My Review of Boeshield T9 Chain Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
I have used it - and liked it. I have since learned about Dumonde Tech Lite - which has an almost cult like following. I like it better because after several uses, it builds up a long lasting, quiet coat of protection.
Ditto! Smooth, quiet, great shifting, and no chain stretch/wear.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Thanks to the advice here, I've been using it on my homemade Ti bicycle. The chain I'm currently running is at the end of it's life and the Boeshield T9 is working well enough. It's cleaner than Triflow, and other oils. And it seems to keep the chain dirt free.

I've had to re-lube the chain twice so far, but I ride every day and often in the rain.

I can't wait to try it on a new chain.

Well, the verdict is in. I don't like Boeshield as a bicycle chain lube. The waxy coating does trap sand in it. And the coating is exceedingly difficult to remove, even in a parts cleaner. Takes a brass wire brush to remove the coating.

So, while it works and is cleaner than TriFlow, I prefer my homebrew mixture of GT-85 and Bel-Ray or Spectro "super clean" motorcycle chain lube (The super clean is just zinc without oil)

Runs clean and does not attract dirt.

Last edited:
Cujet,

I hate to be the one to say "I told you so", but refer to page 1, my 2nd post clarifying my 1st:

Originally Posted By: cchase
I will elaborate. In the past I sold this product to customers. At later points they brought their bikes in for tune-ups, which included cleaning the bike. IF they actually used the product they purchased, which most said they had been, then it makes a mess if it gets on anything. It would form a film on primarily the chainstays, but basically anywhere they put the stuff that was like trying to remove PAINT to get off the bike.

Again and as you mentioned, the performance of the product is excellent. BUT, it makes a mess that is a real nightmare to get off - traditional degreasers wouldn't touch the stuff.

It's rare that I get the chance to quote myself from months ago. And as a part time bicycle mechanic, I've seen what a menace Boeshield T9 can be.

With that said, I bought some to put on all my tools after seeing the performance at preventing rust on a gun forum. You couldn't pay me to put the stuff on my bikes though.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Cujet,

I hate to be the one to say "I told you so", but refer to page 1, my 2nd post clarifying my 1st:

Agreed, it's awful to remove after it sets up. Carb cleaner does not touch it. Nor does parts washer fluid (kerosene) or gasoline, or spray degreaser, or...

I always use T9 on my bike chain and don't understand the problem. If you follow directions including let it set up as well as wiping off the excess these contamination issues don't exist.

I'm a bit puzzled myself...as stated earlier, there is a coating on some of my tools but that is because I put it there to dry. I haven't tried to remove it yet.

On the bike, there is none on my chainwheels nor rear sprockets because I carefully applied one-drop-at-a-time only on the chain joints then allowed it to dry overnight before use.

With that said, I CAN see how you could make a mess with the stuff if you sprayed it around where it didn't need to be i.e.: bike frame, etc.

Evidently, it's quite capable of forming a strong bond with steel, which I see as a good thing.

The biggest issue (aside from making a mess) with Boeshield as a chain lubricant is that it builds up in the chain itself which eventually causes the chain to become clogged and stiff.

You may think you apply it properly (and let's assume you are using the non-aerosol version) but even if you apply 2 drops to each roller and wipe the chain down after, lube eventually finds itself everywhere - on every cog and every chainring.

You can either take my advice, which is borne from experience in the bike industry, or ignore it. As I mentioned previously, I'm even using it on my own tools to prevent rust. The bottom line is that there are lubricants that work just as well and don't make such a mess.

I'm guessing that would require quite a few applications to "cause the chain to become clogged and stiff." My chain might get one lube per year, but that's only if it needs it as I don't ride in the rain...at all.

As you previously stated, underlubed is better than overlubed.

You have your experience. I have mine. I'm not going to fight, nor argue about it. Life's too short. It's not worth it.

Moving on . . . . . . . . .

I think a lot comes down to the mileage and use you're putting on the bike, as well. Some people ride in far dustier, dirtier, muddier, colder, wetter, etc conditions than others, and that can have a huge impact on what ends up being on the chain.

Some people use 3-in-1 oil on chains and swear by it. I made that mistake once.

My point is that everyone has different preferences for chain lube, and that's fine by me. My only intent was to warn others about the downsides of Boeshield as a chain lube.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back