In the hunt for a good, reliable, used 4x4 ATV.

View attachment 160848
just pulled this from craigslist the ruff ones were around 3k.
What area are you in? That looks identical to mine condition-wise and I paid $2100. Several in my area listed that are in the range I mentioned, with the most expensive one being a $4k garage queen that was never used. The person selling that one is off their rocker.

I personally find that polaris gets a bad reputation but frankly they get beaten on so much that I dont believe it is a fair comparison. We are pleased with our 2012 500.

I personally find that polaris gets a bad reputation but frankly they get beaten on so much that I dont believe it is a fair comparison. We are pleased with our 2012 500.
Polaris makes good bikes, their weakness in the bearing seal in the knuckle. if you run in mud and water they last about two hunting seasons.

My fiancé owns a 2005 Honda Rancher 400 automatic that she bought used in 2009 that was low miles and like new and that thing has been beat to death and has never failed. Her older son wrecked it once and dropped it out of the back of his truck on the highway once and it still keeps on going. I think the transmission is finally starting to slip a little but it's been very reliable. I own a 2014 Rancher 420 automatic that I bought new and it's been very reliable as well with nothing going wrong so far. I prefer Honda ATV's but that is just me.

Revisiting this thread, been on a hiatus but back in the hunt.

I agree my initial price cap is a far-fetched idea for a decent machine.

I have been looking at IRS than a solid rear axle but not a deal breaker. I keep coming back to the Grizzly 450 for it's IRS and size, not too big for trails and a decent mid-size frame.

The early-2000 Sportsman 500 does look promising. What is up with the Grizzly 600-660, did they have any known issues that can really break the bank with repairs? I've seen a few of them at a decent price. The old Honda's I like, but agreed the prices are high...the King Quad is also nice and I don't mind the size.

I appreciate all the help when I started this thread. I guess under $4K should get me quite a bit, closer to $2500-3K is more realistic.

I don't mind buying new, but for what I want to do, used is fine, and I really don't want another big purchase right now..lol.

The early Polaris quads had ball joints problems that caused many people to crash and get hurt. I saw 2 myself. Something that just does not happen to the Japanese quads.

The engines were antiquated and underpowered. I bought my wife a 2013 330 Polaris and it was miserable to ride due to it's lack of power. A 250 cc Japanese quad could run circles around it.

Since the '80s I've owned Suzuki, Honda and Canam 4x4 quads. They were all trouble-free.

I have a Yamaha Grizzly 660 and a Yamaha Bear Tracker 250, the 250 is more fun to ride! The Grizzly being 4 wheel drive and a LOT heavier does work well for plowing snow and other work, but the Bear Tracker has good power and has pulled many deer out of the woods and does well pulling stuff around the yard.

Back