Gear whine after rear diff fluid change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed out the Supertech with Amsoil Sever Gear. It quieted it down a little, but it did not eliminate it. Really tho, the noise isn't that loud, it's just noticeable.

A side note is that I only had about 700 miles on the Supertech, and it was a cloudy gray when I drained it. I guess it flushed out the rest of the buildup from the original oil fill.

I'm not worried about a failure tho, because I don't drive the vehicle hard, so I'm sure it will be fine. $37 bux for 2 quarts of that Amsoil oil tho. It's expensive stuff!

Our 02 Explorer whines too, I've researched it and it seems normal for many of these vehicles and unless you do a full rebuild it won't go away.

I just bought two quarts of Supertech 75W-140 to do a change in mine but have held off because I have an axle seal leaking so I want to change that first. I might go in and have a look while I'm under there.

Yeah, the new clean fluid will leak even worse.

BTW, there's a TSB on that diff that requires an extra 8oz of fluid after the fill hole. That means you can just put in 2 quarts at the ABS sensor hole and call it done.

Best of luck.

Originally Posted By: midnightlaundry
I have a 2002 Explorer with an independent rear differential. I replaced the original fluid with Supertech 75W-140. Now I get a little gear while. It's not super loud, but it's noticeable now.

Even tho the grade is the same on paper, do you think a name brand would eliminate the whine? Valvoline SynPower, Mobil-1 and Royal Purple Max Gear are readily available where I live. These all have the friction modifier already in the bottle. I had to add a bottle of the Ford XL-3 with the Supertech.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is that a limited slip differential?

If yes, did you add the LS friction modifier? If no, that could cause the rear end noise.

LSA is so the clutch packs in the diff don't chatter when going around corners. It has nothing to do with the lubrication of the gears. But yes, I did with the Supertech. The Amsoil has LSA already in it.

Last edited:
The Limited slip additive isn't necessary either.. I don't run any in my F150 with the ford factory clutch pack diff. It works just fine and actually gives you better locker performance for off road. Very rarely will I even notice any kind of "chatter" when turning sharp.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
The Limited slip additive isn't necessary either.. I don't run any in my F150 with the ford factory clutch pack diff. It works just fine and actually gives you better locker performance for off road. Very rarely will I even notice any kind of "chatter" when turning sharp.

Probably because a lot of modern gear oils already have the limited slip additive included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back