India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to album

I just got back from a long overdue trip to India. It was my first visit to India and my first time in Asia as well.

One trip isn’t enough to see all that India has to offer as every state is different and there are also significant differences between north and south. We’ve only visited the northern part on this trip.

It’s a fascinating country, very vivid and full of contrasts. For example, the city of Agra is home to the magnificent Taj Mahal. But it is also a home to extreme poverty, water and air pollution, and dirtiness. Most other big cities are no different. Exquisite temples, palaces, and forts as well as world-class hotels are surrounded by homeless, sick, and beggars living on the streets below. For a westerner, it can be a gut wrenching experience, but one must look past it to be able to appreciate the good parts of India. I’m not suggesting that one becomes immune to human suffering, but you must not dwell on it too much or else it’ll get to your head and prevent you from enjoying the other sides of India. You have to experience both to get the full picture.

This trip was not meant to be a relaxing vacation. It was meant to be an eye opener to put some things in perspective and to develop more appreciation for the things that most westerners take for granted – clean air, water, access to a bath and a toilet, roof over your head. That is how majority of the world’s population lives, and since most of them don’t know any better, many actually appear to be quite content with the little that they have. We in the US (as well as other western countries) tend to complain quite a bit, but our complaints are usually laughable when compared to what many others in Asia or Africa struggle with every day. Poverty in the US and poverty in a country like India are on a completely different scale. I highly recommend a trip like this to see it firsthand. It’s a humbling experience.

As for driving in India’s cities, I call it organized chaos… trucks, buses, vans, cars, rickshaws, small motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, pedestrians, beggars, cows, goats, donkeys, pigs, dogs, all intertwined, coming within millimeters of each other in daily traffic. Yet, with nearly complete disregard for traffic signs and light signals, armed with a horn which is the most important part of any vehicle, they all seem to coexist and move quite smoothly for the most part. I’ve seen it on TV, but to find oneself in the midst of it is quite something else.

DISCLAIMER: I know we have quite a few Indian BITOG members. I hope my “firangi” observations don’t step on any toes. The people of India are very friendly and welcoming. I loved the trip and will be back for more.

I like the older gordon ramsey shows where he was trying to nail some authentic indian cuisine and compare it to dishes served all over the world claiming to be the same meal. After your above post its hard to say "it's the water" without skewed humor.

A lot of great brains come out of India, for having so little they have much to give for humanity.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Link to album

This trip was not meant to be a relaxing vacation. It was meant to be an eye opener to put some things in perspective and to develop more appreciation for the things that most westerners take for granted – clean air, water, access to a bath and a toilet, roof over your head. That is how majority of the world’s population lives, and since most of them don’t know any better, many actually appear to be quite content with the little that they have. We in the US (as well as other western countries) tend to complain quite a bit, but our complaints are usually laughable when compared to what many others in Asia or Africa struggle with every day. Poverty in the US and poverty in a country like India are on a completely different scale. I highly recommend a trip like this to see it firsthand. It’s a humbling experience.

I could not agree more. Most Americans are beyond spoiled... and still complain.

I hope you had a blessed trip. Welcome back.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Link to album

I just got back from a long overdue trip to India. It was my first visit to India and my first time in Asia as well.

One trip isn’t enough to see all that India has to offer as every state is different and there are also significant differences between north and south. We’ve only visited the northern part on this trip.

It’s a fascinating country, very vivid and full of contrasts. For example, the city of Agra is home to the magnificent Taj Mahal. But it is also a home to extreme poverty, water and air pollution, and dirtiness. Most other big cities are no different. Exquisite temples, palaces, and forts as well as world-class hotels are surrounded by homeless, sick, and beggars living on the streets below. For a westerner, it can be a gut wrenching experience, but one must look past it to be able to appreciate the good parts of India. I’m not suggesting that one becomes immune to human suffering, but you must not dwell on it too much or else it’ll get to your head and prevent you from enjoying the other sides of India. You have to experience both to get the full picture.

As for driving in India’s cities, I call it organized chaos… trucks, buses, vans, cars, rickshaws, small motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, pedestrians, beggars, cows, goats, donkeys, pigs, dogs, all intertwined, coming within millimeters of each other in daily traffic. Yet, with nearly complete disregard for traffic signs and light signals, armed with a horn which is the most important part of any vehicle, they all seem to coexist and move quite smoothly for the most part. I’ve seen it on TV, but to find oneself in the midst of it is quite something else.

DISCLAIMER: I know we have quite a few Indian BITOG members. I hope my “firangi” observations don’t step on any toes. The people of India are very friendly and welcoming. I loved the trip and will be back for more.

It is good for you to see Asia as an eye opener.
However India is only part of Asia, you should see Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore to see the complete of Asia.
You will see more luxurious car than economy car on the street
grin.gif
and whom always complain that their lifetime income will never buy those
whistle.gif

Hey welcome back ! Glad you enjoyed my homeland a lot. If I may make a recommendation, the next time you visit, check out the national parks and wildlife sanctuaries.

And yes you are right , we have poverty but somehow we have learnt to look beyond it.

Many Americans have little comprehension of what abject poverty really looks like, and smells like. Instead of a military draft perhaps we could/should of required every American to take at least one trip abroad to an emerging nation to better appreciate the life that we have. One needn't go all the way to India though--Mexico itself would be an eye opener enough.

Although I've never been to India, I have traveled to other countries in NE and SE Asia in recent years. It is very humbling to see the stark contrast in our lives and theirs. In my early 20's I somewhat learned to temper my wants and desires after seeing what others didn't have and would never have. I think these earlier and later experiences helped me in life to better appreciate what I have, and where I am fortunate to live!

Did you see any bodies floating down the Ganges River?

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

I can't see why India is so dirty especially since they must have learned something from the British in the last 400 years. They also seem to be smart enough to make nuclear bombs and rockets to deliver them.

I was in East Germany before they took down the wall. The poverty wasn't as bad as India, but it was like time stood still for 40 years. The problem the East Germans had was that the Soviets took everything. It wasn't worth it to produce anything above the required amount set by the government because you wouldn't get anything out of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Many Americans have little comprehension of what abject poverty really looks like, and smells like. Instead of a military draft perhaps we could/should of required every American to take at least one trip abroad to an emerging nation to better appreciate the life that we have. One needn't go all the way to India though--Mexico itself would be an eye opener enough.

Although I've never been to India, I have traveled to other countries in NE and SE Asia in recent years. It is very humbling to see the stark contrast in our lives and theirs. In my early 20's I somewhat learned to temper my wants and desires after seeing what others didn't have and would never have. I think these earlier and later experiences helped me in life to better appreciate what I have, and where I am fortunate to live!
I got to take a trip abroad to an emerging Asian nation courtesy OF the draft.

I spent a fair amount of time in India at a previous job and I loved visiting there. The contrast between Haves and Have-Nots is astounding and sharp, you are absolutely correct. Great people, great food and amazing traffic. Most westerners would cringe at the sight of rush hour traffic in Delhi or Kolkata - I found it to be hilarious and entertaining.

The "joke" we were told was the most important thing in an Indian car was the horn with a close second the accelerator pedal. Brakes and turn signals are for decoration only and should never be activated or repaired when they fail due to lack of use.

GREAT PICS! Thanks Pete - was that with the D40?

I grew up in Sri Lanka, so I can imagine the traffic scene
smile.gif

Sounds like it's a bit worse in India, though - there are a few cows or dogs and bicycles, but not like what you described...

Now there are some tolled expressways where there are only cars ..

when my wife (from TN, USA) first visited me in SL, the drive from the airport to the house scared her to death...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Great pics. Thanks for sharing my mother country.
cool.gif
Were you there during the festival of Diwali and New Years that just passed a couple of weeks ago? What was your favorite indian cuisine if you were brave enough to try it!!

I need to revisit India. Last time I was there was in 1988 and barely a teenager! I always love the food from the trollies there but it always gets me sick!

Your "firangi" observations were great. I as an Indian think you are right on! Sad but true is the fact that corruption within the government and the parliament is what creates the great divide between the rich and the poor! Until this changes, nothing else will change. In India, people live with the mantra "cash and gold are king" and these people who have tons of cash and gold are sometimes worshipped better than the Gods there. It is really sad.

We were in New Delhi during Diwali, spending time with some family friends. First time in a very long time that I was firing up some fireworks again. New Delhi was experiencing some really bad smog at the time, and all those massive fireworks that went on through the night probably didn't help the problem either.
smile.gif

As for food, I've been eating it (in the US) for a long time. Still can't tolerate the regular spice levels that Indians are accustomed to, but if it's toned down a bit, I love it. Butter chicken as well as tandoori chicken are my favorites, and paesh/kheer is my favorite dessert. I know the street vendor food is supposed to taste really good, but we did not have it due to the high risk of falling sick, as you noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back