Impressions on Camaro VS Mustang V8

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I definitely prefer the Mustang. How are the standard trannys on the current ones?

It felt like a front wheel drive transmission and not one from Honda. Mustang shift quality was better than my Golf 5 speed but not by a lot. After testing the Camaro's excellent gearbox i simply can't consider an MT Mustang. Fortunately the automatics in both the 6 speed and 10 speed are quite good. If you HAVE to have a stick shift the camaro is the bees knees as far as shift quality. I didn't notice throttle lag at all on the camaro, granted i was used to driving a Golf that did have a small amount of throttle lag. Most modern drive by wire has lag for emissions reasons.

I don't think i would want to take a long trip in either Mustang or Camaro. Luckily, we have a Regal TourX Essense for any long trips, and that thing is great at that. So i'd just be that typical car guy who buys a new [american muscle] and puts very low miles on it and washes it too much.

If the only aspect of the Mustang that's a deal killer for you is the shifter, change the shifter. The process is super easy.
Unfortunately, I too found the interior of the Camaro full of blocked sight lines. Couldn't see traffic lights. Basically looking at sun visor for upper half of vision.
Still want one.

Yeah i don't like the idea of buying a brand new car and tearing into the shifter for upgrades. A skip shift eliminator add on is one thing but to have to re-engineer the whole assembly is asking too much. It seems the used market does not favorably price the mustangs 2011+ that are stick. Auto mustangs sell for more and are less often for sale. It's a car where the manual just isn't better or more enjoyable in my opinion.

I've said it before: if the car is REALLY powerful, in my view, buy the automatic. The interuption in forward thrust, so frequently, required with a close-ratio (particularly) manual gets to be a drag. And I REALLY like manuals (4 of my 6 cars have them) and I'm really fussy re shift quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
It seems the used market does not favorably price the mustangs 2011+ that are stick. Auto mustangs sell for more and are less often for sale. It's a car where the manual just isn't better or more enjoyable in my opinion.

That's because everyone knows the China built mt-82 is junk in the Mustang. A huge mistake on their part not selling it with the tr-6060 except in the Shelby Mustangs.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Both of these cars are favorites of mine to rent. Remember, at times (prior to the current economy) I rented as many as 3 cars per week. Often for 4-7 hour highway trips, both in the South East, and North East.

The Camaro SS has some serious "throttle by wire" lag, programming and timing issues. There are tunes that help to address this problem, but they can't fix it completely. The best that can be said is there is a 50% improvement in throttle behavior. It's particularly bad with the automatic, and getting any sort of sporty performance (fast, but not full power) out of it is often impossible. It either goes slow, or, all out. I find it infuriating, and I'm not alone on that one.

The APPS & the Throttle Blade can be made/tuned to be linear to each other, But other feature of the vehicle need to be disabled like Launch Control & Traction Control.

I have over 100 hours of tuning in a 1972 Cutlass with a 2017 LT1/8L90E out of a Camaro 2SS. It's locked in "Sport Mode" for now to reduce the overwhelming number of table modifications in BOTH the ECM & TCM.

Almost hesitant to take on a stock Gen 6 Camaro with the BCM & ABS modules in the mix! Wish there was an easy way to tune them.

Originally Posted by E150GT
Camaro? Yuck. Gm really needs to hire some designers

That's what I say about the current Mustang. They ruined the looks. They cut down the rear of the roof line way too much, and the front end from the windshield forward looks too wide for the rest of the car...the Camaro is leaps and bounds better looking...

I can't believe GM is still putting that stupid skip-shift in their manually equipped vehicles...that thing is such a PITA...

I rented a 2019 Mustang GT convertible last year and I loved it. I don't know how the Camaro SS is in comparison, but many reviewers say the interior is cramped in the camaro. The Mustang was just easy to drive, it took about 2 seconds to get familiar with it and it seemed to just fit like a glove thruthfully. I'd have no qualms with daily driving a S550 Gen Mustang.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I definitely prefer the Mustang. How are the standard trannys on the current ones?

Not bad. It does shift better once you get the miles on it. I still get a notchy/balky 3rd shift sometimes but I think it will loosen up over some more time. I'm at 13k so there's some more breaking in to do. Still love rowing my own gears even if both me and the machine are not the fastest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by itguy08
Still love rowing my own gears.

Me too! A standard is the only way to go!

A Camaro or Mustang without a V8 and a manual is a crime against nature- about as bad as a Miata with just two pedals...

Originally Posted by MCompact
A Camaro or Mustang without a V8 and a manual is a crime against nature- about as bad as a Miata with just two pedals...

It's not the same & you know it
lol.gif
Torque Converters are awesome when you have Torque to convert
thumbsup2.gif
I have a buddy with a 2002 WS6....Cammed 6.0L & a T56 6 speed bolt action, It makes very similar power to my Camaro with a 3200 stall converter, I eat him up when we drag race or roll race.
We haven't tried auto cross yet, Still think I'd get him !!

Originally Posted by clinebarger

It's not the same & you know it
lol.gif
Torque Converters are awesome when you have Torque to convert
thumbsup2.gif
I have a buddy with a 2002 WS6....Cammed 6.0L & a T56 6 speed bolt action, It makes very similar power to my Camaro with a 3200 stall converter, I eat him up when we drag race or roll race.
We haven't tried auto cross yet, Still think I'd get him !!

Well, we've already established you are one of the best mechanics in the country, and we don't know your buddy's credentials as a driver, so I maintain that proves nothing without further information. I will give you automatics are more consistent. In my case, if my wife hadn't spent so much time and effort breaking me in, she would kick me to the curb if I showed up with an automatic Camaro or Corvette. Or any Ford product, for that matter. With the exception of a '57 T-Bird.

Last edited:
One of the best mechanics in the country.....Hardly! I got mentored by some Iron MEN that I'll never match in certain area's of this trade.

My buddy is pretty good on a bolt action, I'd need more seat time to knock the rust off to be as good as him. Torque Converter technology & efficiency has come a long way in the last 10 years. Where in the old days...They simply used 4/6 converter cylinder cores to make high stall converters.

Go-carts never have more than two pedals...
grin.gif

FWIW I've owned a 2018 GT Premium automatic for almost two years and really like it. I use it for long trips as it's still under warranty but I haven't had any problems at all with it. I'm 59 years old and am just getting tired of shifting gears so I probably won't own another manual transmission. Some of these new 6 speed manuals are annoying to shift anyways as first gear is too high and the other gears are spaced too close.

Will be taking rental delivery of an SS 10 speed camaro this weekend if they have it ready in time. Will drive for 2-3 days and see if i prefer the 10 speed or the slick manual. Maybe i will like it and get the chance to buy at screaming deal from the rental agency.

I'm fine with the 8HP in my F22, but in a ponycar or something like my ti I want three pedals.

Originally Posted by dareo
Will be taking rental delivery of an SS 10 speed camaro this weekend if they have it ready in time. Will drive for 2-3 days and see if i prefer the 10 speed or the slick manual. Maybe i will like it and get the chance to buy at screaming deal from the rental agency.

or maybe you'll realize how limited the visability is in that car and end up hating it...

Back