Increasing Head Gasket Longevity

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Besides using the properly speced engine coolant and keeping it fresh by not running it too long, and keeping the engine oil in good condition, what else might be done towards extending the life of a head gasket? I once read that sometimes the head bolts would be retorqued, but I've not heard of anyone doing that for years.

Ground straps need to be monitored and/or upgraded to high quality OFC braided cables, preferably with soldered ends.

Adding a “ground loop” upgrade to my Subies that connected to both frame rails, the alternator housing, intake manifold, and heads not only made starting quicker and easier, but also smoothed out the idle a little it seems.

I did this because I have early ‘00s EJ25s and internet wisdom claims failed grounds accelerated the galvanic corrosion that ate the HGs once the coolant became conductive. Not sure if that’s true, but it was an easy task and so far, no HG issues. @Trav does this line up with your knowledge?

Ground straps need to be monitored and/or upgraded to high quality OFC braided cables, preferably with soldered ends.

Adding a “ground loop” upgrade to my Subies that connected to both frame rails, the alternator housing, intake manifold, and heads not only made starting quicker and easier, but also smoothed out the idle a little it seems.

I did this because I have early ‘00s EJ25s and internet wisdom claims failed grounds accelerated the galvanic corrosion that ate the HGs once the coolant became conductive. Not sure if that’s true, but it was an easy task and so far, no HG issues. @Trav does this line up with your knowledge?

Now you're just messing with the OP. :ROFLMAO:

Besides using the properly speced engine coolant and keeping it fresh by not running it too long, and keeping the engine oil in good condition, what else might be done towards extending the life of a head gasket? I once read that sometimes the head bolts would be retorqued, but I've not heard of anyone doing that for years.
The single most thing you can do to extend HG life is don't let the engine overheat.

Do not use stop-leak products in coolant. They WILL clog the radiator, the engine WILL overheat, you WILL need a new head gasket. Racing Beat issued strong warnings about never using those products in rotary Mazdas for that very reason.

Change your coolant as specified. Rust in the cooling system WILL clog radiators.

A radiator with a leak or other failure needs to be replaced, not nursed. Bite the bullet. Replace it. Get 'er done.

Certain engines are prone to having water pump impellers wear over the miles to the point that they can no longer circulate the coolant. Be aware of this. The earlier Ford DOHC Duratec V-6s are one example. Later versions had a gear-driven water pump in the engine that could send coolant into the oil system if it failed, and other manufacturers have adopted similar designs.

Depends on the car. In Subarus and Priuses, it’s a design fault. Subaru EJ2xxs are naturally a “flexy” block made worse with open deck. The block/head interface moves with combustion events, especially under boost and it scrubs away at the gasket. If I have to do a BHG on a Subaru, it’s gonna be a Fel-Pro MLS with laser-shaped sealing beads.

The 3rd and 4th gen Prius is the classic Toyota BHG culprit - undertorqued head bolts just like a 7M-GE/GTE in a late 80s-early 90s Supra/Cressida but the EGR system has more of an effect on the #2/3 cylinders than the 1/4 pair. In effect, there’s a difference of temps on the block deck and that causes the head gasket to fail. Similar issue on the 2AZ-FE, bolts lose clamping force due to failed block threads, like a Northstar.

May I suggest.. RMI-25? I have heard you can leave it in.

MLS head gaskets were mentioned, I would believe in most instances that would be the way to go (if they needed to be replaced.) Just ensure perfectly flat mating surfaces though that should be the case on any HG work.

As to longevity? I'd say.. Clean coolant, proper coolant type (Universal Antifreeze very may well be a lie,) keep it clean eliminates need for flushes.

Depends on the car. In Subarus and Priuses, it’s a design fault.
I think that is the big one. Outside of required maintenance, just don’t buy problem childs. Or accept that the problem will have an issue someday, put aside some cash for that day, and motor on.

Its a mechanical item, there is nothing that won’t have some sort of problem, if driven/owned long enough.

Ground straps are very important with Subaru engines as I have posted before these tend to break at both heads, I also add one at the rear of the engine to firewall. Without the strap the coolant eventually becomes like an electrolyte and corrodes the deck, head under the gasket and all internal passages. Good grounds and changing the coolant on time are helpful in preventing this in all vehicles especially all aluminum ones. This explains the issues with Subaru but it is applicable to others.

Part 2

Are head gaskets a real common thing ?

I just had to do a head gasket on one of my vehicles but that was because the head corroded and started to leak oil.

Do not use stop-leak products in coolant.

GM put the Bars Leaks tablets (consisting of ground up ginger root) into the cooling system from the factory for many years. Shop manuals from the 80s and maybe the 90s direct you to add "seal tabs" (Bars Leaks tablets sold under the AC Delco name) to the cooling system when changing the coolant.

61XW0TBsLiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Don't overheat. Don't buy a Subaru, or some turbocharged Fords (engine specific) made in a certain rage of years before they fixed the block (unless block has been replaced already, then it's good). I'm sure that there are a LOT more vehicles with head gasket issues that I can't think of right now. But as far as I can tell, if you keep a vehicle long enough you are probably going to need a head gasket anyway. Even if it's a head gasket replacement because you had to get to something else. It's best that you learn how to replace head gaskets yourself. I've done it. It was only "difficult" because I had never done it before.

Yup, heat is your worst enemy. Do a coolant flush every 3 or 4 years.
Use high quality motor oil that can withstand heat.
Keep up with all services or maintenances. And don't neglect the little things like pcv valve replacement.

Back