Donut spare tire & tire Sealants

I found an OE steel Durango wheel at the junk yard for $10 and had a fullsize tire mounted and balanced. $125 investment total, piece of mind to replace the temp spare.
I did something similar when I had my Neon. I had some flexibility with the wheel since it was 5x100 and a common hub, pretty sure I ended up with a VW steel wheel. I also found a Neon SRT ACR spare tire cover since it had carpet edges rather than being a piece of carpeted cardboard to accommodate the increased height of the full size tire over the donut.

I got a fresh donut when ordering from Maxxis for my HR-V. I think the old one was made by Continental.

Had to use the old spare when out of town on a Sunday and rode 300 miles or so on it.

https://shop.maxxis.com/products/compact-spare-tire?variant=40406598746247

The Honda HR-V (2016-2022) only has room for a full sized spare on the models which don’t have AWD.

Since I don’t want a repeat of the last time there was an issue, I bought a 5th full sized tire which is kept strapped down in the back if going out of town.

IMG_0032.jpeg

When I had new tires put on my car, I kept two of the best old ones in case I ever had a flat.

Less than 5K miles later hit a pothole near my house and knew it wasn’t going to be good. I could hear air hissing out. Next morning put the donut on, put rim/tire in trunk, one of the old tires in backseat, went to town fair tire and had them put old tire (with plug in it of all things) on rim so I wouldn’t have to ride around on the donut while they ordered a new tire.

2 days later, went and had the new tire installed. Donut back in trunk. Old continental back in shed in case I ever need again

Thanks- a friend tells me he just bought a '23 Kia CUV and it came with no spare but just a can of sealant. He wanted a donut but can't even order one
you can always order one.. but those might not have an out of the way place to store it... would also need the jack and wrench too.

It's a crapshoot, seems they can last a long time, or sometimes not long at all.

This was the never before mounted donut for my 2015 Genesis in 2020. It still held air, it looked like this 6 months after I last checked the air in it. Went to top it off again and...

View attachment 154942View attachment 154943
What the heck, for lack of another term?

It's a crapshoot, seems they can last a long time, or sometimes not long at all.

This was the never before mounted donut for my 2015 Genesis in 2020. It still held air, it looked like this 6 months after I last checked the air in it. Went to top it off again and...

Out of curiosity, what country was it made in? Couldn't make it out in the photo but hoping the resolution is better on the original.

Kumho Tire is a South Korean tire manufacturer. It is a subsidiary of Chinese tire conglomerate Doublestar.

Last edited:
I carry mini compressors and a Hulkman in both our cars. They come in handy. Astro Al is the compressor I use and it works great. I use it a lot on bike tires and occasionally on the cars. It's not expensive either.

Back