I'm ready to try Neutra-tried just about everything else

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried a bunch of products since coming here and now I want to try Neutra in the gas and in the oil. I'd like to try Schaeffer oil too eventually.

Anyone have a large stash that they would be willing to sell me a few bottles? I've been meaning to order some but I never seem to get around to it. I can Paypal you or send you a money order.

I've tried seafoam in the gas tank and in the crankcase, decent results, but too expensive IMO. Not something I would put into a transmission.

I've tried Marvel Mystery oil in the gas and in the crankcase. Not sure of any benefits using it in the oil, I believe I've seen some improvements in engine smoothness when used in the gas, but this is butt dyno, not anything measured or clearly quantifyable.

Chemtool, Gumout Regane, Fuel Power, Techron, Lucas UCL and other fuel injector/fuel system cleaners. All good results IMO. I will continue using all/any of them.

Lube control, can't say for sure, but I would continue using it based on recommendations and experiences of the people at BITOG.

Tried synthetic oils and came to the conclusion that synthetic is just too expensive to be worth it to me. If I drove expensive, newer vehicles then I wouldn't quibble about the cost and would use synthetics, but all of the cars that my family and I drive cost around $4,000 and IMO don't warrant using synthetic. I don't see spending 3 times as much for synthetic oil, I'd rather just change dino every 4 or 5 thousand miles and have clean oil in the engine more often.

My new philosophy is to buy low mileage, previously owned vehicles in tip top condition, drive them for 1-3 years max and then sell them for whatever I can get. My cost of ownership per year should run less than $1,200/year excluding gas and oil. Not too many car payments for $100/month that I know of.

Finally, ARX. I was hesitant, mostly because of the price, I didn't want to pay that much for an "additive". Ive had very good results. Tried it on several vehicles with the same results each time, smoother, quieter running engines with more pep and better acceleration. Also put ARX in the trans of my '96 Olds minivan. Trans shifts smooth, wouldn't hesitate to use it again in a trans.

neutra is supposedly pretty good, I've been using it in the tank every now and then at 16 oz/ 11 gallons gas.... to keep the piston tops clean, I don't see much difference but my engine is running 100% rich so...

also tried it once at 1oz per qt in the crank case to clean it up, not sure if it did or not cause I don't want to replace a valve cover gasket to check but seems fairly clean through the fill hole.... currently 250 miles into another run, will drain and fill with an hdeo to clean up a little more for a while.

the problem with neutra is it's cheap, but the problem also is it's very hard to get by the gallon without being told "we normally only sell by the box, and a box has 4 gallons"

sometimes local distributors will break you off a gallon and sell it to you, some won't.

Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly was wrong with your car in the first place? I like Neutra but it's not going to fix what isn't broken.
dunno.gif

i have used Neutra in the tank and in the cranbkcase as a quick flush 250 miles or so. Works fine.

I sort of disagree with your philosophy on car buying. I agree with you on buying a 2-4 yr old low mileage car for cheapest depreciation, insurance and taxes, however, I say the cheapest from that point is to keep them until they drop because everything lse you buy will lose value and you are without the cash ( used to keep repurchasing)(lost the use of the funds) by upgrqading every few years. run them until they drop to get full value out of the car. The cost of repairs is almost always worth it compared to purchasing another vehicle IMO

I'd like to try the Neutra for fuel system cleaning/maintenance and to see what kind of benefits it has in the oil as far as cleaning. Nothing "broke", just interested in having a smooth running engine.

As far as my philosophy, here's an example, just bought a mint condition 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville with 88,000 miles. Paid exactly $4,000 including tax, title, tag etc. The car looks new, drives smooth and runs great. I figure I can drive it for 20k-30k miles and sell it for around $3,000. If I don't have to do any repairs, my cost is about $1,000 to drive it for a year or two, then on to the next older mint condition car. Next one I buy will have lower miles though. I'll be looking for one with 50k-60k on it.

Right now I have 4 cars and I want to try Neutra to see if it does anything better than Techron, Fuel Power, Regane etc. I'll continue to use ARX in each car I get and if Neutra does a good job cleaning in the crankcase then I'll use it too.

If you've run all that through your tank, you can't possibly need anything else. Unless you want to try combustion chamber cleaning with chemtool or doing a "molasoak."

I guess I wasn't clear.

I never said I was having problems. I said I wanted to try Neutra to see what it would do. This is an automotive discussion board, I was trying to have a discussion and find out what folks might have to say about Neutra, I wasn't soliciting help for a problem and I never stated any symptoms of a problem.

I've tried all of the products that I mentioned, but not on THIS car, I just got it a couple of days ago.

I've tried all of the products that I listed on several of my small fleet of cars over the past year or so. Now I want to try Neutra, that's all I was saying.

I currently have 5 vehicles (one is disappearing soon) and I just got rid of two others. That's a lot of cars to experiment on. I've purchased 5 cars in the last 6 months. It's becoming a hobby.

Some folks are obsessed with elves or Mobil 1, I'm into additives. I've had some good results and I'll continue to try new products that I think may have benefits. Neutra is next on the list.

Neutra works, in both applications. It will clean a lot of junk out of your engine on a flush, and is great at keeping engines running smooth. I don't get a mileage increase that I can tell from using it, but I believe it in and use it in about everything we own, be it gas or diesel powered.

Anecdotal evidence to the rescue. I found a local supplier of Neutra 131 in 12 oz bottles for $3 per in New Orleans and I pick up six or so when I'm passing through what's left of the area. I have used it as a crankcase flush in my HM Asian 4 banger fleet with apparent good results. I now use LC20 on a regular basis for a routine oil additive. Of course, all of this after a completed double ARX treatment on all vehicles. I primarily use Neutra mixed with FP60 along the lines of the well regarded Molabrew (3/1 - FP/N) in each tank in all vehicles at 1 oz per 5 gallons. Smoother idle, easier starts, better acceleration. Can't comment on MPG gains, if any, since the speedo/odo's on two of them are long gone.
shocked.gif
Like you, I do not use synthetic but recently have gone with a mix of HDEO's including Rotella and Castrol Tection. I have also tried some of the OTC adds as well. The new '06 Mz3 gets MC 5W20 factory fill blend until 5k or so and then maybe PennPlat or M1 if I'm feeling sassy with LC20 and a 5K OCI. Warranty issues prevent longer OCI. The 3 gets the FP/N brew from the first tank. It will also get a ATF change out to MerconV approved M1 Universal ATF at 5k. All straight BITOG orthodoxy from my best guess. I'm satisfied.

StogieDude, I've used Red Line SI-1, Fuel Power 60, Lucas UCL, MMO, and Neutra 131 ... and while I thought Red Line SI-1 was the best for a quick clean-up, I felt Neutra was the best product for continued/ongoing use.

I used it in fuel injected cars, carbureted outdoor power equipment and everything in between.

Just a gut feeling, but it seems to be able to clean and lubricate the fuel system better than any other product.

For flushing out crankcases, I only used 1-2 ounces in a 4 - 5 crankcase and leave it in for 100 or more miles. I'm not big on aggressive flushing.

--- Bror Jace

FWIW, I know every one is scared of harsh solvents but I had about 4 ounces in my car for about 1k miles with no real change in the cleanliness of the internals. I think Bob's 12 for 500 miles prescription may be on target.

Check the schaeffer's website and find a local dealer. Myself I found one in my own town and bought a case of 20 12 ounce bottles for $40.

Any local Schaeffer's dealers in the Tampabay area?

I'm in Pinellas County-St. Pete/Clearwater area. I'm looking to develop a relationship with a Schaeffer's dealer.

If their oil is less than Mobil 1 and other premium oils I'd like to try it. If it's a lot more than Quality dino that I can get locally in stores then probably not. I just don't want to pay big bucks for oil. I'll pay more $ for a quality product, but $4-$5 a quart like Mobil 1 is just more than I want to spend on oil.

Neutra for sure though. I can see using it regularly in my gas like FP if it works as well as I think it does based on all the positive comments I've read here.

If I can't find anyone locally then I'll just break down and order from one of the BITOG site sponsors. I would think that someone would have contacted me based on this thread.

quote:

I know every one is scared of harsh solvents but I had about 4 ounces in my car for about 1k miles with no real change in the cleanliness

odd, it's an ester based cleaner just like Auto-Rx.. does ARX contain solvents too?

stogie - go to their website and email them, they will have a dealer in your area call you.

it's about $16 a gallon give or take, thats if the dealer wnats to remove one from the box

It's not JUST like arx but similar. I'm not an arx kool-aid drinker (I have a case of Neutra out back right now) but there is a difference. Use of the term solvent is a sematic issue that has been debated here many times.

Please, Karbon, I invite you to spend some time roaming through the archive. Many of these questions and issues have been answered and debated several, several times over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back