In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you and know they're watching. Hopefully the patents I have will prove useful. Thank you, and best regards!

Awesome! Thank you for thoughts on the the price point! Shark Tank would be great, but it seems they really prefer you to have some sales first before they really consider partnering. It may be in my future though:)

It would be nice to have some attractive margins. Sixty percent above the cost to build would be nice and would get the sharks attention on the show. Made in the USA is a selling point that can help justify attractive margins. Many on here support built in the US as well. Having two years of sales of around 200k with patents in place will also get their interest. Having some large orders in place before appearing on the show is another positive. Selling them on QVC via the Shark Tank is another idea for down the road.

I would really love too get to that point. One of the main challenges I'm facing now is figuring out what customers feel they would be willing to pay mainly because of what the domestic manufacturers I've spoken with want to charge per unit. Of course that varies depending on quantity, but even without amortizing the tooling costs and other expenses, I would still have to charge quite a bit more than conventional stands just to break even, granted that my stands are better in every way. But yeah, definitely, I would love get onto the Tank and do a demo right there in front of them. I have a feeling they would ultimately require that I manufacture overseas though.

That's great! I appreciate that! I've been curious about QVC so I'm going to go ahead and subscribe, and I think I could actually pitch the idea in less than 12 minutes. If I remember correctly, I believe there's a connection between one of the Sharks and QVC. Laurie I think.

Last edited:
I really appreciate this! The hockey puck might be a great addition to the stands, or at least something along similar lines. It looks like the material, even if cut thinner, would be durable enough to endure repeated use. I've used whole pucks once or twice in the past on top of a jack saddle back when I had to lift my car under the engine and they worked nicely.

I have a lot of respect for USJack since they're still building their stands domestically. If I remember correctly, they're one of maybe two that still do. A while ago I had the privilege of speaking with their product manager, and though I can't say I've used their products yet, he was a great person to speak with and I thank you for reminding me about them. They might be worth revisiting.

Can't thank you enough for your help!

I like the concept. I was looking for something that did this when I bought my jack-stands.

What I don't like is the use of pins. I generally use my (Michelin brand) jack stands on the lowest setting (ie no pin engaged) so there's one less thing to fail.

What I'd suggest instead is a 2 part stand with a low part (that you slide under with the jack) that then sits on a higher part that you put under once the vehicle has been raised. There would have to be a provision to adjust/raise the high part too, but in basic mode the unit would be metal on metal, with no pins required. Without thinking about it a lot, the high part could be U-shaped (in top view) to allow the jack to disengage.

Unfortunately this product would have to remain relatively low cost, around $100 for 4. And that would be a challenge.

I have been using 3" round stock solid blocks of aluminum on top of my jack for years. These stands look like the coolest thing to (possibly) come to a home garage since the aluminum jack that can be carried with one hand. Made in USA sounds great also. I have no objection to the pins; they are in double shear when loaded and necessary for height adjustment. The only thing I can think of that would stop me from purchasing (if they would come to market) would be cost. For what it's worth, I think I paid $79-89 for my jack...It's been so long ago I honestly don't remember...price range of $100 or so per pair sounds reasonable. Good Luck!!!

PS: To me, the REAL question about price is; what is it worth to the guy laying under the car to feel safe and confident while he strains with all his might (and maybe some extra leverage) against a stubborn fastener? What price is that warm fuzzy worth?

What a great compliment, and thank you so much for saying so! You are dead on about the pins too. They are in double sheer for each leg, and when you consider there are two legs per stand, each leg is ideally supporting half the weight of whatever the stand is, so the pins are not nearly under as much stress as opposed to what might initially be perceived.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the pricepoint! Your last point was one I considered too when I started to build the thing. I think I was almost concerned as much for my car as for my self at the time lol, but after our kids were born it definitely became more about personal safety.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
price range of $100 or so per pair sounds reasonable.

I like that price point, or $99.95 which looks better.
smile.gif

What a nice idea! A puck to stop metal to metal contact would be a positive for such a high end market appeal product and it would be the icing on the cake.

I very much appreciate the compliment, and your input! I've had a few ideas of how that padding can be implemented, and when it debuts I think everyone will be pleased with it! Thank you again!

How do they work ? Does the center piece go onto the floor jack then and once the car is lifted, the stand's legs slide into the center piece on each side of the floor jack ?

Outstanding product.
I visit so many car forums where people complain that it is difficult to find both a jacking point and jack stand point together (I jacked it up, now there is nowhere to insert the stand). Because your product will work with low clearance vehicles will be a hit with both the enthusiast and us "lower class" shade tree mechanics.

U.S. made and reasonable cost would be a grand slam, IMO. The more you can stay below $150/pair is reasonable for many. On the other hand, the Jack Point stands at $300+ EACH is simply out of reach for most DIYers: http://shop.jackpointjackstands.com/

Venture Development
In Michigan, our Land Grant University, MSU, has a very successful venture development program to assist entrepreneurs getting their product off to a start: http://productcenter.msu.edu/about

http://productcenter.msu.edu/uploads/files/Product_Center_Fact_Sheet_2015_revised_10-5-2015.pdf

"The Product Center stimulates and develops business innovation and economic growth through business counseling, in-depth market analysis and technical assistance for new entrepreneurs and existing businesses. The use of best practices, knowledge and experience along with collaboration from internal MSU and external partners supports clients in the creation of successful ventures."

Contact the University of Florida to see what they offer. Getting assistance from multiple sources will help you avoid possible pitfalls. https://www.eng.ufl.edu/flexstation/innovation/technology-commercialization/

I wish you the best success! I wish to place the first order!!

EDIT - I would test them on a less than perfect concrete floor to see how they work (i.e., jack not rolling well on a rough, spalled concrete floor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back