ILSAC GF-6A & API SP

Amazon recently showed the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 with the new ILSAC GF-6A and API SP rating on their website. I bought a 5-qt jug and the oil I received had the old SN+ rating with a manufacturing date code of Jan. 2020. Not totally unexpected since the new specs didn't become official until May 1, 2020.

Has anyone been able to buy oil with the new ratings?

Originally Posted by turnbowm
Amazon recently showed the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 with the new ILSAC GF-6A and API SP rating on their website. I bought a 5-qt jug and the oil I received had the old SN+ rating with a manufacturing date code of Jan. 2020. Not totally unexpected since the new specs didn't become official until May 1, 2020.

Has anyone been able to buy oil with the new ratings?

You can return it.
Online buyers are going to be involved in hit & miss opportunities, when SP is shown online and one receives SN Plus, for quite a while yet. Webpage updates don't always reflect or mirror current inventory.

If you must have SP / GF6 right away, then go to a brick & mortar store to find it.

I ordered Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife from Walmart.com last week for 11.13 for 5 quarts expecting to get GF5 but got a surprise and got 2 jugs of newer spec. It states new formula on front. For what it's worth the website showed older spec. Either one would be nice for the Caravan when time to change just wish single qts would go on sale as it takes 6 qts.

2018 Grand Caravan
16700 miles

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BLND1
Amazon - return it as incorrect product. Easy

I could return it but there's no way of knowing if the new oil is available at ANY store. PUP is as scarce as hens' teeth and the new formulation may not be available until existing inventories are depleted. Oil change must be done in the next few weeks for warranty sake.

I just bought a 5qt jug of PUP 5w-30 at walmart with a manufacture date of May 18, 2020 and it says GF-6A on the label.

I can get API SP/ GF6 Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in 5 quart jugs and 1 quart bottles at my local Wal Mart. I can also get Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30 in the 5 quart jug but not in the single quarts yet. Everything else is SN Plus/ GF5. I'm waiting for my local Kendall distributor to get the new 5w-30 Max with LiquiTek.

Good to know consumers are receiving the new spec oils finally. None of the Walmart stores around me have the new spec oil in their shelves yet, and there are a bunch of Walmarts around me.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Good to know consumers are receiving the new spec oils finally. None of the Walmart stores around me have the new spec oil in their shelves yet, and there are a bunch of Walmarts around me.

I wouldn't say an old stock bottle means the old product. It just means your not sure wants in it. Most of the stuff dated 2020 likely is the newer product. January is kind of on the cusp.

Back