Impressions on Camaro VS Mustang V8

Originally Posted by dwcopple

or maybe you'll realize how limited the visability is in that car and end up hating it...

This is very possible. I didnt mind it on a 20 min test drive but i can spend hours in it this weekend. They also have some nice looking mustang GT premium in coupe and convertible at very good prices. Assuming i can find one that doesnt seem abused.

So Hertz couldn't get the Camaro out in time for the weekend, so I went to test a new LT1 automatic. The 10 speed is really good, but I think if I buy a Camaro it has to be the 6 speed manual. The Camaro is simply much more hardcore of a car than the mustang so I think you go manual on the Camaro. While at Hertz not getting my Camaro rental as promised I tested their rental GT premiums in coupe and convertible. Very compelling prices and only 20-25k miles on 2019 models. The mustang is much more relax and have fun cruising around car so I'm leaning that way. The added visibility is really nice.

Originally Posted by dareo
So Hertz couldn't get the Camaro out in time for the weekend, so I went to test a new LT1 automatic. The 10 speed is really good, but I think if I buy a Camaro it has to be the 6 speed manual. The Camaro is simply much more hardcore of a car than the mustang so I think you go manual on the Camaro. While at Hertz not getting my Camaro rental as promised I tested their rental GT premiums in coupe and convertible. Very compelling prices and only 20-25k miles on 2019 models. The mustang is much more relax and have fun cruising around car so I'm leaning that way. The added visibility is really nice.

Attaboy. Mustang FTW!

Attaboy. Mustang FTW!

Another reason I bought the Mustang was the standard suspension rides nice with the 18" wheels and is a good car for trips and daily transportation.

The only Mustang GT I considered was the Premium with the Performance Package. It was decent, but more research revealed that it needed more work to be track ready- so hard pass.

Originally Posted by MCompact
The only Mustang GT I considered was the Premium with the Performance Package. It was decent, but more research revealed that it needed more work to be track ready- so hard pass.
I'd wager you are in the extreme minority with actual track use of that car.

At the time I was needing a track capable car as I was instructing at HPDEs on a frequent basis. I was surprised that the so-called "Performance Package" didn't make the car suitable for track use- and neither does the "Performance Package II," (which still requires the customer to add an oil cooler to the differential so that the car car can complete more than one hot lap without the diff overheating).

Originally Posted by Silverado12

Attaboy. Mustang FTW!

Another reason I bought the Mustang was the standard suspension rides nice with the 18" wheels and is a good car for trips and daily transportation.

Actually I'm thinking about buying a base Mustang GT for my wife. I want the 18" wheels because the extra sidewall helps improve ride quality.

Did Ford ever resolve the 5.0 engine tick ?

I drove a new SS last year and while it had good power, the automatic transmission seemed to hunt for gears too much. The visibility still sucked from when I last drove one in 2013. The ride was very nice.

I'm not a Ford person but I still enjoy my 14 Mustang GT and think it's better looking than this new generation one. It's fast enough for me and the automatic trans works very well. Visibility is way better than the Camaro and I've taken a bunch of long distance trips in it and its pretty comfortable.

My 5.0 has never had the engine tick that some of these have. I'm still running 5W-20 Motorcraft in it and it seems to work fine.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Actually I'm thinking about buying a base Mustang GT for my wife. I want the 18" wheels because the extra sidewall helps improve ride quality.

The engines are a bit noiser than an GM small block, on every single one i looked at. Check out the Hertz Rental fleet for some really good deals on Mustangs. They typically get the GT Premium package but with only the 18" wheels, blind spot package, heated/cooled seats, and they are going cheap. Like 28k or less for 2019 20-30k miles. If your willing to accept rental car use for that year of time you save a ton.

I'm a GM guy and the Camaro's are nice . But ford did a better job with the Mustang all around better for everyday use. Ford has let a bad taste in some owners mouth over the BBQ Tick issue. Hopefully they get it straightened out smh

Originally Posted by wtd
I'm not a Ford person but I still enjoy my 14 Mustang GT and think it's better looking than this new generation one.

I completely agree. The rear of the roof line was cut down too much, and from the windshield forward it looks too wide for the rest of the car on the current model. The previous model was way nicer looking...

The coyote 5.0 lacks low end torque...the Camaro's V-8s don't have that problem...

Originally Posted by grampi
The coyote 5.0 lacks low end torque...the Camaro's V-8s don't have that problem...

I would love a mustang premium coupe with a 6.2 gm v8 and the tr6060 manual. Visibility, torque, shift quality, all in one.

I would love a mustang premium coupe with a 6.2 gm v8 and the tr6060 manual. Visibility, torque, shift quality, all in one.

Why not just deal with the lack of visibility and go with the Camaro? The Mustang just has too many negatives for me...I don't really care about either, I'm going for a Corvette...

I may go look at an SS convertible 6 speed. Then i could have a little better visibility top down and still enjoy the proper V8 and quality manual.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Attaboy. Mustang FTW!

I have a GT Premium with the base 18" wheels and I'm glad I got it that way. It has a decent ride.

My 2018 has a slight tick but supposedly it's nothing to worry about. I may get it looked at towards the end of the warranty but for now it's barely audible. IMO not too many people would even notice it if it weren't for the internet.

Why not just deal with the lack of visibility and go with the Camaro? The Mustang just has too many negatives for me...I don't really care about either, I'm going for a Corvette...

I haven't noticed a lack of torque, but my car has the 10 speed auto which seems to put it in the correct rpm range at all times. It will get up and go when I mash the gas.

I haven't noticed a lack of torque, but my car has the 10 speed auto which seems to put it in the correct rpm range at all times. It will get up and go when I mash the gas.

The 18 redesign of the 5.0 with the dual injection "fixed" it. Look at a dyno chart for the 18+ - there is plenty of torque available from about 1500 RPMs. The 6 speed gets better the more it's broken in and the car is a blast to drive. Short or long trip, it's just comfortable. And with the active exhaust it can be LOUD or quiet.

Last edited:
Back