Improving Windows Update in May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks and will have to see if I have the download tool. Am hoping they still offering the free download.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Richie
I have W7 pro at home and we just started using W10 at work. W10 seems to be pretty efficient and have considered upgrading to W10 at home. Not sure if there is a W10 pro to replace W7 pro

Yes, Windows 10 Pro is a direct replacement for Windows 7 Pro. You just download the Download Tool and you can perform an in-place upgrade.

Thanks and will have to see if I have the download tool. Am hoping they still offering the free download.

I have W7 pro at home and we just started using W10 at work. W10 seems to be pretty efficient and have considered upgrading to W10 at home. Not sure if there is a W10 pro to replace W7 pro

Yes, Windows 10 Pro is a direct replacement for Windows 7 Pro. You just download the Download Tool and you can perform an in-place upgrade.

They do.

Download tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

thank you

They do.

Download tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

You are quite welcome
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by barryh
My laptop is set to a metered connection permanently which stops automatic updates. I don't have the disc space for bloated updates and prefer to re-install windows 10 once a year.

I don't understand this. At all.

A minimal amount of housekeeping is all that's needed to make sure windows 10 stays lean. In nearly 4 years stability has never been an issue for me.

The yearly reinstall from the windows 95 days is an absolute waste of time now.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
They do.

But how do you get a license to upgrade Win 7 to Win 10? Apparently, this isn't a free update to Win 10 like it was originally offered by Microsoft.

They were still giving a Digital License less than a month ago when I upgraded a laptop I was given to Win 10. I'd clone Win 7 to an external HDD and try Win 10, when you click on Activation it will show it is activated via a digital license. If it doesn't you can always restore Win 7 from the external HDD. I've upgraded a few PCs and Laptops from Win 7&8 to Win 10 since Jan 1 w/o issue.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
They do.

But how do you get a license to upgrade Win 7 to Win 10? Apparently, this isn't a free update to Win 10 like it was originally offered by Microsoft.

It's free still, it doesn't ask you for a key during the install, it just "works".

Also, you can still install 10 with a Windows 7 product key. Microsoft REALLY wants to get people off the old OS's.

OVERKILL, you are a wealth of info. I consider you my Candian IT helpdesk.
08.gif

I had a Windows 7 refurb computer that a family member allowed someone to remote in. I could not find a way to install 7 again, but had 10 Pro free license from another computer. I popped in the hard drive from the other computer and Microsoft said I just needed to install version the computer had which was Home. Did a fresh install and is running 10 Home without issue.

It's free still, it doesn't ask you for a key during the install, it just "works".

In my experience, this only works on computers that have digital product key embedded in the BIOS.
These are generally computers that came with Windows 8 or 8.1 from the OEM.

Also, you can still install 10 with a Windows 7 product key.

Yes, Windows 7 product keys have worked for me too.
I have a laptop where the product key sticker was worn off the bottom, I had to call Microsoft support and ask them to activate it. While that call was a bit time-consuming they did finally provide a secret activation code after asking questions and viewing the computer on a remote control session.

Yep I acquired a NOS HP desktop computer from 2013, brand new in the box.

Gave it to my brother it had a windows 7 pro key sticker on it, and it was downgraded to XP.

Booted it from a windows 10 key and installed pro, worked fine using the key on the sticker.

core i5, 12gb ram, wd blue disk. Runs great.

Originally Posted by BearZDefect

In my experience, this only works on computers that have digital product key embedded in the BIOS.
These are generally computers that came with Windows 8 or 8.1 from the OEM.

Also, you can still install 10 with a Windows 7 product key.

Yes, Windows 7 product keys have worked for me too.
I have a laptop where the product key sticker was worn off the bottom, I had to call Microsoft support and ask them to activate it. While that call was a bit time-consuming they did finally provide a secret activation code after asking questions and viewing the computer on a remote control session.

In the context of what was being discussed, which was to use the download tool to upgrade an existing Windows 7 install, there is no prompt for a key. I've done it on a pile of Windows 7 boxes, many of which were far too old to have an embedded key. If you are doing a fresh install? Then yes, you won't be prompted if it has an embedded key, and if it doesn't, and you have a Windows 7 COA, you can just use the key from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back