Industry moving away from conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a GM dealership and GM has its reasons for semi synthetic oil and extended drain intervals. With oil being so much better it can go longer with hopes of being less dependent on oil. We recommend 5k oil changes on Goodwrench oil and 7500 miles on Dexos and Mobil 1.

Two years ago I said most auto companies will require synthetic oil within 10 years. The trend seems to be heading that way.

It sure seems that way re. synthetic but for the life of me I cannot think of any mfg. that requires full synthetic in all their models. Anyone????

Originally Posted By: termigator
I could be wrong, but it seems like all the newer cars nowadays require synthetic oil. All the newer Honda and Toyota vehicles seem to run on 0w20 and my brother-in-law's Jetta requires 5w40. I have yet to see any conventional oil in that viscosity range. Maybe it's just the imports?

These is certainly a trend. However, Ford still chooses not to require synthetic oil. E.g. for 20-grade oil, it has to meet their Ford-WSS-M2C930-A spec (or newer?). Most domestic conventional 5W20, even some 0W20 meet this. There is also a similar spec for 30 grade. I think they may eventually require synthetic oil for some ecoboost engines. There was an articles about an oil specially designed for 1.0L ecoboost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
It sure seems that way re. synthetic but for the life of me I cannot think of any mfg. that requires full synthetic in all their models. Anyone????

I guess except those european import... I personally really like the idea of extended drain, of course assume there's hard science to back the OLM

The Honda 0-20 is a blend I do not know about Toyota. The problem is the cost in any economy especially an increase is difficult. The mfg. seem to be providing a lower up cost for car care. So what happens?? $79 for a oil change that they say needs a 5k change. The olm are set at dino so I guess syn would really work. In a few years I think we will know. Ford is smart going slow with this and some other problems seem to be cropping up so decision was good. Syn. needs alittle more time to prove its cost pays for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back