If you live in Michigan please read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't buy gas on Friday, if everybody does it they'll be forced to sell it for 50 cents a gallon!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
I call I94 the Michigan Speedway. Its pedal to the metal (especially EB after evening rush hour).

As for passing on the right, its not illegal, and if you are not moving over to the curb lane, I'll pass you on the right as well, since, as you noticed, the hammer lane is usually bumper to bumper. If you do leave a safe following distance, somebody jumps into it, so the tendency is to stay bumper to bumper. Its an interesting place to drive through.
Did you experience the coming to a dead stop from 80+ mph for no reason what so ever? I really love that Detroit area trait.

Alex.

Let me rephrase this...
I was in the "curb" lane..a guy was starting to pass me in the "hammer" lane...another jerk-off, thought the guy in the "hammer" lane was going under 100mph..so he jumped behind me then passed me in the "emergency" lane instead of waiting for the guy in the "hammer" lane to pass me.

Thanks for the heads up...80mph to complete stop...for no reason..wow..I don't know how you guys do it everyday.

It's a fake. We went through this same nonsense back in January 2006.

The only thing remotely true is that Canton PD will step up seat belt enforcement this month.

^ There are grants (DOT?) to hire an officer/ pay OT for a specific traffic enforcing purpose... seat belts, OUI etc.

One can stay out of a lot of trouble if they look for patterns and don't drive like a bozo when the bars are getting out or on holiday weekends.

Quote:
These trucks have specially modified engines that can virtually catapult the truck from snow-plow speed to intercept speed in seconds.

This is the part that makes me suspicious. Why would they do that. Just use a radio and have the trooper FOLLOW the big truck. Don't need to spend big money on the modified engine, use the truck as-is and use it to block the view of the trooper following.

The lead truck has a radio, gets the tag number, the trailer patrol car runs the tag and then makes the stop.

No need to spend big bucks on special trucks. I call Bovine Scatology.

Are you sure about the lack of paperwork fines?
In Illinois, we have the chance to prove in court the we indeed had insurance, or a driver's license at the time of the 'bust'.

Originally Posted By: xlt4me
Your good friend should get the internet...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2009/03/...at-any-rate.htm

Originally Posted By: urbanlegends.about.com
An email warning Michigan drivers to beware of state troopers masquerading as DOT truck drivers to catch highway speeders is a hoax, State Police officials say.

Hoax or not, of course they'd say that. They don't want people being careful, because that way they won't get their money.

think monster truck!

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
... These trucks have specially modified engines that can virtually catapult the truck from snow-plow speed to intercept speed in seconds. And when the engine boost kicks in, the warning lights automatically change from flashing yellow to the dreaded red and blue!...
Too funny!!

Originally Posted By: GeaugaFletcher
So a dump/plow weighs about 10,000 pounds, right? What kind of engine are we talking to get one of those things to move like the tall-tale describes...?

Maybe they make a plywood version of those as part of the modification package, to lighten the load on the modified engine.

Or maybe they could make inflatable dump trucks. Just like in WWII, they had inflatables and wooden covers. The inflatables were used to make the enemy think you were one place, and the wooden covers made tanks look like trucks.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
I call I94 the Michigan Speedway. Its pedal to the metal (especially EB after evening rush hour).

My friends from Chicago call Detroit the "black hole", because traffic seems to go faster the closer they get to Detroit.

Many drive I96 in Detroit at 80 mph. Near downtown it drops from 70 to a 55 limit, but people will still go 70. I was going 70 in that 55 and a Detroit cop passed me. But look out, while Detroit cops apparently don't pull folks over on the freeways in Detroit, the State cops definitely do. I also cool it in Livonia, as the Livonia cops seem to set up along I96. Worst place in Livonia (for Kestas) is Middlebelt Road bet I96 and Plymouth Road. The cops sit in the old Ford plant driveway and nail people rushing to Walmart.

Good thing I rarely go to WalMart!

Livonia was the first city PD in the country to get a laser detector around 12 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Good thing I rarely go to WalMart!

Livonia was the first city PD in the country to get a laser detector around 12 years ago.
Oh sorry, I didn't see the connection. Sort of implies you go to walmart. Should've said Target.
grin2.gif

hey tallpaul I have not seen the trooper in the median on 275 and livonia for few weeks now.
dang loks like livonia is as ticket hungry as farmington hills.

Oh yeah, Farmington Hills is bad news. Every now and then I have to take Inkster Road up to Norhwestern Highway from Redford. Most of that road through Farmington Hills is 35 mph and I have seen cops along the way. I don't mess with speeding there and traffic will line up behind me, but too many cops.

The past couple of days I've seen cops at the I275/I96/M14 interchange and Jeffries in Livonia. They're always out when the weather turns nice. And it makes sense... when the weather turns nice, people have this feel good mentality and tend to "open it up" with the gas pedal.

With money getting tight - including our local PDs - they can always enhance their revenue by stepping up their enforcement. Watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back