If you want to see what a NOS Boss 429 battery looks like

1694408454478.jpg

New old stock can command a premium to an originalist car guy who wants every screw head, fastener, sticker, etc., to be as authentic as possible. I’ve read an article about a restorer (Corvette) who even included overspray paint in some places to emulate the factory slop on the paint.

Is this battery going to sell at that price? Not a chance!

There are companies that sell replicas that will meet the requirements of 99% of restoration owners. They offer this type, old tar top style batteries, etc. The batteries are modern batteries with the old time appearance.

Would it sell at $1,000? I’d bet someone would splash the cash then. Some have to have originality. 😎

Looking at the top of the linked page there is an autolite battery top that would look great on a restored '64 to '73 Mustang, Fairlane, Cougar, Comet etc. By comparison it's cheap at only $44.95. Not as good as that NOS battery but almost as good for 0.18% of the cost. And you could put acid in the battery. Seems there is a big cost for perfection.

I've always wondered why the battery manufacturers in the USA switched from individual cell caps like on this 1974 battery to the ganged vent caps used on modern batteries. It seems like the switch happened in the late 70s to early 80s. The ganged vent caps seem to have some flame-arresting feature on them (they have baffles inside), maybe they are "safer" and prevent leakage of electrolyte a little better?

I've always wondered why the battery manufacturers in the USA switched from individual cell caps like on this 1974 battery to the ganged vent caps used on modern batteries. It seems like the switch happened in the late 70s to early 80s. The ganged vent caps seem to have some flame-arresting feature on them (they have baffles inside), maybe they are "safer" and prevent leakage of electrolyte a little better?
I don't know but sure doesn't make them last any longer

There's probably a few of these batteries sitting in some abandoned dealership, auto parts store, or mechanic shop somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Back