I'm shook (Fram sells oil now?)

OK then I don’t understand marketing. Thanks for that content free reply. Not that you explained this is a win either unless you think rebadged Carquest oil for $6.49 a quart on a shelf is a sales bonanza for AAP.

OK then I don’t understand marketing. Thanks for that content free reply. Not that you explained this is a win either unless you think rebadged Carquest oil for $6.49 a quart on a shelf is a sales bonanza for AAP.
Because the oil is cheaper per bottle/jug than the big brands right next to it on the shelf. So the more they sell, the more money they likely make, compared to Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc.

Now instead of choosing between $9.95/qt for Mobil 1 and "Carquest" oil, consumers can choose between Mobil 1 and Fram. Fram is a recognizable brand in it's own right - not just a house brand.

Same reason AutoZone started selling "STP" oil. Same reason Wal-Mart oil is branded as SuperTech instead of Sam's Choice.

I know a couple of Latino mechanics. Their customers want 10w-40 in everything. They often run straight water in their radiators, too. I guess it worked in the “old country”, so they keep doing it here.
They haven't been exposed to the Green Cult...yet. Couple of years down the road, they'll want their toenails done on a weekly basis...

Because the oil is cheaper per bottle/jug than the big brands right next to it on the shelf. So the more they sell, the more money they likely make, compared to Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc.

Now instead of choosing between $9.95/qt for Mobil 1 and "Carquest" oil, consumers can choose between Mobil 1 and Fram. Fram is a recognizable brand in it's own right - not just a house brand.

Same reason AutoZone started selling "STP" oil. Same reason Wal-Mart oil is branded as SuperTech instead of Sam's Choice.

100%

Obviously anybody who pays $6.49/quart for “Fram” Amalie oil doesn’t spend much time here! I’m still waiting for AAP to bring back the Ultra filters, maybe this oil will help that along. Or maybe they’ll just start making, er, branding, “Purolator” oil instead! Leaks as fast as their “Die Hard” overpriced JCI batteries will!

I’m still waiting for AAP to bring back the Ultra filters, maybe this oil will help that along.

AAP does in fact sell Ultra filters, they are under the name Fram Titanium and they do have some minor upgrades. I have used a few on my Hyundai with good results:

AAP does in fact sell Ultra filters, they are under the name Fram Titanium and they do have some minor upgrades. I have used a few on my Hyundai with good results:

I said that wrong, I meant “Ultras for under $14.99”, unlike the Titaniums.

elvis.jpg

I said that wrong, I meant “Ultras for under $14.99”, unlike the Titaniums.

We are on a website who's membership in large part consists of people who are brutally cheap and go out of their way to get the lowest price on many products they buy, in fact this site even has a dedicated sub-forum for just that purpose.

If you or anyone else is not aware of the fact that AAP is a retailer that operates under a strategy of offering products at a higher than average retail price while simultaneously offering discounts, discount coupons, and other promotional discount programs... I don't know what to tell you.

The two Fram Titanium filters I purchased were for $5.74 and $7.86, even the Great Walmart of China is not touching those OTD prices.

Back