Infamous 3.6 Pentastar oil cooler strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's square in the ballpark as far as cost goes. It is a relatively simple home mechanic project with a few hand tools and watching the SouthMainAuto video on youtube among others. Too late now but for future reference. Hand tighten the filter cap only.
The o-ring on my ‘14 JGC makes hand tightening impossible. I use a wrench until the big lip on the cap contacts the cartridge tube. So far, no leaks.

Right now we are living in an apartment and don't have the space to work on it ourselves. The mechanic pulled a quart of oil out of the "valley" of the engine block. He's a great guy!

You did great! $650 is close to half of what other are paying recently. I haven't done this job myself. If you do search youtube for this job, it's definitely DIY-able, but there is a lot to it. The upper intake has to come off, as does the lower IM. A mix of clips, fasteners, bolts, hoses and electrical connectors. Fuel injector connectors and fuel lines. Several vacuum hoses and the coolant hoses on the cooler itself. I think the FSM has you completely drain the coolant, but I believe you can pinch off the coolant hose just before the cooler. I'm sure there's shortcuts..

well, I am doing my own work if I have to I will take the entire engine apart. why would they design a part that can be over tightened? oh. I forgot.

The o-ring on my ‘14 JGC makes hand tightening impossible. I use a wrench until the big lip on the cap contacts the cartridge tube. So far, no leaks.
On my '14 GC I oil the o ring real good to help it a little - but you are right, it is still a little bit of force to secure it.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the pattern failures of 3.6L Pentastar engines used in Dodge/RAM/Jeep vehicles where they leak. It can leak oil or coolant or both. Most of the failures are attributed to oil change personnel overtightening the oil cap which stresses the plastic. But it will also fail on it's own in other ways such as what happened to mine. I've probably changed 5 or 6 over the years on other folks vehicles. You have to remove the intake and it sits deep down in the valley of the motor. Not a difficult job but a lot of small stuff to do keep cleared to reach it.

Well, the cooler in the wifes 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland finally blew its cooler this week - oil everywhere. I been holding my breath since we got it in 2014 for when it would happen to us....we made it to 117k miles which my be a record for an original 3.6 oil cooler LOL! Anyhow - bit the bullet and paid the $300 for the OEM part from the dealer. Once last year somebody brought me an ebay cooler they paid $75 for and it lasted exactly a year. This is not a job you want to keep doing so buy the OEM if possible, It has a 2yr warranty. Also make sure you get the correct one....they were changed in 2014. There is one for 2013 prior and one for 2014 and up. While I was in there, and intake off for needed room, I did the spark plugs and both valve cover gaskets. This is the first problem this vehicle has given in 117k miles - just great quality Jeep.

Just rambling on fellows - have a great day!
I have had two JGC with the Pentastar. 2011 and 2013, no oil cooler leaks. I feel left out now, but we'll see how long now with two 2020 Jeeps. I'm fairly confident they will last and if they don't my extended warranty will cover them.

Hey y'all. First post here. I'm suspecting my oil cooler module to be the fault of my coolant mystery. I'm losing about a half cup of coolant every time I drive, even just a few miles. I can't see any white smoke, the oil isn't milky, no oil in the coolant, no leaks (put uv dye in).

When this part fails, is it ever a slight leak? Or just mass failure.

Any other thoughts on what might be the issue?

Thanks

Originally Posted by dwcopple
I don't know of this being a problem on Pentastar sedans. Is this a Jeep issue? My 200 isn't leaking

Yes it is across the board. I've done a few Chargers and Challengers and a Caravan.-

I didn't know the 200 could have the 3.6 - that must be a little rocket!!
..the old Avengers with the 3.6 were pretty quick, here's one running a Focus ST.

I remember doing this once on my dad's '13 300 Pentastar

It's not uncommon, and no they haven't improved the parts

Just like the flex plates, cylinder heads, rocker arms, belt tensioners etc

That car was not built to last... 😡

Hey y'all. First post here. I'm suspecting my oil cooler module to be the fault of my coolant mystery. I'm losing about a half cup of coolant every time I drive, even just a few miles. I can't see any white smoke, the oil isn't milky, no oil in the coolant, no leaks (put uv dye in).

Thanks

If you’re losing that much coolant through a ruptured oil cooler, there would be a lot of coolant in the oil. And if it’s only when you drive, the coolant would be full of oil, not the other way around. You have a different problem.

Thanks
What is vehicle ? Does it have a radiator cap or just a plastic tank ?

Thanks
Yes there is.

In my experience exterior coolant leaks result in a "frosty residue". Is there any of that? Does "Chrysler coolant" leave said residue?
Can this part leak coolant ONLY? If it can, would leaked coolant pool up as leaked oil does?

In my experience exterior coolant leaks result in a "frosty residue". Is there any of that? Does "Chrysler coolant" leave said residue?
Can this part leak coolant ONLY? If it can, would leaked coolant pool up as leaked oil does?
Not that I've been able to find

If you’re losing that much coolant through a ruptured oil cooler, there would be a lot of coolant in the oil. And if it’s only when you drive, the coolant would be full of oil, not the other way around. You have a different problem.
Thats why I'm left scratching my head... its like it's evaporating...

Thats why I'm left scratching my head... its like it's evaporating...
Have you pressure tested the cooling system? As mentioned the coolant is going somewhere, it could very well be the heater core. If it's a slight leak from the heater core it could take a long time to find w/o pressure testing the cooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back