Mazda Mild Hybrid Brake Fluid Requirements

Recent Mazdas in some market are fitted with a mild hybrid system utilising an ESP/brake by wire system and the service manual states to strictly use 'Mazda Genuine Brake Fluid or equivalent' which is DOT 3.

I have found the following on Mazda forums:
Brake Fluid of Mild Hybrid model only for applicable markets
Always make sure to use the Brake Fluids listed below for Brake by Wire (Electronically controlled brake unit) equipped for Mild Hybrid models. This is to prevent damages on rubber parts.
B060/BF25 DOT3 (CCI)
Safe Brake 16M/9M DOT4 (Clariant)
Hydraulan 404 DOT4 (BASF)
TOTAL HBF4 OEM+
Applying general standards such as FMVSS, DOT3/DOT4 is NOT sufficient to use.
What specifications should I be looking for? I can't get hold of Mazda genuine and am wondering if Ravenol DOT 4 LV is sufficient.

Recent Mazdas in some market are fitted with a mild hybrid system utilising an ESP/brake by wire system and the service manual states to strictly use 'Mazda Genuine Brake Fluid or equivalent' which is DOT 3.

I have found the following on Mazda forums:

What specifications should I be looking for? I can't get hold of Mazda genuine and am wondering if Ravenol DOT 4 LV is sufficient.
The interesting statement is:

Which other brake fluids listed as DOT3 or DOT4 are in accordance to FMVSS standards, which is a contradiction to that statement by itself.

The interesting statement is:

Which other brake fluids listed as DOT3 or DOT4 are in accordance to FMVSS standards, which is a contradiction to that statement by itself.
It sounds like Toyota and Honda’s advisory to use their own fluid years ago.

But brake fluid is commodized. Dow, BASF, Clariant and CCI supplying OEM and most aftermarket fill under different brands.

Thanks for the info all. I see Total HBF 4 OEM+ is approved by Mazda so I should just make sure what I get meets its specs, albeit DOT 4 not DOT 3:
  • FMVSS : FMVSS 116 DOT 4
  • ISO : ISO 4925 Class 4
  • SAE : SAE J1704 ,SAE J1703

Back