Important distinction

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
In OLDER Ford power steering pumps I found that Royal Purple ATF severely quieted the whining noise, a notorious trademark of Ford PS pumps.

WELL

I changed the fluid in the Expedition with M1 ATF. Then did it again a few weeks later.

Then a few weeks later, I did my sister's Explorer pump with Royal Purple and did the Expedition as well.

BIG MISTAKE.

It got LOUD (Expedition, Explorer got quieter)

REALLY loud.

Previously it made no noise.

Flushed with M1 ATF.

Got a bit quieter. Have performed this three times now and the noise is close to gone.

So there is obviously a notable difference between the early and current pumps.

I've used M1 ATF in my Fords for years and the PS pumps are very quiet and haven't had a failure.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I've used M1 ATF in my Fords for years and the PS pumps are very quiet and haven't had a failure.

Yes, I've been using it for about 7 years in my PS pumps, but got a case of RP for free, so tried it out. Worked well in the Lincoln and Explorer..... Not so well in the Expedition.

Fords here are currently specifying either a 75w-80/85 GL4 MTF or Tractor multifunctional fluid (75W-80/10W-30 GL4) in the PAS system and have done so since the nineties.

Last edited:
I used the RP in an '86 Ford and in a low-miles '05 F-150. The '86 (due for a change) had a notable changes in having considerably less buzz at full lock and a better power assist(historically I have changed the fluid at 30-40K intervals using type F). The '05 was not changed in any discernible way.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I used the RP in an '86 Ford and in a low-miles '05 F-150. The '86 (due for a change) had a notable changes in having considerably less buzz at full lock and a better power assist(historically I have changed the fluid at 30-40K intervals using type F). The '05 was not changed in any discernible way.

That was my experience with the older pumps as well. It appears as though the Expedition didn't like it though.

UPDATE:

I could never completely eliminate the noise, even with three more flushes with the M1 ATF. On start-up it was the most prominent; didn't matter if the start was hot or cold. And it would be the loudest just as you hit the gas.

SO, went and bought three bottles of Motorcraft Mercon V today from Ford.

Sucked the reservoir dry. Lock-to-lock to get the rest of it out.

Re-filled with Mercon V. Within 30 seconds the noise was COMPLETELY gone. It is now whisper quiet.

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. It works markedly better than even the M1 ATF here.

Did the Royal Purple have Mercon/Mercon V ratings...? I am debating whether I want to put Schaeffer's All-Trans or Motorcraft Mercon V (already bought the Motorcraft) in my power steering and transmission and am interested to hear your problems w/ the RP. Though Schaeffer's is a different product it sounds like the Ford PS units really like Motorcraft Mercon V...

Thicker the better. Put RP's synchromax in there.. it'll be quiet but when cold it's somewhat a workout. Neither one of our Ford's ps's make noise. Couldn't tell what's exactly in there though.. I think a frankenstein version of Merc V, ATF 4 and M1.

Originally Posted By: XJ1100
Did the Royal Purple have Mercon/Mercon V ratings...? I am debating whether I want to put Schaeffer's All-Trans or Motorcraft Mercon V (already bought the Motorcraft) in my power steering and transmission and am interested to hear your problems w/ the RP. Though Schaeffer's is a different product it sounds like the Ford PS units really like Motorcraft Mercon V...

It was the Mercon/Dex III stuff.

Mercon V seems to be vastly superior in this application.

The real teller will be my sister's Explorer which I will be doing later tonight. It's had M1 ATF and RP ATF in it, but the original fluid was SO black, it is still making noise. Both fluids made a difference, but it's still noisy. If the Mercon V quiets it, that pretty much seals it in my books.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Thicker the better. Put RP's synchromax in there.. it'll be quiet but when cold it's somewhat a workout. Neither one of our Ford's ps's make noise. Couldn't tell what's exactly in there though.. I think a frankenstein version of Merc V, ATF 4 and M1.

The RP fluid was thicker than the M1 fluid, and that's what caused the noise in the first place. Mercon V seems to be thinner than both of them......

Any thoughts on trying other oils to see if they do any good. It's for BITOG sake!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
UPDATE:

I could never completely eliminate the noise, even with three more flushes with the M1 ATF. On start-up it was the most prominent; didn't matter if the start was hot or cold. And it would be the loudest just as you hit the gas.

Re-filled with Mercon V. Within 30 seconds the noise was COMPLETELY gone. It is now whisper quiet.

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. It works markedly better than even the M1 ATF here.

I am a big fan of the new black bottle Motorcraft Mercon V. It has surprisingly good specs, even when compared to the newest M1 ATF.

I've used it with outstanding results, even in a 4R100.

UPDATE:

SO I went and bought three bottles of Motorcraft Mercon V today from Ford.

What did they charge you for the Mer V? Any reason you went to the dealer for this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
UPDATE:

SO I went and bought three bottles of Motorcraft Mercon V today from Ford.

What did they charge you for the Mer V? Any reason you went to the dealer for this?

Only place to buy Motorcraft in Canada, and I get a good price on it. It was $6.38/Litre.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
UPDATE:

I am a big fan of the new black bottle Motorcraft Mercon V. It has surprisingly good specs, even when compared to the newest M1 ATF.

I've used it with outstanding results, even in a 4R100.

Well, I'm loving it in these PS pumps, so I may give it a try in the tranny!

I assume you can't mix it with standard Mercon, so I'll get it flushed.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL[/quote

Only place to buy Motorcraft in Canada, and I get a good price on it. It was $6.38/Litre.

Motorcraft in the Black bottle is made by Petro-Canada. I buy Esso Mercon V for $3.99L. I think it's as good or better. It's all made to Ford Spec's anyway...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Only place to buy Motorcraft in Canada, and I get a good price on it. It was $6.38/Litre. [/quote

Motorcraft in the Black bottle is made by Petro-Canada. I buy Esso Mercon V for $3.99L. I think it's as good or better. It's all made to Ford Spec's anyway...

Good to know! Thanks.

Overkill: Glad your problem is solved but I didn't make it clear in my earlier post but I used RP's Max EZ PS fluid in the '86 and the '05. I suspect that with success achieved on Mercon V (a good oil), you won't want to experiment again (don't blame ya!) but I just wanted to clarify my earlier post.

BTW: I find it very easy to disconnect the PS return line on both trucks, feed it into a bucket and after plugging the open end at the reservoir, doing a total PS fluid change/flush. You need a helper and you gotta have several open quarts of fluid handy 'cause it will chug-a-lug pretty fast. Both trucks have PS coolers down on the chassis where I can easily do this. The '05 has a fin-and-and tube type oil cooler and the '86 a large, oval loop of metal line.

BBTW: I have also installed Magnefine filters on both PS systems. I took before and after oil samples and will eventually publish the results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

The RP fluid was thicker than the M1 fluid, and that's what caused the noise in the first place. Mercon V seems to be thinner than both of them......

There mostly likely is a difference in ps pumps. Wouldn't think there'd be much of one but I guess so. I can't remember what I did to get my 00 F150 ps's to stop whining been to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back