I'm trying Squirt chain lube - I like it so far

I've used Squirt and it worked well but didn't seem to last for me. I'm easy on chains since I'm a slow rider and in the flat lands of eastern NC.

I put about 4k on a chain before it needs to be changed. My cassette doesn't show much wear from what I can see. This is on an 11sp with Shimano 105.

I have been using AMSOIL's chain lube for the past 10k miles and I like it. Seems to last longer than Squirt. Just my observations.

Been pretty happy with this,
1622637600176.jpg

motul offroad spray....neon yellow. not a dirt magnet ;)
onroad version is dirt magnet, likely fast motobikes needs tacky stuff not to fly off.

Just replaced the chain on my CAAD10. It had a broken side plate. There was no measured wear, or stretch. It was nine years old. I replaced my chain, and cassette. I got my monies worth out of both. I will continue using Squirt.

Hello:

I've been using T9 Boeshield for 15 or 20 years. I think it works well but it cakes, probably from me over oiling.

I'm a follower of Lennard Zinn and he mentioned he uses Squirt. I was putting on a new chain and thought I'd try something new. Being a hardcore, powerful rider I replace chains every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Doing this saves me from burning up $450 Campy Record cassettes!

Follow the instructions. Chain has to be 100% stripped clean. Even the factory lube must be cleaned off. I soak and agitate the chain for a few day in a glass jar filled with mineral spirits, then I blow it dry with compressed air.

Anyway, I like the way the drivetrain feels and shifts. I've got about 150 miles on the new chain so far and lube and it's still smooth and quiet as day 1.

FWIW,

Scott
I have used Squirt for a week now. I love the way it applied and the way it feels, but after this week of fairly intense and long riding hours, it looks spent and it nothing but sticky. I will now follow instructions and apply more without cleaning and stripping. So I will keep it at "inconclusive" for now.

PS A little awkward, I have not used (the newer) Amsoil chain lube on a bicycle. I will try it next.

Squirt is my all time fav chain lube. Tested great for friction reduction, and my butt dyno comfirms that.
Update, my 9 year old chain died due to a broken side plate. There were also numerous other side plates cracked. The LBS put a chain gage on it. It wasn't stretched after all that time. I like Squirt!

... I can see how wax would be better though and I'm thinking of making the switch. Its going to be paraffin wax to start and see how that works. ...
Wax is a good chain lube, for both low friction / high efficiency and for durability. Typically, the mix is mostly paraffin with some PTFE and Xylene or alcohol. However, the drawback is you need to re-wax the chain something like every 100 - 200 miles. Doing this typically requires removing the chain from the bike. No big deal, but the typical quick-link connectors are single use, though they only cost a few bucks.

Those of you who use wax, do you simply replace the quick links, or do you have a reusable quick-link?

Hello:

I've been using T9 Boeshield for 15 or 20 years. I think it works well but it cakes, probably from me over oiling.

I'm a follower of Lennard Zinn and he mentioned he uses Squirt. I was putting on a new chain and thought I'd try something new. Being a hardcore, powerful rider I replace chains every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Doing this saves me from burning up $450 Campy Record cassettes!

Follow the instructions. Chain has to be 100% stripped clean. Even the factory lube must be cleaned off. I soak and agitate the chain for a few day in a glass jar filled with mineral spirits, then I blow it dry with compressed air.

Anyway, I like the way the drivetrain feels and shifts. I've got about 150 miles on the new chain so far and lube and it's still smooth and quiet as day 1.

FWIW,

Scott
My go-to for years.

Wax is a good chain lube, for both low friction / high efficiency and for durability. Typically, the mix is mostly paraffin with some PTFE and Xylene or alcohol. However, the drawback is you need to re-wax the chain something like every 100 - 200 miles. Doing this typically requires removing the chain from the bike. No big deal, but the typical quick-link connectors are single use, though they only cost a few bucks.

Those of you who use wax, do you simply replace the quick links, or do you have a reusable quick-link?
I've been considering giving wax a try. One thing that's holding me off is knowing I'll have to remove the chain every 200 miles or so to properly clean and re-wax it. Any chain waxers out there care to give tips on how they do this? Do you keep a set of spare quick-link connectors and use a new one each time?

Currently I don't have to do this. I lube with chainsaw bar & chain oil and clean the chain every month or 400-500 miles, using a Park chain scrubber. This means I never have to remove the chain from the bike, except when replacing it after it wears out.

Back