessary in a PM. SSD's can be finicky. The computer is obviously not seeing the device, so getting it to is goal #1 here before anything else can be done.
Ok, i still have the original HDD installed. I d/l'ed the newer bios and at the dropdown download list, it has the Windows logo beside it. I tried opening it and I get "This link needs to be opened with an application. send to:"

Last edited:

What brand SSD is it?

Ok, i still have the original HDD installed. I d/l'ed the newer file and at the dropdown download list, it has the Windows logo beside it. I tried opening it and I get "This link needs to be opened with an application. send to:"

You have to update it from Windows. Do you still have a functional Windows install on the machine on the old hard drive? That's what I was driving at.

Sometimes they also have a version that's bootable from a flash drive or a Linux version, but I generally only see the latter for servers (HP and DELL come to mind).

What brand SSD is it?

Ok, i still have the original HDD installed. I d/l'ed the newer file and at the dropdown download list, it has the Windows logo beside it. I tried opening it and I get "This link needs to be opened with an application. send to:"

You have to update it from Windows. Do you still have a functional Windows install on the machine on the old hard drive? That's what I was driving at.

Sometimes they also have a version that's bootable from a flash drive or a Linux version, but I generally only see the latter for servers (HP and DELL come to mind).
No, every time that I try to boot Win, it goes straight to the Dell Media Center logo page then it goes blank.

I know this sounds like a monumental PITA, but can you get a functional copy of WIndows on it temporarily to do the BIOS flash? Do you have another computer you could connect the SSD to in order to see if there is a firmware update for it?

i tried booting and after the logo,it went blank thenBSOD. I then rebooted,went to the repair option and I also got a BSOD. So from gParted ,which one from the pic is the Windows os, so that I can delete it? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back