If you have never used your spare tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's dark, snowing, raining, family in the car, full of stuff. How do you get the spare tire out or lowered? You just hit a pot hole, instant flat no tire pressure warning either. Where are all the tools, jack, lug nut lock? Has the pressure ever been checked. And in the case of GM suv's and trucks there is a safety catch in case of a cable break. You will not be able to lower the spare because the latch has corroded and no matter what you are screwed by the side of the road. It needs to be lowered and lubed every year or two. Even without that issue, practice, practice and check in the garage, not stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a dead cell phone battery. A 12 volt air pump might help, but with all the pot holes that probably won't bail you out because you put a 1 in. hole it the sidewall.

Because of the difficulty of accessing the spare on a Dodge/Chrysler mini-van with Stow-n-Go seating, I always lower and check mine before a long trip. Probably should check it every three or four months.

The wife and two kids were on a trip to see family (600 miles away). She must have gotten something in the tire. There was not much air loss while driving, but as soon as she stopped for gas, the tire quickly deflated. It was night time. She called me in a panic. I was just getting off work, an hour away from home. She was about 4 hrs away.
Luckily, she was able to get the spare lowered and mounted, but it was low. I was able to locate a truck stop on-line when I got home. They were able to get the tire repaired while she and the kids had dinner. She was not a happy woman!

Originally Posted By: Traction
It's dark, snowing, raining, family in the car, full of stuff. How do you get the spare tire out or lowered? You just hit a pot hole, instant flat no tire pressure warning either. Where are all the tools, jack, lug nut lock? Has the pressure ever been checked. And in the case of GM suv's and trucks there is a safety catch in case of a cable break. You will not be able to lower the spare because the latch has corroded and no matter what you are screwed by the side of the road. It needs to be lowered and lubed every year or two. Even without that issue, practice, practice and check in the garage, not stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a dead cell phone battery. A 12 volt air pump might help, but with all the pot holes that probably won't bail you out because you put a 1 in. hole it the sidewall.

I rust proof my vehicle, so every fall I actually remove the spare tire from my Sienna and check the tire pressure while it's out. I have them spray the rust check treatment on the cable.

I also carry a portable cigarette 12 v tire inflator in the back as well as a long breaker bar with a 21 mm socket attached. I'm ready if and when I get a flat.

Regards, JC.

When I buy a used car, one of the things on my list is to go trough a tire change with the onboard tooling. This lets me know where the tools are, that they are in good shape, and I am trained to know what to expect on the side of the road.

Glad my new car does not have one, nothing to worry about. I get a can of fix-a-flat, an air compressor and a prayer.

I couldn't use a spare if I wanted to, they don't fir over my front calipers.

And to make it even better, unless maintained, the wheel will be corroded to the hub, which is impossible to kick off with no air in the tire. Took me 45 min. to get the wheels off a F150 a couple days ago frozen to the hub because they hadn't been rotated for a long time, with lug nuts a socket would no longer fit on tightened to like 300 ft lb.

I check the air pressure in my spare tire when I add washer fluid because it's right there. The scissor jack is over-engineered and should be reliable for a century or so of heavy use. I've greased the threads on the screws that hold both the tire and jack in place. It'll be fine.

Hello, I may have mentioned this before....if I did, sorry.

One day while doing tires on the family's vehicles I asked the woman of the house next door if she wanted me to check the spare in their workhorse Corolla.

She said, "Sure, if you want to", with all the detachment a European can bring to an interchange.
NOTE: I too am of European decent. These people are very nice. It's just that Europeans frequently keep to themselves.
Anyway, the tire was dead out of air. I filled it.

Later in the day, the husband came by and thanked me profusely. He knew the score. Kira

As much as I hate TPMS in regular tires on the car(I'm very lucky to have no TPMS in all my cars), I think it's useful in spare tire.

Not many people remember to check spare tire pressure at least once a year. After several years, when you need it the pressure is way below minimum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Nah, we'll be fiiiiiiine.

Good luck in the dark.https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AsvQOjd_mSGtX3NVZj_7xvWbvZx4?p=2014+subaru+forester+spare+tire&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=ApBGWjJ_sQbe.qHB6wuIog.bvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=2014%20subaru%20forester%20spare%20tire

Being as I live in the RV Capital of the U.S. with all their sq. head screws falling out, then to its also a huge Amish area and horses loose shows and nails.

I check my spare every month or two.

Use the flashlight and replace the tire. If your car is well maintained this should be pretty darn easy, it's not like your serp belt broke and you don't have a tool for it.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Use the flashlight and replace the tire. If your car is well maintained this should be pretty darn easy, it's not like your serp belt broke and you don't have a tool for it.

I agree, it should be easy. I'm referring to 90% of the people that don't even know they have a spare, and it would be a great help to someone trying to help them if the had a clue as to where the stuff is to even change it for them. I can't even figure it out sometimes, with a lowering screw hidden under who knows where. If they have a owners manual at least you have a chance. Too many secret compartments to find on the fly.

I agree, it should be easy. I'm referring to 90% of the people that don't even know they have a spare......

I think if you cannot find the spare, or worse yet, don't know if you HAVE a spare, you either need not drive, or deserve getting stuck when your tire goes out. You should always know at least the basics of the vehicle your driving. There is no excuse not to. It's really not that hard.

Mine is in the back of my Jeep. Easy to get to, easy to take out, and I check the pressure every month or so. I also have a shoe box full of tools I might need. The jack and other stuff are under the seat.
thumbsup2.gif

And to make it even better, unless maintained, the wheel will be corroded to the hub, which is impossible to kick off with no air in the tire. Took me 45 min. to get the wheels off a F150 a couple days ago frozen to the hub ...

My employer has a bunch of Ford Ranger pickups, a couple F150s and an E250 van.

The Rangers ALWAYS have wheels corroded to the hub. The fronts usually aren't too bad since you can just keep turning the wheel and whacking it with a sledgehammer. But the rears, since the vehicle is in Park, are tough! I've had co-workers reduced to tears because they couldn't get the rear wheels off when they're flat. Grown men, these.

The F150s have a ratcheting mechanism to raise/lower the spare tire under the truck, that is cranked by a hex-head thing on the lugwrench. Unfortunately, the hex is always corroded or packed with hardened, dried mud, and access to it is almost impossible. Completely worthless. Its better to just store the tire in the pickup bed.

The E250 van has big, eight-lug wheels, which require something like a 21 or 22-mm socket. The lugwrench that comes from Ford has the right size hex on it but its much too shallow to fit over the long lug threads! You need the correct deep socket and a breaker bar to remove the lugnuts; either that or call a tow truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back