Dot 4 lv versus super dot 4?

Hi

Ford recommends dot 4 LV (motorcraft pm-20) for my car (ford ranger variant in India, called the Endeavour)

What I can find in parts stores is a Ford super dot 4 (ford branded not motorcraft) and assorted other brands of dot 4, dot 4 plus, super dot 4, just not dot 4 lv, for which the only brands available in India (and both currently out of stock in my city) are Brembo and Motul.

How “equivalent” are a super dot 4, which also points to low viscosity, and dot 4 lv?

As far as I can see ford super dot 4 is oem’d BASF hydraulan 404, which is also oem for a number of other car brands - such as Mahindra, whose oem fluids are ubiquitous in India.

(The ford dealers in my city are at least two hours from where I live, and with a large queue for service since ford left India and some of their dealers moved to other brands, so ..)

Do you need it right now, or can you wait until the Brembo and Motul come back in stock? :unsure:

Do any stores have DOT 5.1? Make sure it's non-silicone DOT 5.1 and NOT the silicone DOT 5!

Super DOT 4 is slightly higher in viscosity than LV. It will probably work OK, but you should get the LV if possible. The lower visc helps with ABS performance.

Yes the endeavour has quite a lot of esp hill hold and such and clearly specifies only LV

Waiting for the Brembo, though I wish we had Valvoline and friends in LV rather than plain dot4

Thanks!

Hi

Ford recommends dot 4 LV (motorcraft pm-20) for my car (ford ranger variant in India, called the Endeavour)

What I can find in parts stores is a Ford super dot 4 (ford branded not motorcraft) and assorted other brands of dot 4, dot 4 plus, super dot 4, just not dot 4 lv, for which the only brands available in India (and both currently out of stock in my city) are Brembo and Motul.

How “equivalent” are a super dot 4, which also points to low viscosity, and dot 4 lv?

All those dot 4 LV etc designations are technically meaningless, they are marketing terms as there is no dot standard for low viscosity brake fluid. That's why each manufacturer is using a different designation. If there was a dot standard they wouldn't be. They almost certainly are all low viscosity brake fluids but if want to check a definitive specification on the bottle then you need to look for European ISO standard 4925 class 6 which specifies the low viscosity rating of 750 cSt @ -40 Deg C. Often it will just say class 6 and if you see that then its low viscosity fluid.

4925 class 6 are available aplenty and as you say under various nomenclatures. Thanks! The pm20 fluid found on Amazon is an import (so several days delivery time and 4x the cost).

I run regular DOT4 in all vehicles. VW Atlas still has OE brake fluid. BMW and VW Tiguan are both DOT4 LV, but I run ATE TYP200 in both as of now. In BMW I will switch to Motul RBF660 once track season starts.
Since I drive a lot on snow, I have never experienced issues running regular DOT4.

Back