Import Multi-Vehicle ATF or Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I foresee a lot of discussions cropping up in these forums linked to AAP's current $4 Castrol Trans Fluid sale...

Holding price constant, is there any advantage to running Import Multi-Vehicle over Mercon V in a Ford application? I know the Import Multi-Vehicle carries a higher VI, meets Mercon V specs, and normally carries a higher price tag than Mercon V. Is one transmission fluid superior to the other? Or are we just splitting hairs?

For reference, here are the tech sheets on each:

Mercon V: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...pds_MerconV.pdf

Import Multi-Vehicle: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...ds_ImportMV.pdf

Last edited:
I use multi-vehicle trans (MaxLife) in my F150 calling for Merc V all good.

Mercon-V if it a Ford.

Import really works great on Japanese imports -- I have used Castrol IMV ATF and it is better than OEM, shift quality is great and holds up pretty well. A great alternative to Japanese OEM fluids, but then IMV ATF is not cheap, so I just buy OEM for peace of mind.

The viscosity is the difference. If your car calls for MerconV that is what you want.

^ Even if Ford has licensed and approved IMV?

Bear in mind, M1 full synthetic ATF also carries a higher VI, and is also certified for Mercon V. I do not think VI tells the whole story.

Last edited:
Viscosity is more important than VI, IMO, when determining MerconV applicability. IMV doesn't meet that viscosity spec requirement.

EDIT: And yes, I actually happen to be running Castrol IMV in my MerconV Escape ATX. I had extra I needed to get rid of. I wouldn't do it again by choice of buying new fluids.

Last edited:
^ How has your experience been? What makes you not want to choose it?

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
^ How has your experience been? What makes you not want to choose it?

It is thicker. Not a huge deal but it is minutely perceptible to me, especially in this crazy cold weather lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back