In the hunt for a good, reliable, used 4x4 ATV.

Looking for a 2nd ATV so I can go riding with the kid(s). We currently have a 2WD Grizzly 125 which is fine for now, but for some ATV parks I want something capable enough to get back out if I need to pull one...lol...thinking worst case.

So obviously budget plays a big role, and prices are all over the place. Hard to go wrong with a Foreman but, would like to stay under $1500 and that's going to be a tough find.

I'm not partial to any one brand, some years were better that others brand to brand.

Pretty much looking for 4WD and reliability, and don't mind well-kept older models if parts are still avail.

I've been around outdoor power equipment for decades but not well versed on what ATV's to look for and avoid.

All input greatly appreciated.

Man, ATV´s have gotten so huge. I´m a big fan of the 250 ATV size, which there is none on the market, like the older 90´s Suzuki King Quads.

I think you need to go by condition and not by brand. A good reliable brand that has been thrashed is no value.
Polaris tends to get thrashed. I like the older geared ATVs like Suzuki that has a super low gear.
I would avoid sport ATVs, like the Yamaha raptor.

I agree a 250 would be fine, the Kawasaki Bayou 250 4x4 is one on the radar. That being said, a 300-400cc is more than welcome and has been my primary search criteria. The Bayou 250 is just one that would fit the bill being a 250, despite being a smaller unit.

I don't have much experience with any other brands but so far happy with my old 2000 Polaris Magnum 500. Has enough power to make me an organ doner and heavy enough that it does a great job pushing snow.

It's relatively simple and quite rugged. The Fuji engine runs strong and has electric and pull start.

I should add that I'm looking for one more suited for trail riding. Decent amount of suspension travel, able to navigate the rocky trails many ATV parks seem to have.

I should add that I'm looking for one more suited for trail riding. Decent amount of suspension travel, able to navigate the rocky trails many ATV parks seem to have.
Not a kingquad 250 or 300 then, I have a 2001 and it will rock crawl very well with a super low range and lockable front diff, but the suspension has like 3" of travel so going fast(ish) is sketchy...
Maybe a 2000's Arctic Cat 250, 300, 400 they use suzuki drivetrains, but their own chassis and longer travel suspension. $1500 seems to be used chinese junk territory these days so it will be hard to find something desirable in good shape. I think the japanese 4 all carry parts for decades but I rarely have to buy any, and maybe check for a specific model before you buy.

I have a 1995 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4. Super reliable, capable, and comfortable. Also the perfect size for trails.

I will say that unfortunately $1500 won't buy you much of anything in my area, even 2WD. Maybe a 2WD older sport quad. Prices are insane now.

frankly unless youre buying something that you plan on working on all the time, buy new. even the old 300 hondas are $4000, clean. thats most of the way to a new rancher.

Agree with my buds above. $1500 will buy a repair around here. The prices on all levels has been insane. I paid $10K for my '21 Brute Force 750 and they went up over a grand a few months later. I think they're $11.5 now.

If you can swing it, a new Rancher would be the way to go. Honda's aren't the fastest on Earth, but are rock solid reliable. I have a '01 400EX that's been modded a bit and my wife's Rancher ES was bought new in '03 - it's like an Ant on the black diamond trails in NH.

I've typically owned Honda and Yamaha ATVs.
It's tough to beat a Honda in to 300-400cc range for reliability. Yamahas are pretty tough as well.
Another one to consider is a Kawasaki Prairie 300 4x4.
A good friend of mine has one and I've ridden with him many times. It won't win any races, but it's been reliable and will go through just about anything!

frankly unless youre buying something that you plan on working on all the time, buy new. even the old 300 hondas are $4000, clean. thats most of the way to a new rancher.
I've been seeing good 300 4x4s for 2500-3500 in my area. And that is for clean machines with good tires, which I think is a decent deal. There is one that is 4000 but it is basically brand new with very low hours. I would have a hard time paying 10 grand for something with the way I ride. :LOL:

I've been seeing good 300 4x4s for 2500-3500 in my area. And that is for clean machines with good tires, which I think is a decent deal. There is one that is 4000 but it is basically brand new with very low hours. I would have a hard time paying 10 grand for something with the way I ride. :LOL:
a new rancher is around 6k. not 10k.

7k from 4k is 3k, 7k from 10k is 3k. so its the exact same distance from number to the other. I'm not paying anywhere close to 4k for a twenty year old bike. back before the internet those were 1k bikes at most. craigslist and cheap credit has driven the price of everything to crazy levels.

The Grizzly 660s were reliable, doubt you'll be able to find a decent one for 1500 though.
I would never buy a used 4x4 with aftermarket tires or snorkels though, sure sign of mudbogging it.

7k from 4k is 3k, 7k from 10k is 3k. so its the exact same distance from number to the other. I'm not paying anywhere close to 4k for a twenty year old bike. back before the internet those were 1k bikes at most. craigslist and cheap credit has driven the price of everything to crazy levels.
4k is for a mint one, probably the most mint one I've seen. I paid $2100 for mine two years ago with very low hours and a snow plow. I was simply stating I don't think paying 7k-10k for a new machine would suit my needs any better, and likely not the OP either. If you think $7k is a better deal for what you want that's great, but since I read the original post where budget was a factor, suggesting he go buy a brand new machine seemed kind of silly.

1686588213357.png

just pulled this from craigslist the ruff ones were around 3k.

Back