No more donuts for me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little background: about two weeks ago I noticed my car (2000 Acura 3.2TL w/ 209k miles) pulling to the right but I hadn't hit any big potholes or anything but I figured I'd make an appointment for an alignment. It was aligned about a year ago when I put on a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101s in 215/50-17 (Plus-1).

So this past Friday I was driving in to work, zipping along I-285 (ATL perimeter interstate) at 70 mph when the car started shakin' and hollerin' like a banshee! I immediately pulled over to the shoulder (at ~02:30AM so thankfully there was no traffic). Here's my right front wheel/"tire":

24w65fk.jpg

I think the belts were coming apart inside the tire which was causing the car to pull to the right; it finally let go and the tire disintegrated - nothing left but the beads. Since I had pulled over right away, the wheel wasn't even scratched.

I pulled the temporary spare out of the trunk and here's what it looked like:

rvkbp5.jpg

I put it on the car hoping I could limp to the next exit but I hadn't driven more than about 200 ft at about 10 mph when it went flat. I called for a flat bed tow truck and he loaded up the car and took me to a 24 hour tire shop in a bad part of Atlanta. The only 215/50-17 tires he had were two used Falken ZE912s so I had one put on.

So today I took care of the spare tire. I thought about getting the donut temporary spare tire replaced but remembered I had the four original 16" wheels that came on my Acura sitting in the basement. I pulled one out and cleaned it up. I checked the local Discount tire, Pep Boys, NTB and Kauffman Tire and found the cheapest tires in the original 205/60-16 size to be no name (Chinese made) junk. I checked the nearest Walmart TLE and they had one Goodyear Eagle Authority in my size so I brought the 16" wheel there and had them install it. It's made in Chile (meh) with a date code of 3314 so it's not too old. I didn't want to spend $100+ for a high end tire since it is going to be my spare tire.

e9b5ee.jpg

i53n6h.jpg

I feel a lot more confident now that I have a robust full size spare wheel and tire (my 17" wheels are Honda/Enkei so they use the original lugnuts and therefore they'll work with the original 16" wheel). The trunk floor doesn't lay flush with the full size spare but I don't carry anything in the trunk and I'm willing to sacrifice the trunk space for the confidence of having a full size spare. Plus it'll be better for the transmission if I have to put the spare on the front (again).

Now I'm going to look into a full size spare for my wife's '06 Ford Freestyle. Rock Auto has OEM wheels for $129 and I'll put a decent stock size 215/65-17 tire on it.

Anyone else "ditched the donut"?

With a donut, you're not supposed to put it on the drive wheels. Ever. You're supposed to put it on the non-drive end and then move a tire from there to the drive end.

You must've driven quite a few miles with the original tire essentially flat to have it cleanly separate at the sidewalls like that!
Also I think you learned that you should check your spare tire once a year atleast to air it up.
I've run my donut on the Focus for 60 miles at 55 mph on the rear and its fine to do it again sometime if needed.

This is another reason why I have two OEM steel wheels with Michelin tires mounted and balanced in my trunk for cases like this.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
I called for a flat bed tow truck and he loaded up the car and took me to a 24 hour tire shop in a bad part of Atlanta. The only 215/50-17 tires he had were two used Falken ZE912s so I had one put on.

By far the coolest part of the story. Imagine running a 24/7 tire shop and getting customers off tow trucks all odd hours!

Everybody forgets to check them until the worst happens. Donuts should be replaced every 10 years.

The donut was the original that came with the car so it's ~16 years old. It's a Firestone, made in USA. When I put the Dunlops on a year ago it was because I got a flat on the right rear tire. I had a set of Bridgestone RE760 Sports then and they were worn to the point that they were in need of replacement anyway. I was going down the highway (~70 mph) when I heard something hit the car - there were no cars around me. The car's handling felt really sloppy and when I got off the highway at the next exit and pulled into a CVS parking lot, I saw that I had a flat tire. There was a cut in the shoulder of the tire where the sidewall meets the tread. The tire was flat but the whole tire was there.

When this blowout occurred, the car's handling was not sloppy at all, just the pull to the right. I pulled over within a couple hundred feet of the loud noise - it was immediate. I don't think the tire was flat until it let go catastrophically.

Originally Posted By: Run
Donuts should be replaced every 10 years.

Technically, even full size spare tires should be replaced this often.

My 97' Camry had a donut, my current 2000 Camry has a full size spare from the factory. When I bought the car a little over 2 months ago, it had the original spare tire for some reason on the car while one of the current Goodyear Eagle GTs from 2012 was in the trunk. I had all 4 tires replaced and I put one of the other Goodyears in the trunk filled up to 40 psi, it'll take a while for it to run low. I always like to over inflate spare tires. I keep a tire gauge in my car all the time so if I need the spare I can always air it down.

When i bought my g35 used. It didn't have a spare in it and the dealership tried to throw in a spare space saving one. I gave them the finger and told him my car had the prem package and it came with a OEM full size tire. They really didn't believe me but i did have proof with paperwork on package. But they just agreed to finish up the sale.

After 2 months, A g35 finally came in on trade in and they took that spare tire and gave it to me.

I dislike the space savers but i understand the usage. Many people dont

YES the 24 hour tire shop is pretty dope. Dont think we have one in chicago, not even the bad parts

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Can you even buy and mount a replacement donut spare tire or just the whole tire/rim from a dealer?

Tire rack has just the donuts, unmounted. You have to dig to find them.

wow glad you didn't crash!

how long was it pulling to the right for?

tire was probably low and caused the car to turn towards to low tire... then overheated and blew up

Originally Posted By: Blokey
When this blowout occurred, the car's handling was not sloppy at all, just the pull to the right. I pulled over within a couple hundred feet of the loud noise - it was immediate. I don't think the tire was flat until it let go catastrophically.

It probably had a nail in it. A tire with 15 psi in it won't look very low or handle especially bad, but after a short distance at freeway speed will end up like your Dunlop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back